So, I just got a score of 22 on my ACTs.

OoOoO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like crying. It was my first attempt without studying. I don't know though. I feel like I could have done better. I'm trying to shoot for a 27 or 28, but now I feel like that's impossible. I've been studying recently, taking practice test and stuff but I feel like I'm just not good at standarized tests. =(

My GPA is a 4.0 though and I feel like I'm just going to get into a community college if I get a 22 on the february one.

Members don't see this ad.

Some people do better on the SAT than the ACT. Try taking the SAT and see if you do better on that one.

Also, studying always helps. Always. So don't give up! Start now and study a half hour every day. There are threads on this forum that recommend which books to use, and if you can't buy the books or get them from your local library, then look online for the few hundred or so ACT and SAT help sites. You're not doomed to your 22.

I feel like crying. It was my first attempt without studying. I don't know though. I feel like I could have done better. I'm trying to shoot for a 27 or 28, but now I feel like that's impossible. I've been studying recently, taking practice test and stuff but I feel like I'm just not good at standarized tests. =(

My GPA is a 4.0 though and I feel like I'm just going to get into a community college if I get a 22 on the february one.

Where do you want to go to college? What are the ACT scores like for matriculants? It has been a while, but my recollection is that the score you are "shooting" for, a 27 or 28, isn't exactly stellar and certainly is not competitive for the top schools...

If you are this ill prepared for the February ACT, you need to cancel and reschedule for later in the year, and in the meantime, get it in gear and do some serious prep...invest in a Kaplan style online class if necessary...

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people do better on the SAT than the ACT. Try taking the SAT and see if you do better on that one.

Also, studying always helps. Always. So don't give up! Start now and study a half hour every day. There are threads on this forum that recommend which books to use, and if you can't buy the books or get them from your local library, then look online for the few hundred or so ACT and SAT help sites. You're not doomed to your 22.

Where do you want to go to college? What are the ACT scores like for matriculants? It has been a while, but my recollection is that the score you are "shooting" for, a 27 or 28, isn't exactly stellar and certainly is not competitive for the top schools...

If you are this ill prepared for the February ACT, you need to cancel and reschedule for later in the year, and in the meantime, get it in gear and do some serious prep...invest in a Kaplan style online class if necessary...

I'm taking Kaplan classes, and I want to go to STLCOP. Their average ACT score is a 28, so that's why i'm shooting for that or I want to go to UIllinois. This was my first ACT, and I didn't exactly study for it, but now I started studying.

And plus I'm scared of showing my dad my score. :(

I'm taking Kaplan classes, and I want to go to STLCOP. Their average ACT score is a 28, so that's why i'm shooting for that or I want to go to UIllinois. This was my first ACT, and I didn't exactly study for it, but now I started studying.

Aim higher than a 28. Be aware that many schools give automatic merit scholarships for ACT scores in the 30s...I scored a 32 and got a merit scholarship that covered half my college tuition...it was an unexpected bonus for me.

Plus, you may change your mind on your target schools and want to aim higher...

Stop worrying. My friend is a senior and is 15th in his class with a 3.75 GPA and a 26 ACT and a 1800 SAT. He got into Uconn and a bunch of other schools, he got a full ride to two so far. Study a little harder for the SAT/ACT.

Don't worry. People learn from mistakes. Study hard from now on, you will be fine. :)

Yeah don't give up. What year of school are you in? Try the SAT, and keep studying and taking practice tests for both. Keep taking the real thing too-some people's scores vary by several points each time, and third test is supposed to be your peak.

Yeah don't give up. What year of school are you in? Try the SAT, and keep studying and taking practice tests for both. Keep taking the real thing too-some people's scores vary by several points each time, and third test is supposed to be your peak.

Okay, if you haven't taken if yet, don't freak out.

I actually scored lower than you did, and I felt the same way. All because I didn't study, plus I'm a very slow test taker. On the practice tests I did great though.

Surely you can just take it again, and maybe now you'll know how much you need to study!

The ACT is just one of many factors colleges look at. Like you said, it was your first! Study. Study. Study. Practice. Practice. Practice. Your scores for it will improve for sure. Best of luck !

22 first time, without studying is not that bad. My first time I got a 25. I have a 32 now. That is, of course, a 7 point rise. My suggestions are take the ACT as many times as you can, be prepared, and don't stress. Stress will kill you on it. Also ACT is only 1 thing colleges look at and don't forget to at least try the SAT. You also say you felt like you could have done better. Then do it. What were your weak sections?

And, not to be an Ahole or anything, but you got a 22 on your ACT, not ACTS.

Really, you should study and try again. My first time I got a 21. Ended up with a 35. So it's definitely possible to increase your score by quite a few points. Also, I echo the SAT comments. I have quite a few friends that did much much better on the SAT. It's just a different format. I preferred the ACT, but it's different for each person.

And don't be scared of telling your dad. A 22 is not the end of the world by any stretch. Just try again.

What subject did you struggle most in? Why did you find it hard? Figure that out and go from there. If you can't remember formulas, learn those. If your English was a problem, review grammar topics. etc...

Good luck!

Don't worry. On my "cold" MCAT I got a 19 (super bad, way below average) and on the real thing I got a 34 (90-93 percentile).

Wanna know how I did it?

STUDYING!!! You need to study. Familiarize yourself with the testing format. Take practice sections -- not "feel good" sections where you feel like you know the material, but sections you struggle with.

Further, I think I got a 25 of my first ACT and a 27 on the next one. Just because you don't ace the ACT's doesn't mean you are going to die alone and broke. I got into medical school and you can too. You will have plenty of times in college where you do poorly on an exam but the key will be LEARNING from your mistake. Keep your head up, study and you will be OK.

You shouldn't be at all worried. With a 4.0 GPA, you're already set. Most schools will look at your GPA, then look at the ACT scores and say "hmm.. this person must have had a rough morning or was too nervous taking the test."

It really won't deter your chances of getting into an awesome school. Take the SAT, take the ACT again, and then send your best total scores to the schools you apply too. However, if you keep up that 4.0, you'll be golden.

Are we taking about top schools, or any good schools? A 27 or 28 on the ACT is fantastic and will get you into a bunch of schools, including the vast majority of state schools.

According to data on my school from the last five years, the students who got into Boston College(a very good school) had an average ACT score of 27, UCONN was a 26, Colgate was a 29, George Washington University was a 28, Holy Cross was a 26, UMASS Amherst was a 26, Northeastern a 25, 29 for Tufts University, 29 for Tulane, 29 for NYU, a 28 for Boston University, etc.

Basically while doing well on standardized tests certainly helps your application, it doesn't define it, and just because you didn't score well enough to go into a "top school" doesn't mean that you still won't end up somewhere fabulous :D:)

I think flip was talking Top schools, with the capital T.

It's true that 25-28 is the average for a lot of great schools, the impetus behind a lot of this +30 craze is scholarships, which you don't get by having the average score. But as a score in general, a 28 is nothing to sneeze at, and in the end, they're only one part of your application.

The thing is that you never studied for the ACT. I first took the PSAT and got a 165, which is slightly higher than average. 2 years later after many months of studying, I had a score that turned me into a National Merit Semifinalist.

Also, the forum I was formerly addicted to about a year ago was College Confidential. There are a whole bunch of tips and crap on there.

Remember that the ACT doesn't test you on math/reading/science, but on how well you know how to take the ACT.