So when a conducing loop of wire passes though an external magnetic field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So when a conducing loop of wire passes though an external magnetic field, current is induced. My question is, will the time vs. induced current graph going to look different for a circular vs. recutangular shaped wire? If so, how will they look like?

Members don't see this ad.

Induced current is proportional to area, not shape.

So I would imagine that the loop of larger area would be shifted up on the current axis by a value proportional to area.

Induced current is proportional to area, not shape.

So I would imagine that the loop of larger area would be shifted up on the current axis by a value proportional to area.
But isn't induced current proportional to the change in the area of the wire that's entering the external magnetic field? So I figured a square or rectangular wire loop will have a uniform change in magnetic flux(because of its shape) and thus have constant current, whereas a circular loop will first have increasing magnetic flux and then a decreasing magnetic flux as it enters and leaves the external magnetic field, making the current vs. time graph look like a semicircle.
I've posted a graph of current vs. time for both rectangular and circular loop wire to show you what I mean. Am I on the right track?

Attachments

• I vs t.jpg
    I vs t.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 33