Soliciting Advice from those who understand!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulieDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... Bear with me 'cause this is a long one. I was accepted to an out of state program but have decided to defer admission until spring to see if I could get into my state school and/or save money. The difference in final accrued debt is close to $100,000. I currently have a job with my undergrad university as a Limited Term Employee.
The job market where I live is abysmal. I spoke with representatives from my state schools that suggested I retake Physics. (I got a C)
My options are as such:
1. Keep my job, not take classes, try to accumulate savings, but can only work 20 hours a week at a decent pay rate as an LTE.
2. Take Physics over. Keep job, can work as much as I want, but pay goes down a little to student rate. Factor in time needed off for studying.
3. Take a 1 credit fluff class just to keep my job.
4. Try and find something at home in awful job market (I work 45 minutes away from where I live and take the bus every day, so it's about $200 a month)
I just don't know what to do. I've asked my family and they have all given me different opinions. What would you do? (I thought it would be beneficial to ask my fellow future PTs)
Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!:shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

If I understand you correctly, you would prefer to go to the in-state program but you were not accepted and do not feel you can afford the out of state program?

it's really hard to say-on the on hand you are already accepted into a program and could start it but you don't really want to be in that one and you run the risk of not getting into the preferred one and then having to put off starting even further. i was going to be in a similar situation had i not been accepted (thankfully) into my local program.

personally, i think if you want to go to your state school then just take the physics class. it's only one class so you won't need TONS of time off for studying vs when you were an undergrad. this way you will save money by being able to work and also by going to a cheaper program. was that C the only reason you weren't accepted? if there's a chance that you STILL won't get in even after retaking physics, then i might bite the bullet and go with the other program.

What would you have to do to become "in state" for the school that you were accepted to? And what is the job market like in that area? If you can both find work and end up getting reduced tuition costs by moving there early then no question that's what I'd be doing.

Otherwise I'd probably have a serious heart to heart with the admissions department of my in state-school and try to see if acing physics would really make me that much more competitive. Improving your application may increase your odds, but that could only mean you will go from an "absolutely no" to a "might squeak in". Not something I would want to count on.

After all is said and done you also have to ask yourself how much you love this field of work and how far into debt are you willing to go to be a PT. Is there any other line of work that you might find satisfying? If you honestly can say you can't think of other career that you would be happy in then I'd say bite the bullet and just take the acceptance you have. When you come home on a regular basis happy after a great day of work you tend not to mind that you can't afford to go join your friends on a Vegas weekend or that your car is 15 years old and barely in one piece.

BUT... IME very few people actually end up in a career that they love that much. Having a job you only tolerate AND being insanely in debt is not a recipe for happiness.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how it works for grad school, but I changed my residency in undergrad successfully after 1 year so I could file taxes in that state and prove I had been there a year. Look into the school's requirements and specific paperwork needed and then take into consideration that 2/3 of your education could be covered in-state.

Just a thought! Best of luck :)

Thank you for your advice, all! To clarify, this is a private school, so my residency will not matter. I'm leaning towards just retaking the GRE, and if that's not enough, then I guess my destiny lies with the school that accepted me for all the hard work I've already put in. I guess this would be where I belong!:oops:

Exactly...if it's meant to be, it'll happen. Either way, you should be really proud of your acceptance-it'a a great accomplishment!!