About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

social life while studying for the DAT?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Greenvneck, May 4, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Greenvneck

Greenvneck

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    is it possible to maintain a social life while studying for the DAT? my girlfriend is really hounding me about how her summer is "going to suck" because im studying and its frustrating i thought maybe 2 hrs a night just relaxing with her (its a serious relationship, over 3 years with never breaking up) but i dont want to sacrifice my score and need to take the DAT twice just because my girlfriend is going to be bored :scared:

any advice from those who already took it?
  2. ttpharm

ttpharm

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i went out the from thursday to saturday. studied few hours over the rest of the weekday and sunday. Look at my scores. Don't stop living your life because of a test.
  3. antsrt4

antsrt4

Pre-Medical
    Study study study....put her to to bed(literally) then get back to the books
  4. cdbebeau

cdbebeau Member

Pre-Dental
    tell her to stop complaining, you're the one doing the work
  5. dymm

dymm

Pre-Dental
    "The girl or the world?
    You see someone gotta lose...
    I thought I could have it all...
    Do I really got to choose?" - Drake

haha I'm just kidding. Spending time with your gf a few hours a night, after studying for the day, is definitely doable, imo.

As for myself, my DAT preparation experience = self-imposed solitary confinement for 2 1/2 months. I've always thought that prisoners were weak for not being able to mentally deal with this form of punishment until I myself started feeling a little crazy. Luckily I did have a select few friends that I could just randomly (yet infrequently) kick it with during that time.
  6. MuskieMan33

MuskieMan33

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I definitely see where your coming from (having been in your shoes before), but I would never let a woman get between me and my dreams. Don't let anyone hold you back from where you want to get in life, I wish other people with different goals understood this. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
  7. TheToothsayer

TheToothsayer

I don't think sparing 2 hours every day will significantly hurt your DAT. Make sure you prioritize. If indeed you end up staying with your girlfriend..you don't want to be graduating and NOT in dental school.
  8. sacapuntas

sacapuntas Old Man Invierno Gold Donor

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Quality and not quantity is the best way to balance everything in life. When you spend time with your GF make it count...don't sit around and watch TV. When you spend time studying for the DAT, actively study by challenging yourself to conceptually understand everything and don't just read.

You can easily balance a GF and studying, hell many have balanced a family, working, classes and studying for DAT and most of the successful ones have discovered quality outweighs quantity for many things.
  9. amona

amona

Dentist
    My husband took his DAT a month after our marriage, we spent 5 days for honey moon, and the rest of the days i left him a lone to study. I tried to take care of him by cooking his favorite dishes and providing the right study environment. It was difficult because we were just newly married and i had so much in mind to do. But i will never be an obstacle in his way of success.
    Now this year it is my turn to study and he is doing the same thing to me, (except the cooking part!)
    My point here is not to show off or anything, but seriously, if she loves you she will let you study without complaining. You should give her at least couple of hours a week to hang out. That will not hurt you.

Good luck