So...We've Been Accepted...Now What???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guitarologist

class of 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought we could start a thread on what to do after you've been accepted to the school that you want to attend (e.g. credit report, financial aid, housing, etc.).

Members don't see this ad.

Now I fight the constant battle of Should I do something productive before med school or should I just sit around my lazy *** and wait for incoming onslaught.

Now I fight the constant battle of Should I do something productive before med school or should I just sit around my lazy *** and wait for incoming onslaught.

Travel, drink, be merry. Do whatever makes you happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm scared ****less to start med school. I guess part of it has to do with the fact that I'll e attending school at a very new and unfamiliar place and the fact that med school is freakin hard.

Can you guys think of ANY reason that our last semester of senior year (right before starting med school) would count?

I can only think of it showing when we put our undergrad GPA on resumes.

And perhaps on merit scholarships...although hopefully schools will have given out their scholarships before the spring semester grades come out. :)

Can you guys think of ANY reason that our last semester of senior year (right before starting med school) would count?

I can only think of it showing when we put our undergrad GPA on resumes.

And perhaps on merit scholarships...although hopefully schools will have given out their scholarships before the spring semester grades come out. :)

I finished strong because I did not want to embarass my Phi Beta Kappa Chapter.

Just thought we could start a thread on what to do after you've been accepted to the school that you want to attend (e.g. credit report, financial aid, housing, etc.).
continue working full-time until I start, to save up money.:(

stop worrying about getting accepted and start worrying about step 1. (kidding.... ok half kidding, I need something to worry about)

Not having anything to stress about has actually become quite stressful. I feel guilty that I'm not stressing about anything or working too hard. Anyone else in this situation?

well seeing how this is probably the only summer/free time you have left in life, I would say either go do something you always want to do, orr.... work out and get a perfect body and let medschool do its worst!

Not having anything to stress about has actually become quite stressful. I feel guilty that I'm not stressing about anything or working too hard. Anyone else in this situation?

Haha, yep I feel it too.

At the beginning of the semester I would go home every afternoon and watch tv into the wee hours of the night. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm scared ****less to start med school. I guess part of it has to do with the fact that I'll e attending school at a very new and unfamiliar place and the fact that med school is freakin hard.

I'm starting school in a new place too, and I'm definitely nervous! Especially about logistics (like finding housing, etc), you know? But lately I've been trying to convince myself a bigger part of me is looking forward to "the adventure", so hopefully that will help...

We start using the search function!

Yup, def. know the feeling.

I know it's been asked before, but how strict will medical schools be as far as final semester GPA? And what if there are unusual circumstances, ie taking classes abroad in a second language with a different grading scale? A C is a more than decent grade for this program I'm in...but that may be hard to explain to medical schools and many people actually fail. Any thoughts?
And I know this is neurotic but do you send undergraduate grades when applying to residencies?

I want to know the answer to this too. As soon as I got accepted to Med school I slacked a little bit before a couple tests and now I just want to make sure that these grades aren't ever going to come back to haunt me.

aside from all the fun stuff... here's a short list of what I've been doing (and I think this is pretty consistent for other schools).

Mailed deposit to hold seat in class.
Completed FAFSA before March deadline.
Completed school-specific financial aid award application.
Did background check with www.mybackgroundcheck.com.
I am currently getting up-to-date with my immunizations.
Working on housing.

Housing is a bit difficult because I know that I need to start looking now but most people that are currently advertising would rather have someone start the lease in May while I'd rather wait til I get out there in August.

