so...I pissed of the Director of Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sartre79

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which of the 6,974 stupid policies at the U of MN do you disagree with?

Sartre79 said:
Yeah, I had a phone meeting with her (U of MN) and I said that one of their policies was kind of unfair to in-state applicants and she blew up at me. My stomach feels so sick...how could I piss off my in-state school's Dir of Admissions. I did email her a letter of apolgy, but I doubt that matters. Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where were you in the admission's process?

Pre-interview?
Post?
Accepted?
Waitlisted?
Rejected?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sartre79 said:
Yeah, I had a phone meeting with her (U of MN) and I said that one of their policies was kind of unfair to in-state applicants and she blew up at me. My stomach feels so sick...how could I piss off my in-state school's Dir of Admissions. I did email her a letter of apolgy, but I doubt that matters. Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well was this a phone meeting because you were rejected? If so, who cares about pissing them off? Btw, I agree the policies at that school are *****ic. It actually pisses me off a lot.

delete

Last edited:
delete

Last edited:
Sartre79 said:

Good for you, speak your mind. You don't have to agree with every policy in the school. If she has any character at all she won't get up in arms about over a disagreement. I wouldn't worry, I think she'll forget about this long before you will.

I know a lot of people who think that their admissions process is a joke.

Its too bad because they are good school.

This is not just my opinion, nearly every person I have talked to personally had issues with them in several aspects of their process.

The most telling were horror stories I heard from a number of people in the "Med Scholars Program". MN's version of way-early-acceptance program.

if one gets rejected from a school for a stupid reason, that school isnt worthy of attending anyway

Shredder said:
if one gets rejected from a school for a stupid reason, that school isnt worthy of attending anyway

True. However...

For MN who believe that their state school is 'not worthy of attending', we are kind of stuck. We could go to Duluth, but you have to put on a face like you are wanting to go into rural primary care, or work in a Native American community. For some, that is just not true.

Wisconsin and Iowa are more in-state focused and it has been tough in the past for MN residents to get in at either place.

So if Duluth is not a good fit, you are hating UMinn, and Wisconsin and Iowa won't accept you, what's a Minnesotan to do?

Pay outstate tuition for a private school I guess...

MN81 said:
True. However...

For MN who believe that their state school is 'not worthy of attending', we are kind of stuck. We could go to Duluth, but you have to put on a face like you are wanting to go into rural primary care, or work in a Native American community. For some, that is just not true.

Wisconsin and Iowa are more in-state focused and it has been tough in the past for MN residents to get in at either place.

So if Duluth is not a good fit, you are hating UMinn, and Wisconsin and Iowa won't accept you, what's a Minnesotan to do?

Exactly. It sucks to be in-state MN. UMN does not treat its instate students as well as most public state schools treat their instates. Tuition is just one other aspect. Like 30k/yr for in-state tuition! And they give "out-of-state tuition waivers" to most oos people. After my UMN rejection I'm stuck at a private school in a city i don't like paying $40k/yr.

delete

Last edited:
MN81 said:
True. However...

pride definitely comes at a cost

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious....are people who attend Duluth obligated to do rural primary care? It seems people can say whatever they need to say to get in, and then do whatever they want once accepted...

Sartre79 said:
What do you mean?
if youre going to "reject" schools bc they piss you off or wrong you, the cost of maintaining that level of pride is clear. so its a tradeoff between pride and practicality

I don't wrong you for speaking your mind. Though personally, I would have kept my mouth shut. Maybe I might hate the admissions process and the people behind the process but if I really want to get into that school I'd just bite my tongue and keep it moving.

I don't wrong you for speaking your mind. Though personally, I would have kept my mouth shut. Maybe I might hate the admissions process and the people behind the process but if I really want to get into that school I'd just bite my tongue and keep it moving.

8. Year. Old. Thread.

Edit: Oh, it's 2015. This thread is almost 9 years old.

Reactions: 13 users
How did you even find this?! haha

Reactions: 1 user

what have you done!!

Reactions: 1 users
Now I wonder what happened to this guy, if he had to reapply and actually got into umn next year because they changed the policy after hearing his complaint

Reactions: 1 users
Now I wonder what happened to this guy, if he had to reapply and actually got into umn next year because they changed the policy after hearing his complaint
Some creeping reveals he went to Creighton as part of the Class of 2011(?)

Reactions: 3 users