So what are my chances? Any feedback appreciated!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilypad27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to see what my chances were for being accepted into any of these optometry schools:

1. New England
2. ICO
3. MCPHS
4. UMSL
5. Indiana

I am currently applying for Fall 2016, but am graduating this May 2015. I am taking a year off for financial reasons, but during my time off I will be working at an optometry office in the West Loop of Chicago as a patient technician and commuting from home.

I am a Psychology major with a minor in Bioethics. I currently have a 3.49 overall GPA with a 3.1 science GPA. I have no W's or anything less than a C on my transcript. I took the OAT in December of 2014 and scored AA of 300 and TS of 290 (I'm not the best standardized test taker). I will have letters of recommendation (hopefully) from 1 or more of the three optometrists I work with (all went to ICO), a professor (research lab director or engaged learning professor), and a grad assistant I work closely with in my research lab. I might also ask some of my supervisors from work.

As for my experience and extra curriculars, I currently serve as the Secretary for our Pre-Optometry organization, but since we have such a small organization and not the greatest Executive Board, I do a lot of the work the president does. I have coordinated visits from other optometry schools and we also hosted a dinner with a speaker with a talk on optics. In addition to this I have gone on two Medical/Public Health brigades to Nicaragua, one as just a member and one as a brigade leader. These were both 9 day trips with groups of 25-30 students where we provided medical services and clinics to community members of Nicaragua. In addition to that, we also did a lot of manual labor for our public health portion, building latrines, septic tanks, and making concrete floors for people's homes. As a leader for a brigade I worked extensively with my co-lead to plan the entirety of the trip, which included recruitment, flights, leading reflections, and in-country activities. I am also a member of Chi Omega, a women's fraternity. I served as the Director of Campus Activities on our junior executive board where I planned all events with other organizations. These included intramurals, Relay for Life, and participating in other group's philanthropy events. I additionally have been working in a research lab for children's language, cognition, and emotion. I often go to different grade schools to test children between the ages 5-14. In addition, I code data, enter it into SPSS, and perform basic lab duties.

In terms of work experience, I worked as a caller for our gift center at my university. At this job, I called alumni for donations to the school. Additionally, I worked for our Conference Services department for two summers, one as a regular employee and one as a manager. I worked in hospitality services so I dealt with customers on a regular basis. As a manager I also had the responsibility of making schedules, attending manager meetings, and coordinating day to day jobs. Currently I work for my university's recreation center (the gym) as a front desk receptionist.

I am also currently employed by an optometry office as a patient technician. I answer phone calls, schedule appointments, pull files, all regular receptionist things. But I also interact with patients by taking their family and eye history, pre-testing them (I know how to use an auto refractor, our retinal camera, glaucoma test, and lensometer), and pre-screening them before they see the doctor. I work with our opticians as well to pull insurances and help pick out glasses for patients. I work very closely with our doctors and plan to shadow them a lot during the summer when I am not working. Besides them, I plan to shadow another optometrist that lives closer to me during the summer.

Some downsides: I only took one semester of organic chemistry, and I did not take biochemistry or anatomy or physiology either. I know these are not required prerequisites but I don't want it to affect my chances (hopefully). My OAT score is rather low as well.

Just wanted to know what you all think! Feedback greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You have great experience and seem like a very well rounded person. Keep shadowing and working for OD's and don't let your grades slip. The first hurdle you need to get past is the academic portion, extracurriculars and experience is the addition things that schools look for after seeing grades and OAT scores. You have a good GPA, but you definitely have to try to pick up your OAT score to become more competitive. I got the same OAT scores you did and was recommended by most schools I submitted applications to retake my exam. Difference between you and me though is that I had a lower GPA than you. Fortunately, I retook my exam and did better. I and got into MCPHS and will hopefully get into Indiana as well after attending one of their admission day orientations. I'll be making a decision within the next week or two as soon as I wait to hear back from Indiana.

You have great experience and seem like a very well rounded person. Keep shadowing and working for OD's and don't let your grades slip. The first hurdle you need to get past is the academic portion, extracurriculars and experience is the addition things that schools look for after seeing grades and OAT scores. You have a good GPA, but you definitely have to try to pick up your OAT score to become more competitive. I got the same OAT scores you did and was recommended by most schools I submitted applications to retake my exam. Difference between you and me though is that I had a lower GPA than you. Fortunately, I retook my exam and did better. I and got into MCPHS and will hopefully get into Indiana as well after attending one of their admission day orientations. I'll be making a decision within the next week or two as soon as I wait to hear back from Indiana.

