So the adcom member said it was my MCAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbuxaddict

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...that really held me back from getting an interview. I met with her to review my application and to ask for advice on how to strengthen it, and she said the red flag was my MCAT. She said my EC's made me unique, my GPA was fine (although nothing extraordinary, within their range) and my LORs were strong. She said if my MCAT had been higher (26 the first time and then 24, I'm fairly certain due to nerves/anxiety), she would have expected that I would be given an interview. I submitted my primary in the beginning of July

This is my in-state school and my top choice!

So while it is a relief that the thing I need the most change/improvement on is something that can be corrected in a few months (as opposed to something like GPA), it also puts an enormous amount of pressure on this upcoming exam. I'm scheduled to take it on 07/06, but now that it's pretty much confirmed this was holding me back from an interview, I'm starting to panic even more about this. Even though this is just advice from one adcom member at one school, I'm assuming other schools probably felt similarly.

My question is, should I delay the exam? I have been studying since late April, and now I'm thinking of taking it in early August, but the dilemma is that I need to decide now before the August spots run out (if they haven't already) :scared: and cancel this July exam.

Any advice would be great, thanks! Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give more info than just my scores.

Members don't see this ad.

...that really held me back from getting an interview. I met with her to review my application and to ask for advice on how to strengthen it, and she said the red flag was my MCAT. She said my EC's made me unique, my GPA was fine (although nothing extraordinary, within their range) and my LORs were strong. She said if my MCAT had been higher (26 the first time and then 24, I'm fairly certain due to nerves/anxiety), she would have expected that I would be given an interview. I submitted my primary in the beginning of July

This is my in-state school and my top choice!

So while it is a relief that the thing I need the most change/improvement on is something that can be corrected in a few months (as opposed to something like GPA), it also puts an enormous amount of pressure on this upcoming exam. I'm scheduled to take it on 07/06, but now that it's pretty much confirmed this was holding me back from an interview, I'm starting to panic even more about this. Even though this is just advice from one adcom member at one school, I'm assuming other schools probably felt similarly.

My question is, should I delay the exam? I have been studying since late April, and now I'm thinking of taking it in early August, but the dilemma is that I need to decide now before the August spots run out (if they haven't already) :scared: and cancel this July exam.

Any advice would be great, thanks! Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give more info than just my scores.

Dude chill. That's step one.

You have five weeks to prepare for your exam. 35 days * 5 hrs/day = 175 hours of study time. Is that enough? If not, then reschedule for a later date. Don't rush a third writing of the MCAT. If all else fails, take it in September (and do well) and apply next cycle. That's my $00.02.

You have five weeks to prepare for your exam. 35 days * 5 hrs/day = 175 hours of study time. Is that enough? If not, then reschedule for a later date. Don't rush a third writing of the MCAT. If all else fails, take it in September (and do well) and apply next cycle. That's my $00.02.

Taking it my 3rd time as well. If I manage to get a 30, do you think my other two MCAT scores( 24 and 22) will be a negative factor in the eye's of the Adcoms? How high must my MCAT score be to compensate for first two dismal scores?

It doesn't matter how many times you take the MCAT. They just take your highest score, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
^ Depends on the school, some average them. Some even average the sections. There is a chart somewhere. Think the majority look at your highest but consider your others

But you will not ever be fully confident, but I would not take the real thing if you arent scoring 30+ on practice tests.

Dont take practice tests until you have seriously reviewed content and dont take the real MCAT until you have done several practice tests scoring 30+ (since that was your goal)

If you cant accomplish this by your test date it is in your best interest to push back your test date. A third low MCAT would not look good.

Hope it all work out for you tho!

Last edited:

Dont take practice tests until you have seriously reviewed content and dont take the real MCAT until you have done several practice tests scoring 30+ (since that was your goal)

If you cant accomplish this by your test date it is in your best interest to push back your test date. A third low MCAT would not look good.

Hope it all work out for you tho!

I guess I'm just concerned that since I'm not done with content review yet, by the time I start doing full-lengths I won't be able to reschedule for a spot in August because the seats will be gone.