Other than that, all the fun stuff! I am working ~40 hours a week but it feels like I have loads of free-time. Been playing soccer on weekends. Going out with friends more now that classes are over. I'm playing a bunch of jazz gigs coming up (I play guitar). There are a few weddings also that I'm playing for (classical guitar and the money's not bad! mainly I just enjoy preparing for a performance though). I'm going to Peru on a medical missions trip from May 6-18. After that I want to plan a trip to Prague. I used to live there and there are a lot of people that I want to see one last time before heading out to med school. Trying to go to bonaroo as well.. main thing is deciding whether I want to be totally broke when I start med-school or if it would be good to save a couple thousand so I don't have to rely totally on loan money.

i could be very wrong here, but i am guessing that once you are accepted, the admissions committee will never again look at your credentials. From my estimation the only people who will see your final semester grades will be the people in the registrars office processing their transcript. All they care about is if you finish your degree.

I know it's been asked before, but how strict will medical schools be as far as final semester GPA? And what if there are unusual circumstances, ie taking classes abroad in a second language with a different grading scale? A C is a more than decent grade for this program I'm in...but that may be hard to explain to medical schools and many people actually fail. Any thoughts?
And I know this is neurotic but do you send undergraduate grades when applying to residencies?

I want to know the answer to this too. As soon as I got accepted to Med school I slacked a little bit before a couple tests and now I just want to make sure that these grades aren't ever going to come back to haunt me.

In general, you need to maintain the same academic standards which granted you admission. They probably won't rescind admission over a C, but D's and F's can pose a problem.

And about college grades counting towards residnecy; the academic slate wipes clean for each level. Medical schools don't care how well you did in high school, just as residency directors don't care how well you did in college. So the answer is no.

In general, you need to maintain the same academic standards which granted you admission. They probably won't rescind admission over a C, but D's and F's can pose a problem.

And about college grades counting towards residnecy; the academic slate wipes clean for each level. Medical schools don't care how well you did in high school, just as residency directors don't care how well you did in college. So the answer is no.

I can take the classes pass/fail but that would force me to drop one of my majors...which do you think would pose a bigger issue to a medical school, 2 low grades or not being a double major any more?

I can take the classes pass/fail but that would force me to drop one of my majors...which do you think would pose a bigger issue to a medical school, 2 low grades or not being a double major any more?
They could care less what you major in or how many you have. The definately care about low grades. If you feel you can perform well than by all means keep the major. I don't know the specifics, but I am sure there has to be some way you can get a good grade.

But, if you absolutely knew there was no way to avoid a poor grade, what is better to you: keep the major but risk losing the coveted acceptance? Or drop the major and just go on to medical school?

Unfortunately I have a senior thesis to fill this void... :mad:

Seems that you would be better off dropping a course or p/f - ing it than get less than a C

They could care less what you major in or how many you have. The definately care about low grades. If you feel you can perform well than by all means keep the major. I don't know the specifics, but I am sure there has to be some way you can get a good grade.

But, if you absolutely knew there was no way to avoid a poor grade, what is better to you: keep the major but risk losing the coveted acceptance? Or drop the major and just go on to medical school?

How sure are you about that? B/c if his/her amcas report stated two majors, and part of the acceptance is of course conditional on completing requirements towards, and earning, degree(s?)....

As OP, I meant if anyone had somewhat of a check list for all-things-related-to-medical school that should be done prior to beginning classes. Kind of like a list written by an MS-I, beginning with the phrase: "If I knew then what I know now..."

How sure are you about that? B/c if his/her amcas report stated two majors, and part of the acceptance is of course conditional on completing requirements towards, and earning, degree(s?)....

Yes this was exactly what I was thinking. Thing is I don't need the classes to graduate or get my major but I'm in a program that requires I stay about 15 credits. So it's either stay in everything or drop everything. P/F would've been a good option, but I can't do it because the classes are in my major department. And anyway, a P for my school must be a C or above anyway. I was originally going to do it p/f because I figured why have Cs on my transcript if I don't have to. I guess I'm stuck now. I'll do the best I can and if that's a terrible grade, I'll have to explain to the schools that it's a different system of grading here.

About 99% sure. If you are that concerned than call the school and ask. But in general you just need to finish the degree. How many majors you have within it really shouldn't make any difference.