So this is making me really anxious…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

believe <3

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have this terrible fear that retaking the MCAT is the end of an application. It's probably silly, but this is really putting a lot of pressure on me and I'm feeling super anxious about my upcoming MCAT. Of course, I will try my best but what happens if I need to retake? Does that blacklist me from schools, esp the top mid-tiers? I'm not shooting for places like Hopkins or Stanford.

It would really help if anyone could share their application success stories despite having an MCAT retake!

Members don't see this ad.

I had to retake the MCAT.

Because of it, I live in a van down by the river!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 12 users
I had to retake the MCAT, I got in.

With that said, given the relatively small number of interview invites I got, I suspect some schools placed more emphasis on my first score. However I'll be attending a pretty solidly mid tier school in a city I really like, so I'm happy.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
"...but this is really putting a lot of pressure on me..." It's not putting the pressure on you; you are putting the pressure on you. If you need to retake, you learn from your mistakes and weaknesses from the first attempt and retake the damn test. Stop trying to have a perfect, spotless application. This is where your anxiety stems from, and it will just perpetuate when you start applying if you don't get a hold of it now. I got a 26 my first time around. I sulked for like 2 hours and then knew it was time to get back to work. Did better my second time around and got in to a good school on my first cycle. Sometimes, showing you can pick yourself up from a disappointment is more impressive than being the perfect shiny candidate.

Plenty of people retake. I known many who did and did fine. Where did you get such an absurd idea?

Side story: I know a guy who retook 4 times in 6 months, and had an mcat profile of: 29, 28, 28, 29. Don't do that (by some miracle he was still accepted to a state school though)

Reactions: 1 user
I took the old MCAT and the new MCAT and jumped from ~60th percentile to 85th. Retaking was so worth it for me. I was accepted into a top 20 school as well. I think taking it twice is no big deal...more than that doesn't look great.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have this terrible fear that retaking the MCAT is the end of an application. It's probably silly, but this is really putting a lot of pressure on me and I'm feeling super anxious about my upcoming MCAT. Of course, I will try my best but what happens if I need to retake? Does that blacklist me from schools, esp the top mid-tiers? I'm not shooting for places like Hopkins or Stanford.

It would really help if anyone could share their application success stories despite having an MCAT retake!

There are people with multiple mcats at top schools. Of course, there were many rejected as well I'm sure. But it doesn't equal being blacklisted. I assume "top mid-tiers" don't blacklist for these things either.

26 --> 32. Only one interviewer even brought it up. No worries.

Reactions: 1 users
If you end up retaking the MCAT, you'd have to show significant improvement. Retaking and ending up with a similar score or no significant improvements could have a negative impact on your application. That's why people always recommend only retaking if you are doing significantly better on practice tests than the first MCAT test to ensure you'll score better on the retake.

Prepare well for the MCAT and plan to take it once. Take the test when you are reaching your target scores on your practice tests.

26 --> 32. Only one interviewer even brought it up. No worries.
I went from 26 MCAT to 34 MCAT. Not one soul seemed to care about the first MCAT. Had 12 II, attended 10 of them. I think it is more the whole package.

Reactions: 2 users
Rule 1: Take A Breath

The video below has the Admission Deans of Hopkins and Ichan/Sinai as well as a medical director of AMSA who was formerly a high level program developer for Kaplan and the President of AMSA who was a nontrad (yeah).

Pretty ******ed how the admissions deans aren't even doctors themselves.

Why? Most premed advisors, admissions directors, and much of the faculty arent physicians. Explain your position as well as your inability to express it in a professional manner.

What makes someone who is not a doctor think that they would be any good at selecting future doctors?

Also, I am ******ed myself so I like to say that thinks are ******ed kind of as a joke. If that offends you, too bad.

Why? Most premed advisors, admissions directors, and much of the faculty arent physicians. Explain your position as well as your inability to express it in a professional manner.
What makes someone who is not a doctor think that they would be any good at selecting future doctors?

Also, I am ******ed myself so I like to say that thinks are ******ed kind of as a joke. If that offends you, too bad.
That clears it up.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesnt offend me but as a former adcom who is not a physician it kind of makes wonder which one make you more unsuitable to be a physician: your disrespect of mentally disabled or your inability to understand the concept of professionalism

Ok? I guess if someone is completely PC that makes them a good physician? Nice one dimensional analysis. I bet the only colors you know are black and white.

Quoting you offends you?
I'm also black. I'm the realest ***** on here. Are you going to quote my post and bold the "*****" part of it? I dare you.

Edit: Oh wait they censor *****, but not ******ed. That's ******ed.