So when you submitted applications and were told to retake the exam, did you do that in the same application cycle? Or did you have to wait until the next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
So when you submitted applications and were told to retake the exam, did you do that in the same application cycle? Or did you have to wait until the next year?
I took my OAT around September and retook it early February. This has all been the same application cycle. The earlier you submit with good scores the better of course.

Hi all,

I just wanted to see what my chances were for being accepted into any of these optometry schools:

1. New England
2. ICO
3. MCPHS
4. UMSL
5. Indiana

I am currently applying for Fall 2016, but am graduating this May 2015. I am taking a year off for financial reasons, but during my time off I will be working at an optometry office in the West Loop of Chicago as a patient technician and commuting from home.

I am a Psychology major with a minor in Bioethics. I currently have a 3.49 overall GPA with a 3.1 science GPA. I have no W's or anything less than a C on my transcript. I took the OAT in December of 2014 and scored AA of 300 and TS of 290 (I'm not the best standardized test taker). I will have letters of recommendation (hopefully) from 1 or more of the three optometrists I work with (all went to ICO), a professor (research lab director or engaged learning professor), and a grad assistant I work closely with in my research lab. I might also ask some of my supervisors from work.

As for my experience and extra curriculars, I currently serve as the Secretary for our Pre-Optometry organization, but since we have such a small organization and not the greatest Executive Board, I do a lot of the work the president does. I have coordinated visits from other optometry schools and we also hosted a dinner with a speaker with a talk on optics. In addition to this I have gone on two Medical/Public Health brigades to Nicaragua, one as just a member and one as a brigade leader. These were both 9 day trips with groups of 25-30 students where we provided medical services and clinics to community members of Nicaragua. In addition to that, we also did a lot of manual labor for our public health portion, building latrines, septic tanks, and making concrete floors for people's homes. As a leader for a brigade I worked extensively with my co-lead to plan the entirety of the trip, which included recruitment, flights, leading reflections, and in-country activities. I am also a member of Chi Omega, a women's fraternity. I served as the Director of Campus Activities on our junior executive board where I planned all events with other organizations. These included intramurals, Relay for Life, and participating in other group's philanthropy events. I additionally have been working in a research lab for children's language, cognition, and emotion. I often go to different grade schools to test children between the ages 5-14. In addition, I code data, enter it into SPSS, and perform basic lab duties.

In terms of work experience, I worked as a caller for our gift center at my university. At this job, I called alumni for donations to the school. Additionally, I worked for our Conference Services department for two summers, one as a regular employee and one as a manager. I worked in hospitality services so I dealt with customers on a regular basis. As a manager I also had the responsibility of making schedules, attending manager meetings, and coordinating day to day jobs. Currently I work for my university's recreation center (the gym) as a front desk receptionist.

I am also currently employed by an optometry office as a patient technician. I answer phone calls, schedule appointments, pull files, all regular receptionist things. But I also interact with patients by taking their family and eye history, pre-testing them (I know how to use an auto refractor, our retinal camera, glaucoma test, and lensometer), and pre-screening them before they see the doctor. I work with our opticians as well to pull insurances and help pick out glasses for patients. I work very closely with our doctors and plan to shadow them a lot during the summer when I am not working. Besides them, I plan to shadow another optometrist that lives closer to me during the summer.

Some downsides: I only took one semester of organic chemistry, and I did not take biochemistry or anatomy or physiology either. I know these are not required prerequisites but I don't want it to affect my chances (hopefully). My OAT score is rather low as well.

Just wanted to know what you all think! Feedback greatly appreciated.

I am in the same boat as you in terms of grades and I got the same OAT scores. I actually ended up applying this round and have got interviews at ICO, NECO and Western which are all happening in the next couple of weeks. In my rejection letter from Pacific they told me the reasons for my rejection were due to low GPA and low OAT and applying too late in the cycle. It seems like you have some really diverse experience under your belt which is great, so there is definitely hope!

gonna be honest here. I dont have a great GPA 2.91 science and i would guess average OAT 320 but only got 260 orgo and was still accepted to neco couple days back. Apply and rock the interview and you may be surprised

i definitely dont have the pre op experience you do either

I submitted my application last month and I received an email from MCPHS notifying me that they are going to send the decisions in the mail. Has anyone gotten a rejection letter in the mail?

I submitted my application last month and I received an email from MCPHS notifying me that they are going to send the decisions in the mail. Has anyone gotten a rejection letter in the mail?

I haven't heard anyone getting one yet! I received an interview invitation but I declined.