Social/developmental psychologist (non-clinical) calling themselves psychologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikibah

MSW student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's an interesting question: I was looking through some ads in a local advertising booklet and came across the following (name made up):
Tom Robbins, PhD, MFT
Developmental psychologist
marriage and family therapist
This was an ad offering counseling and therapy. Here's the two part question:

1) What does it take for someone to be considered a developmental or social psychologist

2) Say somebody does meet this criteria can they represent themselves as such when offering counseling services (through some non-psych license)

It's funny how before I decided I wanted to become a therapist I would have never thought twice about this stuff and assumed everybody was a psychologist but now that I've been "in the field" for so long I find myself observing ads and websites and noticing these little details.....some people get reeaaly sneaky (not necessarily this case; that's what I'm asking about but I've been seeing a lot of misrepresentation )

Members don't see this ad.

Social or developmental psychologists typically complete a PhD program in their respective specialization. They are, by definition, psychologists. However, this is not the same thing as being a licensed practicing psychologist who completed a PhD that prepares them for clinical licensure.

It is my understanding that if you have an MA in clinical mental health counseling and are licensed as a result of your postgraduate work from that degree, but hold a PhD in political science (for example), it would be unethical to advertise yourself as 'Dr. Such and Such' for clinical services.

If Tom Robbins has a PhD in Developmental Psychology, but is a practicing MFT, then technically, it would not be ethical for him to advertise himself clinically as a doctor (assuming he is not a licensed practicing psychologist as a result of a respecialization track, which would be considered a 'backdoor' psychologist route and questionable by many). However, I am not 100% sure if he is barred from advertising his related education if he is stating that he is a practicing MFT. Maybe another board member has more insight into this.

I hear this.. The question of using PhD is one that I actually asked a while back and I got some good answers. My question now is a little different. I am asking about using the term "psychologist".

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel that if it is legal, it is very confusing to the general public. In a University setting I think it is pretty common for the PhD's to call themselves a social or experimental psychologist, however, in a clinical setting it is very misleading. As you said, before being in the field, you assumed everyone was a psychologist. The average person does not understand the differences between mental health providers and their scopes of practice.

States usually have a stipulation in their licensing code that the term "psychologist" can be used by folks with a doctorate in other (i.e., non-clinical/counseling/school) areas of psychology when used in an academic/research context. However, in the context of delivering clinical services, it's usually disallowed unless the person is licensed.

In this particular example, even though the term is qualified by "developmental," it seems obvious that it's being used in a clinical sense/context (i.e., the person is advertising for clinical service provision), and thus I'd say it's potentially unethical and worth mentioning to a state licensing board. Although there's going to be some variability across states, so who knows, maybe this is legit where this person works.

Last edited:
As AA said, depends on the jurisdiction. In some jurisdictions it is illegal to use the term in a clinical sense if you are not a licensed clinical psychologist. You could check the state licensure body where you saw this and see if he's violating state law.

As AA said, depends on the jurisdiction. In some jurisdictions it is illegal to use the term in a clinical sense if you are not a licensed clinical psychologist. You could check the state licensure body where you saw this and see if he's violating state law.
I think one of the reasons there is a move in APA to identify doctoral clinical and counseling providers as health service psychologists is to help clarify this legitimate confusion. A PhD in developmental psychologist is legitimately a psychologist, but may not be a licensed health service provider. If the subject of the OPs question is a licensed MFT, then they can provide psychotherapy and include on materials that they are a doctoral psychologist--but it DOES confuse the general public no end that these distinctions have not been made clear long ago.