So if Dentistry is Saturated..what else?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentistry3399

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear this all the time, especially in these forums, that it is not a good idea to go into dentistry because of the saturation, $400K+ debt, etc. If dentistry is such a waste of time and money, and I won't get what I expect in return, what else do you guys expect us to do? What is the alternative?

Pharmacy- saturated, too many graduates
Medical- too many years, too much investment
Dental Hygiene- no jobs, low money
PA- no independence, lower money than doctoral level

So....with all of these prereqs done and on my way...what else could we do?!

Members don't see this ad.

Blue collar. While I never did have a back up plan for D school, if I was absolutely forced to have something this would be it. There is a huge shortage in this country, especially for certain blue collar jobs like welding for instance. You could be pretty successful in it, even more than being a dentist if you know what youre doing and heck even if you dont judging by some guys I know.

But Im not worried about oversaturation in dentistry. Its only an issue if you want to live in a major city. Dont know why anybody would want to.

Reactions: 1 users
I hear this all the time, especially in these forums, that it is not a good idea to go into dentistry because of the saturation, $400K+ debt, etc. If dentistry is such a waste of time and money, and I won't get what I expect in return, what else do you guys expect us to do? What is the alternative?

Psychiatry or other cush medical specialty ( they're out there just have to do a little investigating). Two of the last four years you can moonlight making as much as a newly minted dentist, so it's actually a similar time and money investment to dentistry. Don't let the residency thing scare you. Most dental students end up doing a gpr or aged anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just an FYI, most medical specialities have saturation issues in major metro areas too. Who would have thought that many very intelligent and educated people making six figures want to live in larger cities rather than the boonies ?

Reactions: 2 users
Psychiatry or other cush medical specialty ( they're out there just have to do a little investigating). Two of the last four years you can moonlight making as much as a newly minted dentist, so it's actually a similar time and money investment to dentistry. Don't let the residency thing scare you. Most dental students end up doing a gpr or aged anyway.

You could probably not have picked a specialty more dissimilar from dentistry o_O

Be a CRNA.

www.gaswork.com

Reactions: 1 user
Every job worth doing is over saturated.
And the grass is always greener on the other side.

Just look at these forums, medical so go to Dental and Dental says not worth it look elsewhere and the list goes on.

Business is high risk and high reward, more business men won't make it big while many dentist will be comfortable.

The truth is in nearly every field of work there will be those who make a ton of money and those who struggle. So why dentistry? Well hopefully because it is something you enjoy and that should be enough to make you choose it, and secondly while you may not clear 200k and have a lot of debt to pay off, your net take home money after loans will still be enough to live a comfortable life and you'd be better off than most people in the country.

If you are interested in just living comfortably you can take your shot at any other career and you will probably ask yourself similar questions you are now. It's just life.

Reactions: 13 users
I've always found it interesting how most med students/physicians are quick to attack mid-levels' experience/education/ validity of independent provider status etc. but also quick to recommend those same careers to college students as alternatives to medicine.

They attack midlevels because they are encroaching on physician turf, and they recommend midlevels as a career because they are encroaching on physician turf.

Reactions: 3 users
I work in a psych field and the crazy are driving me crazy. I would love to have interactions with normal humans on a daily basis. Please accept me, any dental school

They attack midlevels because they are encroaching on physician turf, and they recommend midlevels as a career because they are encroaching on physician turf.
Yes and in most of their minds providing inferior quality compared to a physician, yet they want other people to continue the trend? ( Not trying to pick a personal argument with you btw, just noticed this pattern)

My first question would be, why healthcare? If you spent a great deal of time thinking about that already and you are 100% set on it, then consider what you would enjoy doing the most.
Then, consider how you can make it financially sustainable. You can always find a way to make it work in ANY of these professions. One thing I really don't understand is how people equate high competition with 0% chance of getting a job.

If you really want to do pharmacy and you find that the only sustainable option is to go to rural areas, you need to ask yourself if that's worth it.
If not, then move on to the next.

The most important thing is that you have to grasp the profession as whole and not just what interests you. Everything has pros and cons about lifestyle, money, etc. Research and make a choice you'll be happy with.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Things won't be good again until the higher education bubble bursts

Some fats are also saturated. Doesn't mean they're not delicious.

This is a dental metaphor. Think about it :corny:

Reactions: 20 users

engineering

I tend to believe that everything will bound back and forth until equilibrium, just think about what you want to do everyday and go for it. As long as you passionate about it, you will earn more than enough. My uncle is a hygienist in New York, he just love his job and earn more than 100K.

I tend to believe that everything will bound back and forth until equilibrium, just think about what you want to do everyday and go for it. As long as you passionate about it, you will earn more than enough. My uncle is a hygienist in New York, he just love his job and earn more than 100K.
I just want to play destiny all day but my parents keep telling me "get a job you bum, you can't live off us forever" hopefully my private practice can be well off without me so I can stay home and play destiny

"So if dentistry is saturated then what else" drop a mixtape..

