SOAP question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgomedical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, with match week fast approaching, I wanted to be prepared for the worst case scenario.
Quick info about myself: I'm DO student, no red flags. Interviewed at 16 psych programs, ranked all. Got several "we ranked you highly" emails late January-February (whatever that means...)
I would like to pursue psych, and I was wondering if there are typically any psych places open during SOAP.
Also, if I don't even get SOAP positions, what options do I have as a DO student?
I would greatly appreciate any feedback! thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

i dont want to feed into your neurosis but as this is a legit question for some people (not someone with 16 interviews unless you had some major red flags) no one knows whether and how many spots there will be in the SOAP. programs dont have to put their unfilled spots in the SOAP they may leave them unfilled or fill them outside the SOAP afterwards. people drop out, get sick, have sick family members, or die at any point so there are usually the occasional spots every year open between match day and july. you can contact programs with your CV references and letter of interest and they will let you know if anything becomes available. you could get a prelim spot then apply as a PGY-2. you could do a TRI and then reapply for psych residency. you could (god forbid) see if there any spots open for DO psych residencies.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a,so very nervous as I am an US IMG but with 20 interviews between 2 specialties. I felt I did well but still scared being IMG

Members don't see this ad :)
you could (god forbid) see if there any spots open for DO psych residencies.

with the combined match starting within the next couple of years this may be an option to consider

What's a good resource to find if there are any DO spots open?

What a lot of applicants probably don’t realize is that programs that don’t fill, messed up in their process for the most part and not filling doesn’t necessarily correlate with quality of program. Almost every program is capable of filling and sometimes some very good programs mess up or get over confident. By far, most psych programs fill, not because it is competitive, but because it hasn’t been competitive for a very long time and our rank lists are long enough.

I found out that it costs programs money to register for SOAP. I would guess a lot of programs don’t plan on being in SOAP. There could be some good positions after SOAP floating out there. If this is like most years, there will not be a large number of SOAP or after SOAP in general however.

Again if you registered for the AOA match you have access to this. If you didn't I'm not even sure you're allowed to scramble into them

You don't need to have registered for AOA match to scramble into them. If there are spots left over you can essentially just call them as any point...it's basically like a post-match situation where it's a free for all.

You don't need to have registered for AOA match to scramble into them. If there are spots left over you can essentially just call them as any point...it's basically like a post-match situation where it's a free for all.

It was my understanding you had to register but not actually rank. I withdrew myself and had a link to non matched spots. Truthfully I half assed my knowledge of the DO match so I could definitely be wrong.

It was my understanding you had to register but not actually rank. I withdrew myself and had a link to non matched spots. Truthfully I half assed my knowledge of the DO match so I could definitely be wrong.

We got an email from the school saying you had to register on the site and pay the fee to scramble but could wait until after the MD match to do so, saving the neurotic amongst us who will match the $60 registration fee