"So where did you say you got your MBA from??"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD Rapper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

MD Rapper said:
Hey everyone... this will either be a really dumb or really smart question...

Does it really matter where you get your MBA from? When I say that, I am including the ever so infamous "online MBA" degrees too....

If I can take courses over the internet at my own leisure and still get my MBA, will I be less respected later? Isn't how I use the skills I obtained the more important issue?

I have an interest in hospital management and learning the business intricacies of the health care system. I may have some time off before I get into medical school so I thought maybe an online MBA might not be such a bad idea while I work a research job...

Thoughts?

I'm not sure what the requirements are for hospital management, and have no specific knowledge of that field. But I do know that business employers generally (esp. in finance, marketing, mgmt consulting) do care where the MBA is from. It is taken as a given that an MD from a US school is a great achievement, as there are so few medical schools and all are considered competitive. However this is simply not true for the MBA -- there are so many MBA programs, offline and on, and at every level and calliber of college, that I believe prospective employers are aware of and do distinguish between the more competitive (i.e. more highly ranked as per US News, etc.) versus less competitive programs. So while the skills you pick up in an online MBA program may be great, the credential may not be...

MD Rapper said:

Does it really matter where you get your MBA from? When I say that, I am including the ever so infamous "online MBA" degrees too....

If I can take courses over the internet at my own leisure and still get my MBA, will I be less respected later? Isn't how I use the skills I obtained the more important issue?

I have an interest in hospital management and learning the business intricacies of the health care system. I may have some time off before I get into medical school so I thought maybe an online MBA might not be such a bad idea while I work a research job...

Thoughts?

ok ... my thoughts,

1) if you can, get a joint degree, will save you on classes which would save you in money.
2) if you want hospital management MBA program with health concentration is needed - few schools have this
3) where you get does matter in SOME aspects. Its really just in the name and how you use it. For instance Drexel has a regular MBA and online MBA, i don't know if the dipolma distinguishes nor do I think it would. I wouldn't go online though for an MBA as you need interaction especially if you have limited business experience. But as for schools in the US, as long as they are accredited, employers don't really care. Only distinguish between IVY or top b-schools and rest is lumped. Additionally its localized but its helps if your school is recognized on a national level.

Another option for hospital management is MPA (Masters in Public Administration) or MHA (Masters in Health Administration) - my school has a MPA with healthcare concentration. I'm in the MBA but doing the healthcare administration as well. I wish I would have known about the MPA when i applied for the MBA as its shorter and more focused on what I want (esp b/c i have business background) but I'm glad I get the MBA.

Any other specific questions?

I think one of the downfall of an online MBA is that you don't get much interaction/teamwork assignments. All I have been doing is teamwork and that's why I am choosing finance as my concentration, much less teamwork if any. Prospective employers like to see that you have worked with all sorts of people and I think this is especially important in healthcare where the turnover is oh so high. However, if you want to get the knowledge you need to run your own practice, then I don't see why an online MBA wouldn't be adequate. It all depends what you want from your degree and how you plan on using it.

MD Rapper said:

Thoughts?