Social Workers in a hospital setting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karma101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering a MSW and working in a hospital setting. I don't want to work in a ward but I am pretty much open to all others departments. Can anyone give me any insight if these jobs are available for people with MSW. Or any other advise about how to go about getting a job in this feild of work.

I am completely out of the loop. I grad with BS in Psych about 6 years ago and have not been working in the mental health industry. So I feel pretty overwhelmed with the thought at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

I've worked with SW in hospitals, in-patient, and out-patient settings, and they handled a range of responsibilities. Some did individual therapy (I'm not sure what the licensure requirements are in each state, but they were LCSWs), others did more case management (working with social services, handling continuation of care after discharge, etc), and another did a mix of therapy/case management/psychoeducation.

The training offers a lot of opportunities, though it is important to find a program that fits what you want. Some will be more therapy-based, while others are more administration-based, and there are some that are a good mix of both.