sofi/drb vs pslf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoal

Oinker!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know many new attendings are in the same boat as me. I have completed 4 years of payment on my loans while in IBR. My outstanding loan balance is 250,000, with the majority of it at 6.75%.
standard repayment of 2,773/month x 6 years = ~200k. i am currently working for a 501c3 employer.

It appears PSLF repayment is not going to be taxed. So I would come out ~50k ahead or so.

I would be doing a SOFI 1.75 variable 5 year term and plan on paying it off in 3 years.

Any idea if PSLF is going to payout?

Members don't see this ad.

I would expect it to for you. I figure if it gets changed, you'll probably get grandfathered in. I'd make your decision 100% on whether or not you plan to work at a 501(c)3. Be aware there are more choices than SoFi/DRB now:

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/new-players-in-student-loan-refinancing/

I've gotten good feedback on these six and there may be one more coming on line soon.

The biggest question will be whether or not you want to work in a 501(c)3 workplace or not. If you do and know you're going to make a long career of it then great. If you have an interest in community shops remember that your pay will way more than make up for that 50K savings. It really comes down to what your chosen career path will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Guess I'll stick to ibr. The majority of the EDs in my area are unforunately run by the hospital system. So at least at this point in time in could switch and still be 501c3

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk