So what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arybyinski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated ultrasound school in 2007 and then went on for my BS in sonography that I am wrapping up now while working full time. I am a registered sonographer with credentialled specialties in abdominal, OB/GYN, neurosonology and vascular technology.
My BS degree is in Sonography (ultrasound), was completed online with a GPA of ~3.3 and for ultrasound I have not had to take any science classes beyond A&P and 1 physics class(which equates to 101).
I need to take 8 credits of bio, 16 of chem and 1 4 credit physics class to meet the pre req requirements of most medical schools.
Does anyone know of anyone thats been accepted into med school with JUST the basic pre reqs?
If I took Bio 101,102, Chem 101 and 102, Organic Chem 1 and 1, and some sort of a physics 101 - assuming I get A's and B's - what are my chances? I am looking at UMDNJ (any campus), Drexel, any other med school is south jersey/philly and Rowan when it becomes available.

Obviously those classes are not high education, but if I take a kaplan course and do fairly well - will that even matter?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated ultrasound school in 2007 and then went on for my BS in sonography that I am wrapping up now while working full time. I am a registered sonographer with credentialled specialties in abdominal, OB/GYN, neurosonology and vascular technology.
My BS degree is in Sonography (ultrasound), was completed online with a GPA of ~3.3 and for ultrasound I have not had to take any science classes beyond A&P and 1 physics class(which equates to 101).
I need to take 8 credits of bio, 16 of chem and 1 4 credit physics class to meet the pre req requirements of most medical schools.
Does anyone know of anyone thats been accepted into med school with JUST the basic pre reqs?
If I took Bio 101,102, Chem 101 and 102, Organic Chem 1 and 1, and some sort of a physics 101 - assuming I get A's and B's - what are my chances? I am looking at UMDNJ (any campus), Drexel, any other med school is south jersey/philly and Rowan when it becomes available.

Obviously those classes are not high education, but if I take a kaplan course and do fairly well - will that even matter?

Yes, you can get in with just the prereqs. You also have plenty of additional experience to help cover for upper level courses. I'm not saying it will be easy, but certainly doable - your MCAT will determine a lot.

If the question is can you make it to med school, then the answer is yes. Where you have good chances would be too difficult at this point, without more substantial information. However, UMDNJs and Drexel, and some other Penn schools are a good place to start/target.

If I took Bio 101,102, Chem 101 and 102, Organic Chem 1 and 1, and some sort of a physics 101 - assuming I get A's and B's - what are my chances?

You will need a full year of Physics with lab, as well as all the labs for the above courses to enable applications to a wide assortment of med schools. Non-science majors are welcomed in the med school application process and many of them take no more science than the basic premed prerequisites (which usually includes some math and English too). You will want to aim for an A- average or better, so you wouldn't want too many Bs in there. The MCAT tests your understanding of that information. A Kaplan course is a great way to study for the test.

If your current cGPA is 3.3, then you'll need to get that number higher to be competitive. The postbac classes you'll be taking will improve it if you get mainly As.

The MCAT tests your understanding of that information. A Kaplan course is a great way to study for the test.

OP, Kaplan is one of the most popular courses. There is also Princeton Review. For independent study, many prefer Exam Krackers.