so, you've matched into a psychiatry residency...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

splik

Professional Cat at Large
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
....congrats!

Many of my students did not get their 1st choice (or even 2nd choice) program. There is this myth that everyone will get their top choice in psychiatry, and while the odds are good clearly that isn't true. I did not match at my first choice and know a lot of people who didn't (in fact they didn't even rank me despite telling my mentor who worked there that I had a good chance). But there's a stigma about it. People don't talk about. It's just assumed. When applicants asked me "why did you choose this program", I was just thinking "I didn't". After the initial shock and 4 years later I have to say it worked out very, very well and I think I would not have been well suited to my no.1. Remember, you are about to become a physician and begin your training in the most fascinating field of medicine and you can live where you want and practice where you want once you've finished. The outlook is very good because of how ridiculously uncompetitive fellowships are and the job market is very good compared to most other fields of medicine. You will likely enjoy a satisfying career that allows you to privilege lifestyle and be in at least the top 5% of earners.

Here are my thoughts:

1. It's open season on psychiatrists
Psychiatrists have long fallen from grace in the eyes of the public. Always the ugly step-child of medicine, psychiatrists were once the most respected medical specialtists by the general public. Today psychiatrists are seen as preaching pseudoscience, pathologizing all of mental life, peddling quack treatments, often under coercion or control and beholden to the pharmaceutical companies, ready to label and medicate anything that moves. The unholy alliance of psychiatry and the pharmaceutical industry has severely undermined the credibility of the profession.

2. Good enough is NOT good enough
As a result, it is no longer acceptable to simply want to be a "good-enough" psychiatrist in the Winnicottian sense. You should be aspiring to be the best psychiatrist you can - you owe to your chosen profession and your patients.

3. Learn the language of psychiatry

Descriptive psychopathology is the language of psychiatry and yet the vast majority of American psychiatrists lack fluency in it. If you don't know the difference between hallucinations and pseudohallucinations, pallilalia and verbigeration, word salad and transcortical sensory aphasia, ultradian cycling and emotional lability, then you will be diagnosing everyone with borderline personality disorder and schizoaffective disorder, and missing real brain disease like fronto-temporal dementia, stroke, epilepsy, and failing to distinguish psychosis from neurosis, and character disorder from neurosis. Potentially with disastrous consequences.

Fish's Clinical Psychopathology is a good place to start (though I prefer to older edition by Max Hamilton). Symptoms in the Mind by Sims is another.

For the adventurous:
Kraepelin E. Manic-Depressive Insanity and Paranoia. Edinburgh: Livingstone, 1921
Jaspers J. General Psychopathology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1953
Bleuler E. Dementia Praecox: Or, the Group of Schizophrenias. New York: International Universities Press, 1950
Schneider K. Clinical Psychopathology. New York: Grune & Stratton, 1959

4. You can't make a diagnosis you haven't heard of before
Not heard of Ganser's syndrome, De Clerembault Syndrome, Othello Syndrome, Capgras syndrome, or Cotard syndrome? Then how will you ever identify them? (I have seen several cases of each of these)

Check out:
Enoch MD, Trethowan WH. Uncommon psychiatric syndromes. Bristol: John Wright & Sons, 1979
Friedmann CTH, Fauget RA. (Eds.) Extraordinary disorders of human behavior. New York: Plenum Press, 1982

5. Don't forget about the Brain!
While learning about the neurobiological basis of psychiatric syndromes is all well and good some of this is pseudoscience and the rest does not have any clinical relevance. But having a working knowledge of the neuroanatomy of emotion is a must for the 21st century psychiatrist.

Also being able to recognize when your patient actually has brain disease is the most important thing you can do as a psychiatrist! But it requires suspicious, curiosity, and the last point, for you to have heard of the diagnosis. I have seen patients with VGKC antibody limbic encephalitis presenting with catatonia, SLE presenting with schizophreniform psychosis, frontal-variant Alzheimer's presenting as mania, temporal lobe epilepsy presenting as intermittent explosive disorder , bvFTD presenting as psychotic depression, semantic dementia presenting as depression etc... sadly neuropsychiatry is not part of the skillset of the general psychiatrists and many patients are being misdiagnosed.

Check out:
Lishman's Organic Psychiatry
Texbook of Clinical Neuropsychiatry

6. Step out of your comfort zone

We learn the most when we step out of our comfort zone. in fact there are probalby only a few months of your entire residency where most of your learning happens. Adapted from Donald Light's sociological calendar - these are probably your first month of medicine, first month of inpatient psych, first nightfloat/night call block, first therapy patient, starting outpatient. If you are averse to psychotherapy then learn as much as you can and get as much experience in this. If you are not keen on psychopharm, master this and take on complex psychopharm cases. If you don't like child psychiatry, push yourself to get the most out of it or even do extra rotations.

7. You can't learn it all
General psychiatrists are notoriously woeful at group therapy, family therapy, couples therapy, psychosexual medicine, sleep medicine, managing eating disorders, paraphilias, dissociative disorders, somatization, intellectual disability and autistic spectrum disorders. You may have to use your elective time, attend conferneces, do parallel additional training (especially for the psychotherapies) or learning after residency to get comfortable with some of these other areas. This does not necessarily mean doing a fellowship however. Medicine really is about lifelong learning

8. Explore what excites you and run with it
Intern year can be a drag. PGY-2 year can suck even more. You will enjoy your experience better if you can remember what it was that excited you about the specialty if the first place. If there wasn't anything - find it. Maybe its bioethics, palliative medicine, public psychiatry, forensics, addictions, psychodynamics, clinical neuroscience, administration, teaching, clinical interviewing, public engagement, technology ... whatever it is tell everyone what you're interests are. Try and make your rotations relevant to this. Meet with people early to see how to cultivate these interests. Identify kindred spirits (cointerns, residents, or psychiatrists in practice) who will support these interests and provide mentorship.

9. Find a mentor...or 10
Mentoring is extremely important for personal and professional development. Mentors don't have to be senior psychiatrists (or even psychiatrists at all). You may find that actually junior faculty and more available to help with that. Peer mentors (fellow residents) may also be invaluable. Look outside your program too - only a tiny minority of programs have "everything". Although it's better to have a connection put you in touch with someone, or use databases (for example AAAP has a mentoring database to identify psychiatrists) you can just ask people whether they would. Be gracious, you need to put in most of the effort, make the time for it, don't take your mentors for granted. Most of my mentors were not at my residency program. If you're interested in psychodynamics but don't have anyone at your program the AAPDP has a mentoring program (you can use skype etc).

And pay it forward...mentor medical students and undergrads etc - you have more to offer than you think!

10. Take advantage of opportunities outside of your program
If you're interested in global mental health but your program doesn't have opportunities other programs do! If you're interested in psychoanalytic training then you can do this with a local analytic institute. This can sometimes be done remotely if you aren't near one. There are training on a whole bunch of other therapies like hypnosis, EMDR, IPT, ISTDP, mentalization based treatment - it's usually much cheaper to do this as a resident.

There are also various national opportunities - for example the APA has a number of fellowship programs (public psych, minority, child psych, leadership) that provide leadership training, networking and mentoring opportunities. The NNCI has a scholarship program for residents interested in neuroscience education. the ACP has a PRITE Fellowship if you fancy writing the questions! the GAP has a fellowship program if you fancy writing on a taskforce and hob-knobbing with the great and good of American Psychiatry. There are usually travel awards to attend conferences such as the APM (psychosomatic), AAGP (geriatrics), AAAP (addictions), ASAM (addictions) meetings (or if you volunteer it will be free). These opportunities also allow you to meet with residents etc outside of your training program and develop your professional network and make friends etc. You will also be enthusiastically welcome if you wish to get involved with the subspecialty organizations or with your state psychiatric association/district branch.

11. Residency is supposed to suck
People who whine about how awful residency is typically do so from a vantage point of thinking that is supposed to be some wonderful utopia where they don't have to do any work and will be so much better than med school etc. Hate to break it to you but it is supposed to suck. Look at the facts: you don't have much autonomy or control, you are trapped because you can't afford to quit and it's hard to move around, likely crushed with six-figure debt, you are underpaid and at the mercy of people who could end your career if they so wished. It has all the hallmarks of what sociologists would call high job strain: a recipe for poor health.

Over 50% of psychiatry residents experience burn out. One of the reasons IMGs have much lower burnout rates is because they don't have a sense of entitlement or expectation of how wonderful it will be - they are grateful to have gotten a residency position and know that at the end of it they will enjoy significant autonomy and command a handsome salary.

If you remember it's supposed to suck you will enjoy it more because it's not as bad as that.

12. ...Remember you get to have a life!
Though the first year or two of residency can be hard, it's not surgery or one of those other dreadful specialties where the departrments own you and would begrudge you having a life. Enjoy your family, friends, old hobbies, new ones, traveling, etc etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 75 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Grateful for this.. I thought I would have to do some serious digging to find a thread like this.

Last edited:
Splik obviously a great poster, but don't let the pessimism about residency sucking become a self fulfilling prophecy for you. Become good friends with your co-residents and even intern year isn't bad if you enjoy hanging out with the people your working with

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for this splik, great post. I may try taking a look at some of the papers you had on the list you created a while back before July too.

