SOAP 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question,

It is my understanding that programs rank us, and offers are extended based on that. Are we supposed to make a rank list too?

Members don't see this ad.

For those partially matched, you can call NRMP and ask what location you matched. Explain that you are trying to pair your location for intern year and advanced year in the same location so you do not have to move. The person was nice enough to me.

I found the NRMP phone number in the "Reminders for Match Week and SOAP" email.
This actually works. I matched a prelim program and I was able to call them and find out where to aide me in SOAPing an advanced position.

any caribbean IMGs here?

I have good scores, but haven't received any calls. I know we have a lesser chance, but IDK.

this sucks

US born carribean IMG

second year of applying... again did not match this year.
SOAPing as well.

applied for IM first year, then IM/FM this year.

only 1 phone interview via the SOAP so far for a rural FM program

**** sucks. keep your head up.

Quick question,

It is my understanding that programs rank us, and offers are extended based on that. Are we supposed to make a rank list too?

No. At noon tomorrow offers will be extended to us, whichever offers based on the program lists (program has 5 spots, top 5 people on their list). We then choose which one to accept. You have 2 hrs, then they all are taken away and go back in the pool.

any caribbean IMGs here?

I have good scores, but haven't received any calls. I know we have a lesser chance, but IDK.

this sucks
I'm an IMG. Getting the same deafening silence I got during interview season

For prelim surgery positions, should I expect a lot of phone calls or do they usually not conduct phone interviews? I haven't received any phone calls

This is something that I can't get a straight answer on either. I am applying prelim surg/prelim med, and some say all offers are only to interviewed candidates, some say that many programs don't interview at all... Some say it depends on the type of program. Some prelim surg programs definitely do interview though, because my friend who is SOAPing into prelim surg has already gotten 2 interviews.

In last year's SOAP thread, someone got an offer for prelim IM with no contact beforehand....so it's definitely a possibility :)

Chin up guys...we got this!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
applied to 35 prelim surgery, got one email saying I am high on their rank list.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow I keep thinking that this whole SOAP process is just one huge mind game.
I am a US MS4. As for me, I applied for 27 prelim surg, 7 prelim IM, 1 transitional, all on northeast. So far, did 2 interviews over the phone with 2 of the IM programs, waiting for a call from a surgery program that e-mailed me. No contact other than that.
My dean told me if I get any offers tomorrow, to snatch it up.
Every time my phone beeps that I got an e-mail, I jump. So scared.

Hey guys,

I feel for each and every one of you who has to go through the SOAP this year. I went through it last year and came out empty-handed, but I matched this year. I hope you are all able to get something in the SOAP, but it's not the end of the world if you don't. Everything happens for a reason. Here's hoping you all get good news tomorrow.

Reactions: 15 users
When I click on ADTS lite on MyEras, it says my apps are all "available to program". Does this mean they downloaded them?

Is anyone seeing, "application downloaded", or something along those lines?

When I click on ADTS lite on MyEras, it says my apps are all "available to program". Does this mean they downloaded them?

Is anyone seeing, "application downloaded", or something along those lines?
From what I understand of the process, ADTS will only tell you "Yes" if the program downloaded your application. There will be no other information.

I'm an IMG with a 2011 YOG 212 second attempt, 224 Step 2 CK passed on the first try, passed CS on the first try and have 4 LoR's from US physicians(research and clinic). I applied to Neuro as a reach and then split the rest on IM/FM/Prelim Surgery. No calls yet.

Anyone SOAPing into Peds? Any interviews yet?

feeling really disheartened right now. (not trying to send everyone into a panic or anything).

applied to 50/50 prelim-surgery & categorical IM. complete silence on my end. us-img.

This morning I got a different response from my dean, who told me it's highly unlikely to receive an offer in the SOAP unless you've interviewed with that program. I feel like everyone is just screwing with me now. lol
dude this really f'in blows, because like u i keep getting different advice/thoughts...not sure who to trust anymore

I have mixed feelings about this whole thing. I hate to be in this horrifying process, but I'm actually pretty excited about some of the programs I've spoken with. I would have initially applied to them. I even like some of them better than the programs I ranked.

Sooooo...... I'm just hoping this all happened for a reason and I end up where I was meant to be and will be happy. (And I really don't want to be unemployed either).

Been contacted by 5 different FM programs so far, some with multiple calls. This is exhausting. And I can't eat.

I just received a phone call from an IM program in my home state...

It's the first contact that I have received from any IM programs.

Got a call a couple of hours ago from my school's IM program. I originally applied for psych and haven't heard from any of the ones I applied to for SOAP (10+ I think). Really hoping this means calls will keep coming all day...

Got a call a couple of hours ago from my school's IM program. I originally applied for psych and haven't heard from any of the ones I applied to for SOAP (10+ I think). Really hoping this means calls will keep coming all day...
Me too!

Last night I had a nightmare about not getting any prelim position through SOAP. Slept so horribly.
anyways...
Just had the most awkward 4 minute phone call. Got to ask a couple of questions. Got asked nothing. So weird.

3 calls (Prelim IM x2, Prelim Surg), 1 email (Prelim Surg) and counting....I hope.

My phone convo was really awkward too, lasted like 2 minutes and I had no idea what to ask. Hopefully they're understanding and have mercy on us

I am trying to SOAP into a surg prelim spot or if I were to be the luckiest guy on earth one of the categorical surgery spots. I am having a touch of anxiety because I haven't gotten any calls or emails yet.

I am trying to SOAP into a surg prelim spot or if I were to be the luckiest guy on earth one of the categorical surgery spots. I am having a touch of anxiety because I haven't gotten any calls or emails yet.
Same position :( Hang in there!
It is kinda late now but How do you guys feel about applying to different specialties? If my LOR and PS are geared toward one specialty (say G-surg), can I still use them for IM?

I would....I mean honestly, PD's get thousands of apps for 1-2 positions. I doubt anyone is actually going to read personal statements at this point....

Same position :( Hang in there!
It is kinda late now but How do you guys feel about applying to different specialties? If my LOR and PS are geared toward one specialty (say G-surg), can I still use them for IM?

I did, and my stuff was geared toward my specialty. Originally applied to psych and in SOAP I applied to unfilled psych spots, IM, prelim IM, and pathology (because I like and at this point, why not?)

Should we expect for sure that if we don't hear from a place that we won't receive an offer from that place tomorrow?

Should we expect for sure that if we don't hear from a place that we won't receive an offer from that place tomorrow?
I was reading the 2014 SOAP and some people received offers from places that did not call them.
Has anyone received offers yet?
Official offers won't start until tomorrow noon. If they tell you that they are ranking you - doesnt mean much because you don't know whether you are at the top or the bottom of the list.

LONGEST DAY EVEEEEEER!!! And my phone just doesn't want to ring

Reactions: 4 users
US IMG, Carib, first time in the match. Anyone have any luck getting contacted by Pathology programs. Applied to Internal Med initially, but now applied to 15 Med, 15 FM, and 5 Pathology. Radio silence.
Thanks and good luck everyone

It is tougher for the FMG's and the US IMG's as Most of the med schools have a dedicated staff working the phones and helping their students get in! They have to look good with 100% match rate.

It is tougher for the FMG's and the US IMG's as Most of the med schools have a dedicated staff working the phones and helping their students get in! They have to look good with 100% match rate.
I was under the assumption, that only programs are allowed to initiate contact, and no applicant or anyone on their behalf can initiate contact. However, I am not a AMG, so I dont know the system, and the inner workings.

Sure, but during SOAP it's considered a Match violation if anyone contacts programs on your behalf.

Even knowing this, crunching the numbers from 2014 and 2013, 82.3% and 85.6% of US grads get spots in SOAP respectively. The stats aren't great for FMGs/US IMG's.

They're not going to read PSs for all 1000 applicants, no.

But if they've screened it down to say 5-10 final candidates for 1 spot, absolutely they will read LORs and PS's for those.

Absolutely...but I was thinking don't people who applied super competitive specialities like Derm, Optho, etc. apply to different specialties all the time in SOAP? Wouldn't it be hard for them to get LOR's so last minute from the specialty they're applying to??

Sorry if I'm being repetitive, just trying to figure this whole process out =/

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have to go into clinic/hospital tomorrow? My school gave SOAP people yesterday and today off, but tomorrow seems kind of important...

Sure, but during SOAP it's considered a Match violation if anyone contacts programs on your behalf.

It is only a violation if you are caught.

I would heavily suspect there is behind the scenes communication going on between the medical schools and the programs that have open spots. If you are an attending who wrote a letter for a student who you thought was an excellent candidate but didn't match, and your best friend from med school is a Program Director with an open slot then I bet there is some talking going on there.

My wife's school releases the students that didn't match from clinic duties and has them report immediately to the medical school where there is a war room of sorts to get them a spot in the SOAP.

well no calls today. With the work day coming to a close, I think I'm done for teh first cycle. This sucks, someone hold me.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have to go into clinic/hospital tomorrow? My school gave SOAP people yesterday and today off, but tomorrow seems kind of important...

we're off until we match... we have a huge conference room with a lot of faculty, the assistant dean, etc... to walk us through this maze of s.hit

yesterday the dean was calling up our clinical sites and the univ. hosp telling them to release the students who didn't match asap (she had a list) and have them report to the conference room and that the students won't be reporting back until further notice and that their absences are considered excused

I am on a pretty laid back rotation right now, so I left early yesterday, and am taking today and tomorrow off. If I do not get an offer tomorrow I am going to be wreck on Thursday, but i will have to go because we need at least 3 days (a half day counts) for it to be considered a full clinical week.

Have been contacted by 7 programs now. I'm turning into a frazzled mess.

Logistical question/worry:

For programs that you applied to during the regular Match, but didn't get in... are they on your ADTS list of 35 programs?? I thought that I applied to them but now I'm worried that I didn't because they are not showing up there.... However, they do show up as updated in my original list of programs that I'm interested in...