So many questions!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lgooden

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I pretty new here. I have some questions about pharmCAS and admissions and stuff. I will be applying for fall 2005. First of all on the PharmCAS school pages where the "expected GPA" is listed does that mean the minimum or the average? Some distinctly said minimum, but many did not, and I don't want to bother applying if they won't even look at my app due to my gpa.

Second, I just got my BS in Materials Engineering from the University of Cincinnati. I graduated with about a 3.1 cum 3.0 science and will have about a 3.2 by the end of summer and 3.25 or so possible by the end of fall quarter. My math gpa is a little below a 3 (like a 2.8 or something) due to taking 4-5 cr hour calculus classes, Differential equations etc.... I don't want to have to take those over, but will if necessary. My pharmCAS gpa will be about .1 lower due do repeated courses and stuff. I believe pharmacy would be a much better fit for me than engineering, and I am confident in my abilities to succeed in pharmacy school. I am just worried I won?t even get an interview with my gpa.

I just want opinions on what kind of chance you guys think I have of getting in somewhere, and possible recommendations for schools to apply to. I would like to stay in the Midwest, but if getting in means going elsewhere, then that's what I'll do. I am currently considering UC, OSU, Butler, UIC, Midwestern Chicago, UK, and Creighton. Do schools care that much about your math gpa? Will it help some that I have an engineering degree and took some very difficult classes? There is no distinct trend in my grades. They have improved some in the past few quarters, but I always seem to get all A's and the 1 C or something. I have only been working at Walgreens since March, but I do have some tech experience. I think my EC are pretty good...I have been really involved lots of organizations (held positions and stuff), tutoring, volunteering, Indoor Drumline, and I was on the women's rowing team for 3 years. I think my gpa suffered because I was over involved. I have also had a lot of customer service positions and 6 quarters of co-op with Toyota (engineering stuff), and did a year's worth of biomaterials research last year. Would admissions care about any of this stuff? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I did really well in high school (suburban public school) ? 4.1, top 5% of class, 28 ACT, 1300 SAT, offered full ride with stipend to Ohio state etc?and was really involved in sports/band/church. Should I include info from high school even though that was five years ago? Or will that just make it look like I slacked off in college?

Thanks so much!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer: Most schools will completely understand the calc 3, 4, or 5 issue. I have several engineers in my Class, and I'm sure they aren't expected to have the same GPA in calc 4 that someone else had in (insert other, random, non-pre-req class here, such as "bowling"). Consider UofM too.

Thanks. Does UofM take a lot of out of state students even though they are a public institution?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello anyone out there? I see a lot of people have read this post, but only 1 person responded. Does anyone at least know the answer to the 1st question?

On the PharmCAS school pages where the "expected GPA" is listed does that mean the minimum or the average? Some distinctly said minimum, but many did not. I just want to know if it says expected GPA 3.5 and does not say average; does that mean they won't even look at your application if you have below that?

Thanks!

I think it means average, but I'm not for sure. 3.5 is way too high to be the minimum.