Last edited:
Splik obviously a great poster, but don't let the pessimism about residency sucking become a self fulfilling prophecy for you.
I don't think it's necessarily pessimism as personality. Keep in mind that Splik is currently finishing up residency. And the typical arch for resident excitement is that it is highest early on and (ahem) tapers with time. What was new and challenging becomes familiar and frustrating. By the middle of PGY-4 year, most folks are mentally checked out and one foot out the door with their mind on fellowship or employment. Folks keep commenting on residents who were dissing their program or the field during residency interviews and/or dinners; inevitably, these were PGY-3's/4's.

But I think it is normal and healthy and definitely okay to go in to residency very excited and passionate about the field. I find that the folks who have the hardest time in residency are not the ones that go in guns blazing only to get that passion tempered; it is the ones that go in expecting the four years to be a futile drudge until it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

My point is that residency will have ups and downs, as will any demanding job. You will find it frustrating and overwhelming and damn near heart-breaking at times. There are limitations to your freedom and autonomy for much of it. You will be working a lot of call and pouring more hours into your work at the expense of hobbies and relationships. You will have a whole lot of feelings of being a cog in a cold, cold machine and get the sense your work doesn't mean a whole lot and that no one really cares about the work that you do.

But you will also have good days. You will have the time that you worked with a patient to an insight that challenged their maladaptive patterns they'd grown accustomed to over a long life. You worked with that addict when sobriety was really sticking. You were able to play a helping role in someone's darkest hour. You were able to change the way another physician treated "psych patients" when approaching them. You were able to implement a programmatic change that might not change the world, but might help a subculture or population subset on a small but meaningful way. There are days when you will leave your mark.

It's like a cross-country road trip. At times the food will be $hit, fields of wheat seem to go on forever without change, humidity will seem like it won't stop, and you just want to get out of the frakking car and go home and you can't. But you'll also see the jaw dropping maw of the Grand Canyon, hear blues the way they're meant to be played, and see tendrils of mist in the Smokies at dawn. Overall? A lot more humidity, bad sandwiches, and wheat fields, but the rest makes the ride well worth it if you're ready for it and willing to be mindful when it occurs. Parts of residency will definitely suck, but it can also be a satisfying ride, depending on how you experience it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
Thanks, Splik for the helpful post. What would recommend for between now and the start of intern year? In your opinion, should we start reviewing/studying so we'll feel more ready to go on service or should we use this calm before to storm to relax?

I'll add on to @splik's list a little...

1) Splik covered why it's important to hammer home the bio and the psycho... but don't forget about the social! It's hard to treat a patient if you don't understand the context in which the patient exists. The three prongs of the biopsychosocial model don't exist in a vaccum. If you're relocating, move to the new city as soon as you can, start following local news closely, fill your twitter feed with news sources from local reporters. If you're staying put, start escaping the bubble you were likely in as a med student. Understand transit and how your patients are getting around, read up on the history and economy of your location. Start learning what social services are utilized once you start.

The place where you practice in residency is going to have it's own series of unique cultural contexts. The more you understand these, the more you will understand the sociocultural factors that are going to play a HUGE part in the mental health of your patients. Like it or not, no matter the program, there is going to be a social work aspect to your job, and the more you know the communities that your patients exist in, the more you can guide their treatment.

2) Residency does suck at times, but your level of autonomy is still MILES ahead of where it was in med school. You will be actually making decisions that count and your work actually matters. Enjoy that. This isn't med school anymore and that's a good thing.

Reactions: 12 users
Intern year is slowly coming to an end. I don't have as much wisdom as @splik to share, but some things that I've learned or observed this year:

1) Learn to be flexible. There have been times when this year was tough, sure, but nothing that has even approached insurmountable. The folks in my class that I've noticed that have had trouble are those who seem unwilling or unable to be flexible: unwilling to learn, unwilling to subjugate themselves to the role of trainee, etc. While, yes, you are a physician, you are also still learning. You aren't at the top of the totem pole just because you've graduated from medical school. I'm surprised at how many residents that I've worked with - both psychiatric and otherwise - that don't seem to get this point.

2) Work hard, be humble, don't be an ass, and you will do fine. Again, there are attendings that are tough to work with everywhere but I have yet to experience any of these "completely awful," "sexist," and "crazy" attendings that some of my classmates report on - and I've worked with many of the same people. I imagine this largely has to do with your attitude while working and your willingness to "play your part." Yes, that sometimes might mean making sacrifices.

3) You will learn a lot, but you will also do things that don't contribute much to your education. Be prepared for this.

4) Read as much as you can when you can. This is often difficult, and I freely admit that I'm not the best example in this regard. But it can be tough to begin learning the intricacies of evaluation, diagnosis, and management when you don't have the basic principles down pat.

