solubility rules memorization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skylark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what kinds of questions can i expect on the DAT that have to do with soubility and also, how did u guys go about memorizing them. I can remember stuff like all salts of alkali metals are water soluble but the ones that have "this is soluble except when with __. ___, and __" how did u guys handle that?

Members don't see this ad.

what kinds of questions can i expect on the DAT that have to do with soubility and also, how did u guys go about memorizing them. I can remember stuff like all salts of alkali metals are water soluble but the ones that have "this is soluble except when with __. ___, and __" how did u guys handle that?
Questions like:

-Which of the following are water soluble (or aren't water soluble)
-Writing net ionic reactions

and anything of this nature.
I personally read over them until I memorized every single one of them.

Theyre not that hard to memorize...Group IA and IIA metals are soluble,
but the ones u usually wanna look out for are the ones with Ag, Ba, Pb...just look it up in your old genchem notes....thats what I did

Has anyone seen questions like these on the actual DAT? From the outline on the ADA website it doesn't seem like these types of ?'s would be asked.

Members don't see this ad :)
Theyre not that hard to memorize...Group IA and IIA metals are soluble,
but the ones u usually wanna look out for are the ones with Ag, Ba, Pb...just look it up in your old genchem notes....thats what I did

Some group II hydroxides aren't soluble, fyi.

Group I salts and nitrate salts, always soluble. Don't think there are even any exceptions to that.

There arent many, and just know what is definitely soluble and u should be able to narrow the answer choice down. All salts except ones dealing with Ba Sr and something else arent so u should be able to pick it out easily.

There arent many, and just know what is definitely soluble and u should be able to narrow the answer choice down. All salts except ones dealing with Ba Sr and something else arent so u should be able to pick it out easily.

I think its Ca right? cause CaCO3 is insoluble

So Ag, Hg, Pb, Ba, Sr, and Ca are gonna precipitate in solution which can help with figuring out net ionic equations because you can eliminate the solid right? Please correct me and add anything that's relevant, I'm sick of studying for today but I learn a lot from reading these threads :)