SO Roll Call!

CaffeinatedSquirrel

Married into Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there actually a significant other with a husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend in school? Anyone working on their PhT (Put Honey Through) degree? Let's be friends! Check in here. :)

My husband and I were long distance for the first year and a half he was in school. At that point we decided we'd had enough of long distance and got married (almost 2 years ago now). Med school definitely has its ups and downs, but I'm so glad to be here with him now!

What's your story?

Members don't see this ad.

I finished my master's in Molecular Biology in the spring and am applying this cycle. My wife is in her last semester of her master's degree/internship in Nutrition and Dietetics and will be applying to medical school next cycle.

We won't do long distance since we have a son that neither of us could stand to be away from for any appreciable length of time, and another on the way that's due early next year.

Wow, that's pretty intense! Good luck to you both. I definitely understand wanting to avoid long distance! It's possible if you're really committed, but it's not fun. And congrats on your little one in the way!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, logistically, we just don't see how long distance could work since it would involve one of us being away and the other having both kids while in med school. Fortunately, there are a lot of medical schools in our state and four of them are within a 50 mile radius. So, if I get into one of those, she'll at least have some good options when she applies next cycle.

This will be my first post on SDN, but I lurked forever before making an account and then even longer after signing up. I've researched by butt off for her on here and other resources. If it all works out, her future is my future, so I might as well be as informed as possible. Plus she is buried in books frequently so I pass on as much info as I can.

My SO is currently finishing up her biology undergrad and studying for the DAT which she plans to take early in Spring of 14 before applying. She's a non-traditional, going back to school after a few years on and off. Looking at her transcript now is really amazing to me since it started out as A's and B's with a C or two. After switching from English to Biology and cramming this Bio into less than 3 years it is straight A's and her GPA has shot up to around 3.8 with a 4.0 in the last 4 semesters... She's dedicated and I'm 100% behind her.

Me, I graduated in May of 2012 with a B.S. in computer science and work full time as a systems administrator.