So, you want to be an ER doc...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All in all there's some pretty good stuff on there. They appropriately make the point that EM can at times be an interesting and fun ride, but there's also a fair dose of reality, too. Worth listening to, for EM hopefuls.

06:25- "If you have a weak stomach, combined with a good sense of smell, Emergency Medicine might not be for you..."

Lol. Hilarious, but so true.

...………………

I also LOVE the shark analogy,

09:41-"The shark that lets you see him; he's just curious. The one that's gonna kill you; you're never gonna see him."

What a great, great, quote. It's so applicable. I'm drooling with jealousy that I wasn't the one that decided to apply that one to Emergency Medicine.

………………………………

And holy s**t, a dose of reality so stark, I almost had myself asking, "Is that Birdstrike talking?"

09:50-"If you can't compartmentalize your feelings and you're not resilient, you may not want to be an Emergency Medicine doctor...You're gonna see some pretty tragic events. Things that in any other work situation, would have offices shutting down, grief counselors brought in, mandatory leaves of absence, and long-term mental health support. But not in this business...the really bad stuff; it can throw you."

Last edited:
Wait, this is hard work?

I thought we could get paychecks for free!

Seriously though, couldn't everyone create a podcast on the challenges of their field?

My struggles fighting in WWII.
My struggles as an 19th century slave.
It's tough living through the great depression.
I have no food, I was born in Africa.

I wonder where we are on the spectrum of having it tough? Like the 95th percentile? The 90th? Btw, you are in the richest 1% of the world if you earn $48,000 per year.

Maybe we should all go work as coal miners for a year and then come back to medicine to compare. I feel pretty luck to be in the richest 0.1% of the world and to not have to work insane hours where some are working ~30 hrs a week for a top 0.1% salary in the world. Wow.

Edit: I only heard all the complaining at first - after the first ten minutes they had people who enjoy the job. I agree some people continue to thrive and can find a long term strategy for satisfaction. (i.e. one guy has NEVER done full time emergency medicine for example).

Last edited: