Solid numbers, poor ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calpha male

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some advice about my school list. I applied to quite a lot with the mindset that I would rather apply to many one time than have to reapply. I just don't know how much my ECs will hurt me and whether I should apply to more lower tier schools or if I can cut down on them. Thanks in advance.

Stats:
3.91 cGPA, 3.99 sGPA, 40Q

ECs:
Since March, I have been volunteering in the ED in a level 1 trauma center, but that's the extent of my clinical involvement. At the same time, I started doing research at a children's hospital.

3+ years of physics research with paper currently in the review process. I've done a couple posters, a conference, an honors thesis, etc. Nothing crazy though.

Tutoring on campus for about a year now and I just started teaching MCAT classes.

Some involvement in my fraternity too, a couple leadership positions but nothing too noteworthy like president or vp.

School List:
Harvard
Stanford
Johns Hopkins
UCSF
Perelman
Wash U
Yale
Columbia
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
UCLA
Vanderbilt
San Diego
Cornell
University of Pittsburgh
Northwestern
Baylor
NYU
Case Western
University of Virginia
Boston University
USC
University of Rochester
Warren Alpert
Geisel
Irvine
Davis
Cincinnati
Tufts
University of Miami
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Vermont
Jefferson
Virginia Commonwealth
Riverside
Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if I could get some advice about my school list. I applied to quite a lot with the mindset that I would rather apply to many one time than have to reapply. I just don't know how much my ECs will hurt me and whether I should apply to more lower tier schools or if I can cut down on them. Thanks in advance.

Stats:

ECs:
Since March, I have been volunteering in the ED in a level 1 trauma center, but that's the extent of my clinical involvement. At the same time, I started doing research at a children's hospital.

3+ years of physics research with paper currently in the review process. I've done a couple posters, a conference, an honors thesis, etc. Nothing crazy though.

Tutoring on campus for about a year now and I just started teaching MCAT classes.

Some involvement in my fraternity too, a couple leadership positions but nothing too noteworthy like president or vp.

School List:
Harvard
Stanford
Johns Hopkins
UCSF
Perelman
Wash U
Yale
Columbia
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
UCLA
Vanderbilt
San Diego
Cornell
University of Pittsburgh
Northwestern
Baylor
NYU
Case Western
University of Virginia
Boston University
USC
University of Rochester
Warren Alpert
Geisel
Irvine
Davis
Cincinnati
Tufts
University of Miami
University of Vermont
Jefferson
Virginia Commonwealth
Riverside
Rosalind Franklin

So many CA schools, are you a CA resident? What is your UG?

Your GPA/MCAT/Research are all great. I think you have a good shot. During this year, work on getting more volunteer hours and maybe shadowing another doctor. Try to find a local interesting Non-profit to work at. Nothing too big, maybe a few hours a week at a center for refugees or inner city kids ect. Then either mention in it in your secondaries or send an update letter in a few months. I would also bring it up during interviews.

Otherwise, I think you're in great shape. There really is no reason to apply to so many schools. I would cut my list down to 20ish. Apply to your state school(s) + 2 "safety" + 3-5 mid + 10-12 top 25 schools.

You are in great shape for a top 25 school so there is no reason to over do it. Assuming good recs and essays, you should get several interviews.

What I worry about is something I've seen posted here many times by people with outstanding stats like yours. You'll probably get IIs from every school you apply to, and then get wait listed. The problem is that you need to show AdComs your humanistic and altruistic side, because they're not looking for good medical students, they're looking for people who will make good doctors.

If necessary, do a gap year if you're shut out. Contact your local houses of worship to see what kind of volunteer venues they have.

Stats:

ECs:

School List:
Harvard
Stanford
Johns Hopkins
UCSF
Perelman
Wash U
Yale
Columbia
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
UCLA
Vanderbilt
San Diego
Cornell
University of Pittsburgh
Northwestern
Baylor
NYU
Case Western
University of Virginia
Boston University
USC
University of Rochester
Warren Alpert
Geisel
Irvine
Davis
Cincinnati
Tufts
University of Miami
University of Vermont
Jefferson
Virginia Commonwealth
Riverside
Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad :)
So many CA schools, are you a CA resident? What is your UG?

