So let me get this straight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArizonaVet480

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
less than average gpa, less than average mcat but urm and a non trad vet equals me school? True or false?

Members don't see this ad.

Let me whip out my crystal ball...

Hmmm. It says "error 404: answer not found". Weird.

(Which is a snarky way of saying "We can't answer a question with so little to go on.")

Reactions: 15 users
More than 93% of matriculants successfully complete medical school. It is possible for a non-trad to have a poor GPA but have a strong post-bac such that the GPA does not reflect the applicant's fund of knowledge and work ethic. There is little difference in the proportion of applicants who successfully complete medical school in 4 years between those who had MCAT scores of 27 and those who had scores of 35.

If an applicant has GPA and MCAT indicative of someone who can successfully complete medical school and if they bring maturity and life experiences to the classroom and the practice of medicine, what's not to love?

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, out of curiosity, I plugged in "average stats" + "URM" + "Veteran" into my ARS algorithm and came up with a score of 37, which is a very low E level (aka noncompetitive). I excluded any research, volunteering, teaching, leadership outside the military (I assumed military included some leadership experience), grade trends, or prestigious school points.

The threshold for D level, which is the next higher level, is a 60.

So no, I think your math is wrong.

There's more to an applicant than those 4 factors.

Reactions: 2 users
So, out of curiosity, I plugged in "average stats" + "URM" + "Veteran" into my ARS algorithm and came up with a score of 37, which is a very low E level (aka noncompetitive). I excluded any research, volunteering, teaching, leadership outside the military (I assumed military included some leadership experience), grade trends, or prestigious school points.

The threshold for D level, which is the next higher level, is a 60.

So no, I think your math is wrong.

There's more to an applicant than those 4 factors.

It depends on what you define as average. The average African American MD matriculant has a 3.4/27. The vast majority of URMs with 3.4/27's get in somewhere who apply. "Average" stats for URMs mean very different things than for non URMs. And to a lesser extent, you could say the same thing for military vets; "average" stats for them means something different as well.

While the OP's question is rather superficial and an over-simplification all the way, the answer is pretty clear to their question; the majority of people with those characteristics are accepted. It's just not many people have those characteristics.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on what you define as average. The average African American MD matriculant has a 3.4/27. The vast majority of URMs with 3.4/27's get in somewhere who apply. "Average" stats for URMs mean very different things than for non URMs. And to a lesser extent, you could say the same thing for military vets; "average" stats for them means something different as well.

I put it at 3.6/30 to get this score (though the point I was trying to make in my previous post was just that this process is multifactorial and that if you have none of the other experiences I've listed, you're probably DOA regardless).

What was unclear about the answers in the last thread you created that you hope to clarify through that jumbled sentence?

Reactions: 1 users
less than average gpa, less than average mcat but urm and a non trad vet equals me school? True or false?
What does "equals me school" mean? I'm guessing it's a typo but want to believe you're actually a pirate

Reactions: 1 user

4206230_700b.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Sounds like an interesting proposition but yes it was a typo.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What do you mean average GPA and MCAT? like below average as in 3.5/30? Yea, theyll probably get in.

If youre talking below the NATIONAL average, like 3.0/24, then no, probably wont get in.

Reactions: 1 user
Better chance for an II; getting accepted is totally on you.

Also, it's NOT merely numbers, but the entire package that counts. A URM applicant who has zero volunteering and shadowing, and zero patient contact experience will get a nice rejection letter. Ditto with a US Army Medal of Honor winner.

And BTW, half of med students will have GPAs and MCAT less than average, at any given school.

Also, it's NOT merely numbers, but the entire package that counts. A URM applicant who has zero volunteering and shadowing, and zero patient contact experience will get a nice rejection letter. Ditto with a US Army Medal of Honor winner.

And BTW, half of med students will have GPAs and MCAT less than average, at any given school.
Except for Step 1 school averages. All medical schools have Step 1 scores above average.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Cxcept for Step 1 school averages. All medical schools have Step 1 scores above average.
I thought that was because they're talking about the overall average? Like including all the people in other countries, joke IMG programs, etc.

Just imagine how many people in the Caribbean alone take that test only to fall flat on their faces. Then consider every other person on the planet who wants to practice in the US and thinks they just need to pass Step 1

Anyone else think of the band Anberlin after reading the thread's title? :horns:

Just like the kids in Lake Wobegone!
Yes, where all the Women are strong, All the Professors are good looking, and all the med students are above average.

And all SDN posters are NPR junkies.

Last edited:

Not sure how others feel about URM/Vet advantages, but if I were a top 20 adcom:

-I would interview a non-deployed admin/cook/CSS with the school's average stats.

-I would interview a Bronze Star w/V or multiple service commendation medals with a 3.0/30

-I would interview Silver Star Infantry or a Distinguished Flying Cross Aviator with a 2.50/25.

-I would admit a Medal of Honor winner like MSG Roy Benavidez straightaway without an interview. Maybe even without an application. Could plugging GSWs with your own fingers be considered shadowing or clinical experience?

Of course, instead of doing any of those things, It'd be a lot easier to just study hard, do well in school / on a test, and volunteer.

I see it less as an "advantage" and more of a "restitution".