So many things to prepare...yet none is ready and I'm out of time.. HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JinTaek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, how are you doing?

My name is Jin Seo, I'm a student who is preparing for applying at some optometry schools.

After graduating from N.C State in 2012, I've been working at local restaurant for living money and studying OAT time to time. Oh yes, I just got my shadowing started last week, planning on doing at least 8 hours a week, so I would have at least 50+ hours of shadowing experience when I applied to schools.

It is really hard to keep up with real life stress and studying in same time. I'm getting so much stress trying to deal both in same time in schedule and most of the time, it fails:smack:.. However, the time went so fast, it is almost time to apply.. I believe starting July 15th.:eek:

I graduated from N.C State with 2.96 GPA as Zoology major in 2012, took a microbiology class this semester (Got A! :D). I'm planning to take biochemistry class here in N.C State in summer session between July 1st to August 6th.

Now I know I have to use OptomCAS website to apply to all the optometry schools that I'm interested in. But I have some few questions.

1) When should I take the OAT exam??- I've been studying with Kaplan OAT test prep books and honestly I'm not quiet ready to take the test. I do know that it is always good to apply early as possible. I'm thinking take the exam end of the June, so I start my summer session. Oh and Yes.. one more thing to ask.. When should I apply to take the test? how long prior to actual test date? I tried to check but it seems like I have to pay first and I do not have the money at the moment.. :mad::mad:

2) Can I update my submitted applications?? - Now this questions sounds dumb but I want to take the chance. I was wondering if I could still update shadowing hours, better OAT scores or even class credits after I submitted the application to schools. So for example, I could apply on July 15th with my OAT-pending scores and some shadowing hours. Then maybe I could update my application with official OAT scores, more shadowing hours, and biochemistry credit (summer sessions). I'm kind of confused because the application process last so long (July to March) so I'm wondering if I could. But if not, I guess I have to wait until I'm fully ready to finally apply once for all ?

3) Where Can I go with my spec.. safely..:confused:
- By the time I finish my summer class in August 1st, I would have most of all the requirement class credits(with some recommanded classes) with 2.9X undergrad GPA, 60~70 shadowing hours, hopefully decent OAT score that I will take in late June. I know that I do not have good academic performance and I am very worried that I won't get into any of the schools. My personal choices are ICO, MCPHC, UAB, SCO and NECO. Is there any optometry school that do not accept students under 3.0 GPA? :( I want to apply somewhere I can get in safely so I can start my optometry school fast as I can.

I hope you guys would help me out here, I do not have lots of time on the computer to check everyday but I think I can log in with my phone and read through. You could say 'do everything done by august 1st and that's only chance you have!' :laugh: haha.. I have shadowings during the day time and work at night till 11 PM almost everyday. I appreciate for you help and considerations!

Members don't see this ad.

Do well on the OAT and you might have a chance. It seems like a high OAT score (350 or higher) can some times compensate for a low GPA.

Yes, applying early helps, so try to plan it so that if you do need to retake the OAT, you have enough time to do so. So for example, if you're planning to take it for the first time in June, be aware that you have to wait 3 months before you can take it again, so that would be in Sept...which is still fairly early in the cycle.

Register to take the OAT at least 1 month in advance so you can get the date and time slot that you want. It's probably a good idea to register for it even earlier, like 2-3 months in advance, just so that you can mark your calendar and efficiently plan your time & study better. If you keep studying for the exam little by little each day (and haven't actually set a test date yet), you might keep pushing it back...risking further delays.

and yes, you can submit your optomcas app (as long as you have your transcripts and letters of recommendation) and update it later. Optomcas allows you to update your app one time, I think it's in mid-february.

Good luck!

Hi guys, how are you doing?

My name is Jin Seo, I'm a student who is preparing for applying at some optometry schools.

After graduating from N.C State in 2012, I've been working at local restaurant for living money and studying OAT time to time. Oh yes, I just got my shadowing started last week, planning on doing at least 8 hours a week, so I would have at least 50+ hours of shadowing experience when I applied to schools.

It is really hard to keep up with real life stress and studying in same time. I'm getting so much stress trying to deal both in same time in schedule and most of the time, it fails:smack:.. However, the time went so fast, it is almost time to apply.. I believe starting July 15th.:eek:

I graduated from N.C State with 2.96 GPA as Zoology major in 2012, took a microbiology class this semester (Got A! :D). I'm planning to take biochemistry class here in N.C State in summer session between July 1st to August 6th.

