Sociology and Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dboyhaaan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated undergrad this past summer and was thinking of just taking the 2015 MCAT instead of my scheduled 1/13 date for the current one ( haven't started studying). My question is should I retake intro to sociology (took it in 2011, don't remember much) and take a 3 week intensive intro to psych course over the winter? Or should I just review whatever prep material is available for the two subjects? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Presuming you took intro to biology when you were a freshmen or sophomore, your question could be the same as "Should I re-take an accelerate bio class?" - the answer: No.
There are definitely things you learned, or would learn in taking an actual college level class, that will not be covered by the MCAT. Instead, spend your time more efficiently using content review books that only go over the topics you'll need. There are myriad sources by which to do this from including: Khan Academy, test prep companies, https://www.mededportal.org, etc.
No class = no wasted $$$ = no problems. If only, right? But seriously, you'll be ok with the material that's out now coupled with the flood of practice material soon to come.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Presuming you took intro to biology when you were a freshmen or sophomore, your question could be the same as "Should I re-take an accelerate bio class?" - the answer: No.
There are definitely things you learned, or would learn in taking an actual college level class, that will not be covered by the MCAT. Instead, spend your time more efficiently using content review books that only go over the topics you'll need. There are myriad sources by which to do this from including: Khan Academy, test prep companies, https://www.mededportal.org, etc.
No class = no wasted $$$ = no problems. If only, right? But seriously, you'll be ok with the material that's out now coupled with the flood of practice material soon to come.
Thanks for the help I guess it would be wiser to just cover the specific topics rather than waste my time taking a course.

Exactly. Time efficiency is the name of the game when it comes to the MCAT. Even though for the new MCAT you'll have a lot more time to do only a couple more questions per section, you'll still want to maximize your timing on the generally harder questions and minimize it on the easier ones. Same thing goes for studying because we are all on the clock.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user