5) As much as you're able, take advantage of opportunities that are available to you. Even for things that you may not be interested in - try and get involved (without driving yourself crazy). Often these things can lead to more opportunities down the road. The AJP Residents' Journal is calling for papers on something you find somewhat interesting? Volunteer to do it and take a stab at writing a paper. Someone shares an opportunity to do research or get involved with something? If you think you'll have the time, get involved. Are there travel/fellowship awards from various societies available for you to potentially go to a conference for free or very cheap? Apply for them. This is how you network and start to build up a "reputation" as someone that gets involved with lots of things.

@splik may be a pessimist but he has a lot of great points to offer the incoming residents. In many ways I try and model myself on him/her - at least when it comes to reading and learning about as much as I possibly can.

Great post.

Reactions: 10 users
Thanks, Splik for the helpful post. What would recommend for between now and the start of intern year? In your opinion, should we start reviewing/studying so we'll feel more ready to go on service or should we use this calm before to storm to relax?
Bump! I've been thinking about this as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
The advice I just recently received from some IM residents and fellows I was working with was to do nothing. The rationale is that the problems you mostly will be dealing with as an intern are mostly just not the things any book will prepare you for. Like figuring out how to deal with all the nursing pages, whether or not you are ok giving this patient that medication, etc. Anything you need to know for a patients care plan you can read on uptodate as you go.

They are probably right... But I'm still not sure I am going to take the advice. It seems like it would be a lot easier to already know what I'm doing for at the least the most basic assessment and plans when I am having to round on so many patients in 2-3 hours on a medicine service. Having to stop the process to look this or that on uptodate seems incredibly inefficient. So I'm gonna try to do a little reading from a basic medicine house staff manual like The Washington Manual or MGH pocket medicine. Nothing too crazy, just a little reading a couple times per week until July.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I hope this thread is still being read by its helpful posters. I am an IMG and will do a sub-internship in inpatient psychiatry soon. Can anyone recommend a book that gives a structured guideline on how to conduct the psychiatric interview and write a patient note. I have plenty of practice doing it in my mother tongue but would like to get more familiar with the American formalities and terms. So far I have been preparing with Kaplan videos and a book from the "Practical Guides in Psychiatry" series.

Hey I hope this thread is still being read by its helpful posters. I am an IMG and will do a sub-internship in inpatient psychiatry soon. Can anyone recommend a book that gives a structured guideline on how to conduct the psychiatric interview and write a patient note. I have plenty of practice doing it in my mother tongue but would like to get more familiar with the American formalities and terms. So far I have been preparing with Kaplan videos and a book from the "Practical Guides in Psychiatry" series.
Just a fellow medical student...
Carlat's interview book is good for learning the general organization of psychiatric interview/phrasing questions/approaching special situations.

You can find outlines of psychiatric evaluation in many books. The first chapter of "MGH/McLean Hospital Residency Handbook of Psychiatry" has a good outline of psychiatric evaluation (basically, the skeleton of psychiatric H&P that you can hang the "meat" of your findings on), as well as a good table of Mental Status Examination terms that you can use in your MSE. The reason I recommend this book is that, despite its tiny size, it's chuck full of practical information, so if you're serious about psychiatry it'll serve you not only for sub-Is but also in the beginning of psychiatry residency (at least that's what I heard from residents, and the book does look like a gem).

Regarding note writing, it'll also help reading resident notes at the place where you'll be rotating.

Since none of my students matched into their no.1 and it seems like quite a few people here have gone down lower on their rank list than they would have liked or thought possible, am just bumping this up.

Since none of my students matched into their no.1 and it seems like quite a few people here have gone down lower on their rank list than they would have liked or thought possible, am just bumping this up.

Wait how the hell are you only a resident? I've ready many of your posts and you seem very experienced and knowledgeable on a broad spectrum of topics in psychiatry. If you're only a resident with this type of knowledge base and expertise, are attendings like geniuses...

People who whine about how awful residency is typically do so from a vantage point of thinking that is supposed to be some wonderful utopia where they don't have to do any work and will be so much better than med school etc. Hate to break it to you but it is supposed to suck. Look at the facts: you don't have much autonomy or control, you are trapped because you can't afford to quit and it's hard to move around, likely crushed with six-figure debt, you are underpaid and at the mercy of people who could end your career if they so wished. It has all the hallmarks of what sociologists would call high job strain: a recipe for poor health.

Over 50% of psychiatry residents experience burn out. One of the reasons IMGs have much lower burnout rates is because they don't have a sense of entitlement or expectation of how wonderful it will be - they are grateful to have gotten a residency position and know that at the end of it they will enjoy significant autonomy and command a handsome salary.

If you remember it's supposed to suck you will enjoy it more because it's not as bad as that.

Splik I read your post last year and didn't think much of this part, but stumbling back onto it as a pgy-1 on internal medicine.. this is so incredibly true. I went into residency thinking that it will be the most incredible 3(+2) years of life experience filled with learning tons of psychotherapy, helping people, discovering more about myself, and having the best work/life balance.

Nope. The reality hit me like a ton of bricks in July and residency has been miserable because of the mismatch between expectations and reality. On my medicine off-site there are tons of IMG medicine residents who are so grateful and happy to have matched, whereas I'm absolutely baffled on why people choose to do this for a living and sometimes wonder if I am better off stocking shelves at a local grocers...

My 2 cents: Do some research in residency! Yes it is going to be busy but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You don't need to get started PGY-1 but keep and eye out for what you are interested in and who you could work with. As you go through PGY-1 think what is interesting and what is odd. You have fresh eyes on the psychiatry world now and an unbiased perspective. That is really valuable. Use it to your advantage. A simple case report, a perspective piece, a review paper, a simple survey study....its all more doable than you think.

Splik I read your post last year and didn't think much of this part, but stumbling back onto it as a pgy-1 on internal medicine.. this is so incredibly true. I went into residency thinking that it will be the most incredible 3(+2) years of life experience filled with learning tons of psychotherapy, helping people, discovering more about myself, and having the best work/life balance.

Nope. The reality hit me like a ton of bricks in July and residency has been miserable because of the mismatch between expectations and reality. On my medicine off-site there are tons of IMG medicine residents who are so grateful and happy to have matched, whereas I'm absolutely baffled on why people choose to do this for a living and sometimes wonder if I am better off stocking shelves at a local grocers...

In my last month of inpatient medicine at a very warm and supportive community hospital with good teaching, kind attendings, seniors who are on the ball and who really act like they have my back and definitely no duty hour violations. As humane as inpatient medicine could possibly be. Co-interns are lovely people, many of who I would love to hang out with socially.

I hate every minute of it anyway. It sucks and is horrible.

Reactions: 2 users

Any further thoughts on this? Thanks for bumping this, it's a great resource.

One of the best posts here. STICKY?

Reactions: 4 users
Is the original version of Fish's Psychopathology available anywhere for a decent price?

This entire thread: :bow:

In all seriousness, can we just sticky Splik's profile? Because this is probably the 4th or 5th thread of his that's given me more reading topics than I could even start to hope for.

I proud of y'all! As the intern year is approaching, I wanted to be prepared as much as possible. I really liked the book Carlat's interview book that @Amygdarya suggested. Can you guys think of any other resource that help you gain "practical knowledge"? I learn by doing so uworld helped me a lot during med school. Can you think of similar resources for psychiatry? Online Qbanks, online simulated interviews?, mock therapy videos, psychpharm Qs, flashcards, etc?

Another year, and I find this part as true as ever...

This is a great post, although I would disagree on the part about child psych. If you don't like it, stay away from it and it won't bother you most of the time.

I found this thread very enlightening, and I thought other MS4’s who just matched into psych might also benefit from it.

Residency doesnt suck. Residency is what it is. Your expectations suck big time. Your expectations lead to cognitive distortions which eventually lead to burnout. So it is not the residency but you are the reason of burnout.

- I have worked very hard for this. Now I am a physician!! I will be respected by my colleagues and the patients!!!!!!!
- There will be wonderful like-minded colleagues and attendings to work with!!!
- Ancillary staff will be very helpful and as a team we will be efficiently treating many people who need help!!!!
- I read many books!!!! i will be able to solve the mysteries and puzzles in most difficult cases!!! I will change my patients lives !!!!!!!
- My ideas and advices will be appreciated by my attendings, co-residents and ancillary staff!!! I will shine as a resident in the program!!!
- I am going somewhere in which there are wonderful people!!! They are all very eager to teach me and learn from me!!! Such a collaborative environment!!!
-I will be treated as a doctor during residency and because of my achievements I will be well respected!!!

With couple of these cognitive distortions you have, if not all, you should feel extremely blessed and lucky If you do not feel burnout by the 6th. month of intern year.

Reactions: 5 users
Revisiting what I wrote as an intern earlier in this thread, now 3 years later, about to graduate, and joining faculty as an inpatient attending, I still stand by everything that I said. Both within my class and as a chief, it's interesting to me that the majority of people do well within the program but there are a small number of residents who seem to recurrently have problems. Many of these people share the same qualities: they're unable/unwilling to accept critical feedback (or take this feedback extremely personally and as a testament to their character/worth as a person rather than someone learning a set of skills that requires practice); they have difficulty working with others (e.g., not a team player, are inflexible when it comes to demanding time off, are unable to communicate with their colleagues and/or their supervisors appropriately, think too highly of themselves); have poor insight into how they are perceived and/or how challenging they can be to deal with and a sense of entitlement about their training (e.g., thinking they shouldn't have to work hard, thinking that certain things are "below them," being unwilling to do things that, while a waste of time, are nevertheless required of them).

As long as you're constantly working to figure out how to improve, you understand that what you are doing can constantly be improved and will take time to improve, you're dedicated to working as hard as you can to improve, and you're willing to take feedback, you will do fine.

Revisiting what I wrote as an intern earlier in this thread, now 3 years later, about to graduate, and joining faculty as an inpatient attending, I still stand by everything that I said. Both within my class and as a chief, it's interesting to me that the majority of people do well within the program but there are a small number of residents who seem to recurrently have problems. Many of these people share the same qualities: they're unable/unwilling to accept critical feedback (or take this feedback extremely personally and as a testament to their character/worth as a person rather than someone learning a set of skills that requires practice); they have difficulty working with others (e.g., not a team player, are inflexible when it comes to demanding time off, are unable to communicate with their colleagues and/or their supervisors appropriately, think too highly of themselves); have poor insight into how they are perceived and/or how challenging they can be to deal with and a sense of entitlement about their training (e.g., thinking they shouldn't have to work hard, thinking that certain things are "below them," being unwilling to do things that, while a waste of time, are nevertheless required of them).

As long as you're constantly working to figure out how to improve, you understand that what you are doing can constantly be improved and will take time to improve, you're dedicated to working as hard as you can to improve, and you're willing to take feedback, you will do fine.

Dare I say.... what you describe sounds like.... personality disorder?!?

Residency doesnt suck. Residency is what it is. Your expectations suck big time. Your expectations lead to cognitive distortions which eventually lead to burnout. So it is not the residency but you are the reason of burnout.

- I have worked very hard for this. Now I am a physician!! I will be respected by my colleagues and the patients!!!!!!!
- There will be wonderful like-minded colleagues and attendings to work with!!!
- Ancillary staff will be very helpful and as a team we will be efficiently treating many people who need help!!!!
- I read many books!!!! i will be able to solve the mysteries and puzzles in most difficult cases!!! I will change my patients lives !!!!!!!
- My ideas and advices will be appreciated by my attendings, co-residents and ancillary staff!!! I will shine as a resident in the program!!!
- I am going somewhere in which there are wonderful people!!! They are all very eager to teach me and learn from me!!! Such a collaborative environment!!!
-I will be treated as a doctor during residency and because of my achievements I will be well respected!!!

With couple of these cognitive distortions you have, if not all, you should feel extremely blessed and lucky If you do not feel burnout by the 6th. month of intern year.

Agree with the above. The sooner you subsume yourself into the Process--one part of the slowly churning whole of patient care--the happier you'll be.

In terms of adjusting to the first year of residency, your primary value will be as a shuttle of information (what do I know, who else needs to know, and have I told them), organized holder of to-dos (checky boxes are your friend), willingness to call whoever needs to be called and quickly, and point person to interface with SW/nursing/family/patient/pharmacy/outpatient clinicians. Close the loops.

Writing notes fast and in the morning is the secret to sanity. You can addend with updated plans later.

It will amaze you how little you can know but how your team will deem you a strong intern for basic organizational skills, reliability, and minimal complaining. Try to have fun too.

Last edited:
Many of these people share the same qualities: they're unable/unwilling to accept critical feedback (or take this feedback extremely personally and as a testament to their character/worth as a person rather than someone learning a set of skills that requires practice); they have difficulty working with others (e.g., not a team player, are inflexible when it comes to demanding time off, are unable to communicate with their colleagues and/or their supervisors appropriately, think too highly of themselves); have poor insight into how they are perceived and/or how challenging they can be to deal with and a sense of entitlement about their training (e.g., thinking they shouldn't have to work hard, thinking that certain things are "below them," being unwilling to do things that, while a waste of time, are nevertheless required of them).

Great points. Agree, most people seem to do fine through residency, but it will be interesting to see how that changes with shift in our culture, where students/trainees/people in position of “low power” are more overtly protected/shielded from potential abuse. This could have the unintended effect of shielding them from learning how to accept criticism/feedback, or from the reality that their individual needs and comforts often have to be put aside for the sake of a greater good. It’s tough to balance the idea that if you made it to this point you should feel confident enough in yourself to take care of another human, but you still have a lot to prove that you can do it well and are worth something to the system.

Also, interesting points about letting yourself become subsumed by “the process.” For me, the difference between exhaustion and burnout is a sustained sense of meaning in what I’m doing, that I’m continuing to have an important impact on the world through my efforts. Part of the appeal of high stress situations is that they can pull people together; being surrounded by a group of people I respect and trust is an easy way to sustain that sense of meaning when I question whether or not my patients are getting better, if I’m practicing “real medicine” etc. or through that period of training holding a constantly repopulating “to-do list.” Of course, the same logic in extreme could apply to a cult, which is why having a sense of meaning outside of work is nice.

Last edited:
This post is why I have not missed the academic world much since finishing fellowship. If only the feedback given to residents was accurate and helpful, but in reality that is often not the case, and sometimes based more on the attending's personal feelings toward the resident. Also, psychiatry is a little different than many medical specialties in that by PG2 year some residents are better than some attendings and by third or fourth year there is a huge disparity in knowledge and skill level which continues post residency/fellowship. The bolded part of the post is disappointing to read. Resident physicians are at times forced to do things that are "below them" in that the great majority of physicians would not be willing to do them and the education and skill of a physician are not required. I miss some parts of the academic setting and would enjoy teaching residents, but this type of personality, which is fairly pervasive in academia, is obnoxious.

I have never had a chairman who doesn't describe the faculty as a bunch of needy prim donnas. Then again by October, most chief residents describe residents the same way. :p

Psychiatry is a special field. The more you read, the better psychiatrist you become. The more experienced psychiatrists are not necessarily more skillful and knowledgeable than the least experienced ones. This is not the truth for surgical and medical fields for the most part.

In hierarchy, a resident is inferior to an attending without question but in knowledge and skill, I know residents who are much better psychiatrists than the attendings

I was a pretty bad resident in the beginning. Then I learned how to become a good actor rather than a good psychiatrist. I became a resident my attending wanted, not a psychiatrist whose primary goal is to relieve suffering of his patients with the most evidence based treatment modality. I learned the most recent evidence based approaches from the books and literature but I only did what I was told and expected to do. For example when I was told to give benadryl for over 65 years of age, I did say WTF but did not vocalize it. Maybe it was not the best thing for my patients, but this is how I kept my sanity and residency seat. The transformation was breathtaking. Slowly I became a so called `` golden resident``.

Frankly, from personal experience, one of the most helpful skills in residency has been knowing to stand up for oneself and learning not to give a s*** when appropriate.

Bottom point, treat it as you would treat any professional job, and (maybe controversially) that happens by NOT bowing your head and being on the receiving end to whatever is thrown at you. This is how you earn respect, but you also have to do your part of the "deal" (be professional, courteous, on time, do good work..etc). It's a bit ironic cause we are pummeled with "professionalism" throughout medical training, but I don't think we actually learn what true professionalism is, either in med school or in residency. It's more of a "hidden secret" that you will need to pickup for yourself.

I was a pretty bad resident in the beginning. Then I learned how to become a good actor rather than a good psychiatrist. I became a resident my attending wanted, not a psychiatrist whose primary goal is to relieve suffering of his patients with the most evidence based treatment modality. I learned the most recent evidence based approaches from the books and literature but I only did what I was told and expected to do. For example when I was told to give benadryl for over 65 years of age, I did say WTF but did not vocalize it. Maybe it was not the best thing for my patients, but this is how I kept my sanity and residency seat. The transformation was breathtaking. Slowly I became a so called `` golden resident``.

A different perspective perhaps, but this hasn't been my experience. I "kept my sanity" by treating residency as no different than any job; you do your part of the bargain but you also have to be prepared to stand your ground when you feel you should and make your case when you think patients are at risk. Of course hierarchy is there for a reason but within any hierarchy there should be avenues to place your own input. At the end of the day, the quality of your work will speak for itself. It's obviously very personality dependent, so I guess people will have to find their own way, but I think sooner rather than later, this kind of attitude is going to be useful once you are in the professional world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, from personal experience, one of the most helpful skills in residency has been knowing to stand up for oneself and learning not to give a s*** when appropriate.

Bottom point, treat it as you would treat any professional job, and (maybe controversially) that happens by NOT bowing your head and being on the receiving end to whatever is thrown at you. This is how you earn respect, but you also have to do your part of the "deal" (be professional, courteous, on time, do good work..etc). It's a bit ironic cause we are pummeled with "professionalism" throughout medical training, but I don't think we actually learn what true professionalism is, either in med school or in residency. It's more of a "hidden secret" that you will need to pickup for yourself.

A different perspective perhaps, but this hasn't been my experience. I "kept my sanity" by treating residency as no different than any job; you do your part of the bargain but you also have to be prepared to stand your ground when you feel you should and make your case when you think patients are at risk. Of course hierarchy is there for a reason but within any hierarchy there should be avenues to place your own input. At the end of the day, the quality of your work will speak for itself. It's obviously very personality dependent, so I guess people will have to find their own way, but I think sooner rather than later, this kind of attitude is going to be useful once you are in the professional world.