I'm honestly so ****ing tired of this "professionalism" bull****. If being a professional means that I become like the losers at the AAMC who charge exorbitant fees for everything and then say they want to give everyone an equal opportunity to apply, then I don't give a ****.

Keep living in your dream world where you guys are the good guys despite the fact that you know damn well you could be helping making a change in the world but you are too busy patting yourself on the back to see it.

Honestly @gyngyn and @gonnif what have you done to help low-income applicants in applying to medical school?

Last edited:
Got a 28. Rejected. Then got a 32. Finishing up MS2 this week.

Hey everyone, let's keep things professional and respectful in here.

And professionalism encompasses understanding how you or your actions might appear to other people even if that's not how you might see yourself.

I have spent a lifetime caring for those who could not pay.
I have donated my life savings to those from low income families.
I have recruited and supported under-represented applicants for the last 4 decades.
A few other things...

Respect.

Lets analyze this. Did I mention being politically correct? Did I say not to be critical? I said the concept of professionalism, your ability to discuss with your colleagues and someday your patients in a respectful and persuasive manner, especially when disagreeing with them. And you will have patients who you need to persuade over conditions and treatments and be supportive and compassionate with their families. Seems to me that MLK was very often not "politically" correct but certainly was always professional and was the main "persuader " for the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Not sure if there is a more poignant example than that. Kind of interesting that you found it "******ed" the opinion of perhaps two of the highest ranked African-Americans admissions deans to US medical schools, especially when all I asked was to explain why you thought it was inappropriate for a non-physician to hold such a post. Perhaps maybe the Yale-trained attorney who has been admissions director/dean at Johns Hopkins for years now thought he could influence diversity in medicine. Then again what can a lawyer really do to, especially an African-American one to influence American medicine? Its not like the first African-American president, a constitutional lawyer, could promote and pass the most influential program in healthcare in America since 1965? Yeah, I guess you gotta be a physician for any of this to matter. Oh, that was sarcasm, in case you have trouble with that concept

With all due respect, I don't think I've ever seen a worse rebuttal.

MLK was great. So was Malcolm X. I doubt that the latter cared at all about professionalism.

Do you really think that Obamacare is better for being pushed through by a lawyer rather than being crafted by a physician?

This is why we can't have nice things.

OP: don't let the test psych you out. A retake got me from a 29 with no interviews and ~14 rejections to a 514 and interviews at 2/6 schools. Probably the single best thing I've ever done to help myself out. I had some awful circumstances that ruined my first attempt, but no school has asked about it at all. I'm not accepted anywhere as of now, but it's not my MCAT retake that's holding me back. If anecdotes aren't enough to assuage your worry, check out the data that itmeowsback linked to.

Don't let it own you; it's just questions in a screen.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

:corny:

jk, that was painful to read

OP, it won't blacklist you. many many people retake the MCAT. just don't retake a good score because you felt "you could do better" (seen this too many times on sdn: "i got a 32 but was averaging 36-37!!! should i retake??")

best of luck to you!

Well, this PhD has teach them for one, so I want to be able to have some say in who my students are. In addition, we're not incapable of recognizing that some people couldn't and shouldn't be trusted to do a rectal exam on your dad, or inject vaccines into your kids.

Reactions: 3 users
You (nimble whatever, not adcoms) literally just took the most mundane thread on the internet and turned it into a complete clusterf--- for no discernible reason. Like why, WHY do we need another thread about URMs/Political correctness???

Reactions: 2 users
You (nimble whatever, not adcoms) literally just took the most mundane thread on the internet and turned it into a complete clusterf--- for no discernible reason. Like why, WHY do we need another thread about URMs/Political correctness???

upload_2016-4-27_10-46-43.png

Reactions: 4 users
I'm actually upset I took the time to read this thread. :boom:

I literally doubled over in laughter on that onr, colleague!

I would disagree here with the Right Honorable Gentleman from West of St. Louis. I would say that the OP is likely quite qualified for anything wholly rectally related. Indeed, it may in fact be the only thing he/she is qualified for.

And now Madam Speaker, I yield the floor

I'm also black. I'm the realest ***** on here. Are you going to quote my post and bold the "*****" part of it? I dare you.

Edit: Oh wait they censor *****, but not ******ed. That's ******ed.

I'm honestly so ****ing tired of this "professionalism" bull****. If being a professional means that I become like the losers at the AAMC who charge exorbitant fees for everything and then say they want to give everyone an equal opportunity to apply, then I don't give a ****.

Keep living in your dream world where you guys are the good guys despite the fact that you know damn well you could be helping making a change in the world but you are too busy patting yourself on the back to see it.

Please submit this as your personal statement. I really can't wait to see how your cycle goes...