Your GPA/MCAT/Research are all great. I think you have a good shot. During this year, work on getting more volunteer hours and maybe shadowing another doctor. Try to find a local interesting Non-profit to work at. Nothing too big, maybe a few hours a week at a center for refugees or inner city kids ect. Then either mention in it in your secondaries or send an update letter in a few months. I would also bring it up during interviews.

Otherwise, I think you're in great shape. There really is no reason to apply to so many schools. I would cut my list down to 20ish. Apply to your state school(s) + 2 "safety" + 3-5 mid + 10-12 top 25 schools.

You are in great shape for a top 25 school so there is no reason to over do it. Assuming good recs and essays, you should get several interviews.

Yeah I'm from CA and went to a UC for undergrad. It's difficult to get any volunteering in fast enough to put in secondaries since I'm doing those now but yeah I think the update letter might be feasible.

What I worry about is something I've seen posted here many times by people with outstanding stats like yours. You'll probably get IIs from every school you apply to, and then get wait listed. The problem is that you need to show AdComs your humanistic and altruistic side, because they're not looking for good medical students, they're looking for people who will make good doctors.

If necessary, do a gap year if you're shut out. Contact your local houses of worship to see what kind of volunteer venues they have.

You seem rather confident that I will get wait listed. Is this so a school can give me more time to show commitment to serving the community? Or just because I am less qualified? In regards to the med school list, does that mean I should have more on the lower end or do you think they will want more ECs as well and will care even less about numbers?

You'll get into a lot of schools with your stats. Many will not care about your slightly lower than average ECs for a matriculant. Do some stuff now in the meantime and talk about it, otherwise relax.

I'm worried that you'll get wait listed, not confident. I'm basing this on numerous posts there on SDN from people who had really solid numbers, and the theme was the same; lots of interviews, and then lots of wait lists. This has happened at my own school as well, but at least you're starting your volunteering soon.

I think at this point just see how the app cycle goes. In the absolute worst-case scenario, you can always reapply next year with lots more EC under your belt by then.

My gut tells me that the high-end research heavy schools might not care about the ECs so much. I'd sure like to hear from my learned collegues gyngyn and LizzyM.

In any even, so let us know how things turn out; it will serve as a gauge for the future.

You seem rather confident that I will get wait listed. Is this so a school can give me more time to show commitment to serving the community? Or just because I am less qualified? In regards to the med school list, does that mean I should have more on the lower end or do you think they will want more ECs as well and will care even less about numbers?[/QUOTE]

You seem rather confident that I will get wait listed. Is this so a school can give me more time to show commitment to serving the community? Or just because I am less qualified? In regards to the med school list, does that mean I should have more on the lower end or do you think they will want more ECs as well and will care even less about numbers?

Every school gets more overqualified applicants than they can reasonably interview. You are more than "qualified"on stats alone. All of the applicants in your statistical range will be evaluated. The number to be interviewed in this range will vary from school to school. If, in comparison to similarly qualified students, your application "fits" the school's mission you will get an invitation to interview. If you distinguish yourself in person you will be admitted.

Every school gets more overqualified applicants than they can reasonably interview. You are more than "qualified"on stats alone. All of the applicants in your statistical range will be evaluated. The number to be interviewed in this range will vary from school to school. If, in comparison to similarly qualified students, your application "fits" the school's mission you will get an invitation to interview. If you distinguish yourself in person you will be admitted.

I don't know how likely it is that I would fit the mission for a school with my limited ECs. I'm not sure what you think of that. From what I've been reading, it sounds like a lot of schools with a strong mission statement emphasize a humanitarian or integrative approach. With my highly technical background and lack of volunteer work, it's difficult to imagine that a school would consider me a candidate that exemplifies these qualities.

It sounds like I'll just have to volunteer more and interview well, which I already figured. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the insight everyone.