Hey ! Buy my mixtape

you say we gotta worry about over saturation
and that I'm better off working at the local gas station
yea i got no worries, no new plans or deviation
I'm gonna be a dentist who's always on vacation...:banana:..

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Get a computer science degree. My buddy isn't even done with undergrad and he already accepted a job offer that will start him at 120k.

Get a computer science degree. My buddy isn't even done with undergrad and he already accepted a job offer that will start him at 120k.

Not everyone is good at coding. I was a computer science major. sucked at programming.

Hey ! Buy my mixtape

you say we gotta worry about over saturation
and that I'm better off working at the local gas station
yea i got no worries, no new plans or deviation
I'm gonna be a dentist who's always on vacation...:banana:..

They say dentistry is gettin hit with some renovation..
Man it's really draining all my d*mn patience..
What's a man gonna tell all his patients
When we losin our jobs to the d*mn corporations
It's got a man faintin
If I'm not mistaken
Gotta get a loan that cost more than 100 d*mn vacations
And all these people tell me to hasten
Find a new job but I ain't Caucasian
So I won't be an easy sensation
I gotta break my back climbin like the Appalachians
This world ain't set up for a man, can't do no fine tastin
While companies just copy and pastin
Maybe I'll just hit this hookah some more
I need some additional coal
I'm down to my final four
I gotta hit the store
Before it starts to pour
It's feelin like a chore
They sayin it's bad for my teeth
They expect me to just eat leaves
I'm a man I need some beef
But Imma leave it here
Besides, I'm Muslim I can't even have a beer

Reactions: 5 users
It's got a man faintin
If I'm not mistaken
I gotta hit the store
Before it starts to pour
It's feelin like a chore
But Imma leave it here

Nice mixtape, fam

It's got a man faintin
If I'm not mistaken
I gotta hit the store
Before it starts to pour
It's feelin like a chore
But Imma leave it here

hahaha awesome id buy it come sell ur mixtape at my gas station

It's got a man faintin
If I'm not mistaken
I gotta hit the store
Before it starts to pour
It's feelin like a chore
But Imma leave it here

Need a hype man? I can make realistic pew pew sounds with my mouth

Need a hype man? I can make realistic pew pew sounds with my mouth
Music doesn't go viral without a hype man. Listen to the Adele song "hello" my buddy is in the background yellin "rahhh, pow pow pow, hella" and other words that's why it's so popular supposedly. In other words you're hired

ahh i just thought of a great name for my practice "Dental Rap" that should bring in some patients in the good o"l Detroit

Pretty much anything in engineering/CS/IT is more than likely going to be pretty stable for the next few decades and will provide a pretty comfortable salary. I'm willing to bet if you get a degree in any of these fields or related you're going to be doing pretty well for a good while. The only drawbacks are that in CS you're more likely to be a grunt worker grinding out code all day, in engineering you're going to have supervisors pushing deadlines on you/working long hours, and in IT you're going to have to fix your clients "broken" printer/computer/phone ten times in one week. That being said, if you're fine with all of that they're not bad options.

The only drawbacks are that in CS you're more likely to be a grunt worker grinding out code all day, in engineering you're going to have supervisors pushing deadlines on you/working long hours, and in IT you're going to have to fix your clients "broken" printer/computer/phone ten times in one week.

The drawback of being a new dental associate is you're more likely to be a grunt worker grinding out fillings all day for a low percentage, with an office manager clueless in dentistry thinking she knows more than you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The drawback of being a new dental associate is you're more likely to be a grunt worker grinding out fillings all day for a low percentage.

For sure. My point was that even with these degrees that (from all I've seen) seem to be pretty solid, they all still have their drawbacks. Everyone seems to be looking for the one degree that will be a fast track to a high salary with minimal stress which is fine however I don't think you are going to find that, at least not without a ton of effort.

These discussions appear regularly and I have yet to have to responded to one until now. I too shared the same fears, doubts and confusion about choosing a career and after a year of reading these depressing forums, I decided to just quit for a while. It gave my confidence a bit of a boost. With regards to your question and I a don't know your age or your background so will assume you are still young, 20s perhaps? Everyone's situation is different... a clique I know but damn it, so important to keep in mind when you are trying to make a career decision.
Some graduates will have loans, and will spend years paying them off while at the same time living a lifestyle that I would not consider (wealthy) but upper middle class perhaps or even slightly lower. You cover your monthly bills, have a decent home, a couple cars, spending money for luxuries (shopping) etc. but again all in perspective.While others make it rich very quickly.

