Solicitation emails from med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EthylMethylMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a school just emailed me today suggesting that I apply to their school's MD/PhD program because of my "fine performance on the MCAT", and they went on to show that my score is above their average by a decent margin. Does getting this email mean I'd have a slightly better chance of landing an interview there if I were to apply, say, today? Just curious if this is a kind of thing that everyone gets or if it actually means something.

Members don't see this ad.

No idea about your chances but I got one as well. Technically, they cannot know much more than your MCAT score, so I doubt that getting the mail is an indication of anything but having an MCAT better than their average.

Members don't see this ad :)
lolol yup, the very same. Guess that answers that. Back to checking my inbox for II's every twenty minutes.
Glad I am not the only one that does that....I get excited every time my phone vibrates ha

Haha, yeah, I got one this morning too...it is in their best interest to get your secondary money :)

ignore it
i got a lovely brochure from rochester telling me to apply
i did and they rejected me preinterview

I got a letter from WashU after I got my MCAT score back encouraging me to apply to the school. I applied to their MSTP this year and was rejected pre-interview.

It's impossible for a school to know how competitive you are just from your MCAT score. MD/PhD programs also want high GPAs and very impressive research experience. And, as I'm finding out this cycle, at least the top 10 schools also expect you to be just as well-rounded as the MD applicants, but with more research.

IMO, a good rule of thumb with a letter encouraging you to apply MSTP is that if you weren't already planning on applying MSTP, don't apply MSTP.

And, as I'm finding out this cycle, at least the top 10 schools also expect you to be just as well-rounded as the MD applicants, but with more research.

Did you expect any different? You're still going through the same 4 MD years as everyone else, so you'll definitely still be evaluated on the MD standards as well as the research for the PhD.

My understanding is that these are robo-emails.

So a school just emailed me today suggesting that I apply to their school's MD/PhD program because of my "fine performance on the MCAT", and they went on to show that my score is above their average by a decent margin. Does getting this email mean I'd have a slightly better chance of landing an interview there if I were to apply, say, today? Just curious if this is a kind of thing that everyone gets or if it actually means something.

Some things just shouldn't advertise. Letters like that were a turn off to me and seem inappropriately manipulative given the emotionally and financially stressful situation of applications. I feel like they prey on applicants who have bad advising and don't know better. :mad:

It's like announcing:
1) "you're so significantly above our average that you wouldn't want to come here"

OR

2) "we're jerks who would be happy to take your application fee even though we know full well it's too late in the season for you to be a successful applicant & conveniently your MCAT is high enough we think we can get away with this under the pretense that we want you b/c you're so awesome"

I get an email almost every day from TrinitySOM telling me not to wait, I can start in JANUARY!

Every time I get an email from Duke-Singapore my heart skips a beat hoping it's an II from their domestic counterpart.

Every time I get an email from Duke-Singapore my heart skips a beat hoping it's an II from their domestic counterpart.

My heart skips a beat....then I remember I never applied to Duke...