Now I know I have to use OptomCAS website to apply to all the optometry schools that I'm interested in. But I have some few questions.

1) When should I take the OAT exam??- I've been studying with Kaplan OAT test prep books and honestly I'm not quiet ready to take the test. I do know that it is always good to apply early as possible. I'm thinking take the exam end of the June, so I start my summer session. Oh and Yes.. one more thing to ask.. When should I apply to take the test? how long prior to actual test date? I tried to check but it seems like I have to pay first and I do not have the money at the moment.. :mad::mad:

2) Can I update my submitted applications?? - Now this questions sounds dumb but I want to take the chance. I was wondering if I could still update shadowing hours, better OAT scores or even class credits after I submitted the application to schools. So for example, I could apply on July 15th with my OAT-pending scores and some shadowing hours. Then maybe I could update my application with official OAT scores, more shadowing hours, and biochemistry credit (summer sessions). I'm kind of confused because the application process last so long (July to March) so I'm wondering if I could. But if not, I guess I have to wait until I'm fully ready to finally apply once for all ?

3) Where Can I go with my spec.. safely..:confused:
- By the time I finish my summer class in August 1st, I would have most of all the requirement class credits(with some recommanded classes) with 2.9X undergrad GPA, 60~70 shadowing hours, hopefully decent OAT score that I will take in late June. I know that I do not have good academic performance and I am very worried that I won't get into any of the schools. My personal choices are ICO, MCPHC, UAB, SCO and NECO. Is there any optometry school that do not accept students under 3.0 GPA? :( I want to apply somewhere I can get in safely so I can start my optometry school fast as I can.

I hope you guys would help me out here, I do not have lots of time on the computer to check everyday but I think I can log in with my phone and read through. You could say 'do everything done by august 1st and that's only chance you have!' :laugh: haha.. I have shadowings during the day time and work at night till 11 PM almost everyday. I appreciate for you help and considerations!

1) First off, don't rush to take the OAT. I know you said you want to apply by this coming cycle but don't just take to take it...it can really hurt you. This exam is one of the last few things that you have control over before applying and the OAT is weighed a little more over your GPA. For someone in your situation that has a lower GPA, you need to do well on the OAT. Since your enrolled in school, working a lot and you have your own personal life, it's going to be hard to put in a lot of time to study for the OAT. I don't want to scare you off at all I just want you to know that studying for the OAT should not be taken lightly. But if you want to apply by this cycle then it would be a good idea to aim for June-July. And if you don't do as well as you want you'll have till Sept-Aug to take it again.

2) Once you press the submit button, you will be unable to change anything in your application until spring rolls and then, you will ONLY be able to add coursework information for spring as well as fall grades. In essence, you won't be able to change things in your application after you submit.

3) If you do really well on your OATs (340+) you may have a shot at getting interviews of those schools you mentioned. But if you want to get into some of the newer/easier schools then I think if you get above a 300 then you could get some interview offers. Keep working hard to get above a 3.0, that can really help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for replying.

I have read all but I still not sure about the application.

So once I submit on OptomCAS, I can only update the course work? no shadowing expereince or OAT score?

Thank you very much for replying.

I have read all but I still not sure about the application.

So once I submit on OptomCAS, I can only update the course work? no shadowing expereince or OAT score?

Correct. You will only be able to edit coursework and that's not until January or February, as the person above mentioned. As far as OAT scores go, your official scores will be automatically sent to the schools you specify 30 days after you take the test.

Hi guys, I just submitted my application right now. I'm a littler nervous because two out of four of my LOR's haven't been filled out yet. I contacted my professors in hopes they will submit them. if they don't, will my application be incomplete? also, the deadline for my school (IAUPR) is may 30th, I've scheduled my OAT exam for June 29th. Will this be a problem ? Please help! thank you

Hi guys, I just submitted my application right now. I'm a littler nervous because two out of four of my LOR's haven't been filled out yet. I contacted my professors in hopes they will submit them. if they don't, will my application be incomplete? also, the deadline for my school (IAUPR) is may 30th, I've scheduled my OAT exam for June 29th. Will this be a problem ? Please help! thank you

I don't understand why you are writing on this thread. This should be on it's own, but ultimately, I encourage you to look into the school's website and ask the school for the information you're requesting.

http://www.optonet.inter.edu/procedure-for-requesting-admission.html