I only started college at the age of 28; cannot share all my details but i am now in engineering at a small company making $80k. Some would consider this ok salary, but realistically consider what you bring home after tax, insurance (which is damn costly if your family has health issues), school loans etc, debt you ran up while in college to pay bills.
I hate my job; its stressful, boring and cut throat competitive and this is a small company and I know of others working for Fort 500 companies sharing the same sentiment. But also those that love it.

Take these examples: person A graduates from dental school with no loans (parents paid for education), person B graduates from dental school with loans (but parents help pay off significant portion, person C graduates from dental school with loans & has to pay it off themselves but gets help from parents/family with child care, other kinds of support etc, person D graduates from dental school with loans & has to pay it off & support their parents or (no parents at all) or has no family for any support.

Which person is better off? I mention these examples simply to illustrate that in any career choice, there are pros and cons. You may enjoy your first choice and life treats you well or you may choose a career and end up hating it. Its a chance you take but can be a calculated choice based on choosing a career that you feel you will enjoy not a career, like in my case - choose something quickly that is shortest path & decent salary. By the way, in college we were told, starting salaries would be around $70-$80k. I started with $50k and after 6 years up to $80k, I could have chosen to move to another company but for the last 2-3 years it helped me to stay here as it was flexible and allowed me to take the science prereqs I need to change my career.

Make the decision based on what you want to do for the next 20+ years, how you see yourself in retirement, what kind of lifestyle you want, what is most important to you(money or happiness), what you excel at etc. I can tell you this, I am pushing 40 and every doctor, dentist I have met....from my perspective as I can only view the material things (home, car etc) live decent lives. A few I know well, and they fall into person category A or B above.

Just to add as well. This country is not what it once was and things are going to change in coming years. It may be hard to accept but just looking at the rate of poverty, unemployment, number of wars, spending, rise of other countries; who know how long we have to enjoy life's simple pleasures before things change to an extent where the US $ no longer holds any value and inflation hits sky high, civil unrest etc. A doctor may always have a job even then, but one thing is certain, life styles will change.

Good luck to you and hope this was somewhat helpful.

The drawback of being a new dental associate is you're more likely to be a grunt worker grinding out fillings all day for a low percentage, with an office manager clueless in dentistry thinking she knows more than you.

Have you always been such a negative person or is this just since dental school...WOW.

I've never met an unemployed dentist. Sometimes you have to move where the jobs are.

Have you always been such a negative person or is this just since dental school...WOW.

I keep it real for you guys. What would be so cool is if you pmed me 1-2 years after you're done with dental school to tell me " You were wrong, I'm doing awesome, and life is great". But for now, I'm going to keep sharing my experiences and hopefully some will be more prepared for the road ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I keep it real for you guys. What would be so cool is if you pmed me 1-2 years after you're done with dental school to tell me " You were wrong, I'm doing awesome, and life is great".
And if/when we do, it'll be because you and other dentists "keep it real" and let us know what sort of obstacles to anticipate in the future. Thanks again, man, really appreciate your feedback.

Reactions: 5 users
From what I understand, CRNA or nurse practitioner are great fields. However, I would think that before you get into these programs, you must work as an RN for a few years right?

From what I understand, CRNA or nurse practitioner are great fields. However, I would think that before you get into these programs, you must work as an RN for a few years right?

Haha there is a nurse-anesthesia website for CRNAs just like SDN......yeah, there are more saturation post over there than here. At least Dentists don't have to compete with MDs.

I'll worry about dentistry being over-saturated when dentists no longer have the highest loan repayment rate of any health specialty. ;)

Don't know anything about dentistry, just happened upon this post for some reason.

But anyway, as far as NP programs are concerned, they are basically diploma mills, the worst of which allow any nurse with a pulse to practice their shoddy brand of cookbook medicine on real patients after a few months of online classes. Also, there is no strict requirement for previous nursing experience.

Doesn't sound too much different than many dental schools, tbh (in the future)

I don't know the situation with dental school, but at least you do not have people with half of your education and training claiming they can do your job as well as you can. The sad thing is that the government is willing to cheapen the quality of US healthcare just to save a buck by allowing NPs to practice independently in many states (w/o physician supervision). The sad thing is patients are none the wiser.

I don't know the situation with dental school, but at least you do not have people with half of your education and training claiming they can do your job as well as you can. The sad thing is that the government is willing to cheapen the quality of US healthcare just to save a buck by allowing NPs to practice independently in many states (w/o physician supervision). The sad thing is patients are none the wiser.
We do actually. Dental therapists are apparently a thing.

That school should be boycotted. Who is teaching them? Why are dentists jeopardizing the profession?

If it's anything like in medicine it's probably for money. Money now, consequences later (that the future generation can deal with).

These types of short programs are probably very lucrative for the schools that offer them, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more programs cropping up.