Soem Advice for New Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlw237

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'll be starting my DPT program @ Chatham Univ. in late August and thought I'd share some insight on the application process and some ways to better your chances of getting in.

GRE: I know 2-3 people who got in pt school with 900-950 GRE scores. However, I know a lot more who had no problems getting in somewhere with their scores over 1100 with all other stats where they should be. 1000 is the minimal requirement for most schools so make sure you put in the time to study (Barrons, Kaplan 500 Vocab Cards, Princeton Review). Take the test seriously and try to get over a 1050. Understand that this test is not so much a test of knowledge, but a test on time managment and test taking. Barrons breaks down every section and shows you how to manipulate each problem to get it down to a 50/50 chance of answering without even knowing what some of the words mean haha *good stuff.

PT observation hours; I had tons of hours (>1000) in outpatient hospital and private settings, but I was told I needed to get some hours in acute care, in patient settings as well. *Big schools like Pitt, Duke, Old Dominion made it a point that this was a weakness in my application. Even though I had a lot of hours it was only in one facet of PT. *When you see 100 hours of observation hours try to make sure you have at least 50 out patient, 50 inpatient. I work for UPMC fulltime and Pitt said my experience was lacking haha, what they meant was it was only in one setting.

GPA: 3.5> is a solid GPA. I haven't heard of anyone I know not get in somewhere with at least a 3.5 and 1000 GRE. Now they might not get into their top schools they did get in to a PT program regardless. Try your best to make sure yours C's are limited for pre reqs. *Pre Reqs are mainly what they look at. *If you have more than 2 maybe 3 C's you should look into retaking the class at a cheap community college. *Competition is tough so a ton of applicants have minimal B's on their resume let alone a C. *I think a D should be retaken, but thats just my opinion.

When to Apply: Early, Early, Early!!!! *If you wait till october, november; half the schools are already interviewing students. *So pick a school you love and apply early decision. *Shoot for labor day weekend. *You can submit your PTCAS without having your GRE scores or Letters of Rec finished they will come in later on.

Schools not on PTCAS; If you are questioning if your stats are good or not. Apply to a school that is not on PTCAS. *You will have less competition and a better chance of getting in. *Most schools on PTCAS have 1000+ applications for 30-50 slots. *Go to APTA website for all the PT schools.

Number to apply to: *ptcas is really cheap and easy to apply to a bunch of schools. Yes 400 is a good investment to apply to 6-7 schools. Especially if u are questioning if you'll get in or not. Trust me u don't want to take a year off because u didn't get in to the two schools u applied to and have to pay back student loans after 6 months. Blahh.

Be realistic: *if your stats aren't going to get u into big top ranked schools. Don't waste time or money on them apply to lesser know school or private. universites. Less competition. Just cause it's nt ranked doesn't mean it's not good.

Visit the schools u want to attend. You'll be suprised how your feelings change once u visit.

Just some advice, don't take it to heart I know its late in the game.
My stats were 3.5 GPA, 1220 GRE, Tons of Hours 1500+, Bach in Kinesiology from Penn State. And I got into Chatham, Maryland Balt, Old Dominion, and Miami. George washinton (applied to all august 15). Rejected from Duke (applied in November) waitlisted by pitt taken off after chatham deposit was sent in. Going to Chatham. so Its difficult but you can get insomewhere best of luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I'm applying for 2012 entry into a PT program. Does that mean I should apply no later than Labor Day 2011? I'm really confused about the overlap of these deadlines. FYI...I will have all my prereqs completed by summer 2011. According to PTCAS.org, July 1, 2011 is when they 2011-2012 application starts, but can I start putting in my undergraduate grades and graduate grades now in order to see what is my combined GPA? I'm so confused! :scared:

That's a great question. If u apply this year 2010-2011 application u are applying to start school either summer 2011 or fall 2011. If u apply next summer 2011-2012 application u are applying to start school summer 2012 or fall 2012 depending on the school. So if u are entering your senior year of college and want to start grad school right after with out taking a year off, apply this year. U will graduate in may 2011 and start class either June 2011 or september 2011.*

Members don't see this ad :)
NATO you'll just hold off till next summer to apply u can't start that app until next summer.

Thank you for the advice.

I've a question: what is acute care setting?

I observe in a rehab department in a hospital, which kind of setting it is??

Dude acute care is the rehab of patients in the hospital. The ones that came right out of surgery (hip replacement, knee replacement, wound care, etc.) You go to their rooms and work on their range of mations and stuff. You've really never heard of it???

Dude acute care is the rehab of patients in the hospital. The ones that came right out of surgery (hip replacement, knee replacement, wound care, etc.) You go to their rooms and work on their range of mations and stuff. You've really never heard of it???

Yes, of course. I just get so confused between acute care and inpatient service. They are pretty much the same thing, right??

:luck:

Yes, of course. I just get so confused between acute care and inpatient service. They are pretty much the same thing, right??

Inpatient includes all settings where PT services are provided within an establishment where patients are staying that is not private residence. Inpatient includes hospital (acute), rehab, skilled nursing facilities, transitional care units, etc. So acute care is one branch of inpatient, but there are other varieties of inpatient that are not acute.

Acute means their just starting the healing process...like 1-7 days post-op or thereabouts. Inpatient means they're basically living there for the time being (spending nights...nursing homes, hospital ICUs, etc.), vs. outpatient where they are visiting. Hospitals often have a separate outpatient department as well as inpatient. Lots of options for PTs, and many bounce around to different locations for pay increases or to try something new.

See. This is where u can get ahead of the other applicants. Start shadowing and observing in areas you are not to familiar with. You'll be suprised as to how eclectic physical therapy can be when it comes to settings. So 90% of applicants are doing just outpatient ortho, so boost your app by seeing if you can observe your local hospital inpatient facility. As a side note most hospitals acute care pt is in with their in-patient department. So don't assume u have to hunt down two departments.

This is why universities want to see u visited multiple settings so u understand pt in not just rehab post op patients. Wait till u witness neuro pt and all that other good stuff. Ahh I love pt haha