I mostly agree for what it's worth, but part of the hidden curriculum of residency is figuring out which attendings are going to respect you more for politely standing your ground and offering reasoned objections to what they would like to do, and which attendings are the sort of malignant narcissists that are going to make you regret doing this. Sometimes professionalism in a hierarchy does mean keeping your head down and getting through to the next rotation or next service and finding what room you can to exercise your autonomy. Some people just don't care what you think.

Thankfully this has been very rare in my program and you will probably figure out pretty quickly who this applies to. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that someone who seems nice and friendly isn't this person or that the attending who seems brusque and abrupt necessarily is this person. And some of the most obvious narcissistic attendings I have encountered seem to respect residents who push back.

Can you guys recommend any good intro text to psychiatry? Would it be a good idea to learn the ins and outs of all the psych drugs before starting? Anything else I should do before residency starts?

Can you guys recommend any good intro text to psychiatry? Would it be a good idea to learn the ins and outs of all the psych drugs before starting? Anything else I should do before residency starts?

Kaplan and Saddock is the classic overview text. For psychopharm I've really liked Maudsley's, but it's more of a reference than something you read cover to cover.
imho you shouldn't do anything besides relax before you start. Can't imagine you would retain anything you read right now anyways given that you won't be applying it for months.

I mostly agree for what it's worth, but part of the hidden curriculum of residency is figuring out which attendings are going to respect you more for politely standing your ground and offering reasoned objections to what they would like to do, and which attendings are the sort of malignant narcissists that are going to make you regret doing this. Sometimes professionalism in a hierarchy does mean keeping your head down and getting through to the next rotation or next service and finding what room you can to exercise your autonomy. Some people just don't care what you think.

Thankfully this has been very rare in my program and you will probably figure out pretty quickly who this applies to. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that someone who seems nice and friendly isn't this person or that the attending who seems brusque and abrupt necessarily is this person. And some of the most obvious narcissistic attendings I have encountered seem to respect residents who push back.

Great post - I’d add this is also a useful clinical skill for patient care. There should be some flexibility in your approach, a realization that some patients can be challenged and others can’t. You should always question the thought “I’ve got it all figured out,” since what may work magically for one patient/attending/trainee will inevitably NOT work for another.

To echo earlier posts, there’s a theme with “problem residents”, which applies to problem patients, family members, attendings, etc, and that’s a combination of lack of insight and tendency to externalize (ie “I’m not consistently miserable because of my own actions, I’m miserable because someone else is incompetent/unsupportive/sadistic/jealous”). I’m not advocating masochism, or ignoring times when people in power ARE negligent or abusive (which certainly does happen), but if you find yourself consistently blaming others for your problem, or alone in your opinions, it could be time for self-reflection. This is one of the biggest reasons to have a group you trust and respect to model off of. And if you feel that you’re too smart/accomplished/self-aware to find such a group in your current environment, I’m guessing you’ve already stopped reading at this point so I’ll just wrap this up.

Personally, I have an easier time learning through practical application, so learned most of psychopharmacology in a few weeks of inpatient psych, looking up treatment algorithms from studies like STAR*D, CATIE, and STEP-BD, keeping Stahls handy and looking up drugs each admitted patient presented on (good to learn mechanism of action/receptor affinity, but I think he overstates clinical applications).

It’s been mentioned a million times here, but the second half of MS-4 is best used learning something outside of psych. By the end of intern year, everyone will have the basic psychopharmacology knowledge, but you’ll impress people more if you can recall something you picked up on a GI or wilderness medicine rotation. Ideally, the most impressive thing would be fostering a skill outside of medicine altogether (like cooking, travel, art appreciation, basket weaving — whatever).

The books I read that I keep going back to are more narrative based, like House of God (Samuel Shem), the Year of Magical Thinking (Joan Didion), and the Atul Gawande books. Others I’d recommend that have come out since would be Emperor of All Maladies or When Breath Becomes Air.

I have never had a chairman who doesn't describe the faculty as a bunch of needy prim donnas. Then again by October, most chief residents describe residents the same way.

Steve Strakowski, the former head at U of Cincinnati's psych department had a rule. You can complain all you want so long as you do it upfront, not behind everyone's back, you've got a solution to the problem you're complaining about and you're going to put the time and work to make that solution happen. (Otherwise shut up).

So whenever someone had a complaint at a meeting, he expected the same person to bring up a solution, and he'd make that person in charge of seeking to fix it unless someone else volunteered.

Good rule.

It'll shut up a lot of prima-donnas who like to hear themselves speak.

Whenever I was at a place and I had complaints I followed his rule and told my bosses I'd do the extra work needed to make the improvement happen and ask them to back me up or do something they thought was better. While I was at U of C they did this. At later places I worked they didn't, so guess what? I left and became my own boss.

Reactions: 2 users