SOM excerpt - disqualifying medical conditions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biojunky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just saw the SOM excerpt from USUHS med school and all of the medical conditions that can disqualify you as an applicant (At least that's what I think it said). Im somewhat shocked but since it is military medicine, in a way it makes sense. Are there any other schools that have a list of disqualifying medical conditions? Do other schools require a physical examination report from your doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools don't have physical requirements like USUHS, but if you read the addmissions page some say that the applicants must have good communication abilities, sensory and motor coordination... which does not disqualify applicants if you don't posses them.

EN

probably not a good thing to be in medicine if you have "flat feet."

Members don't see this ad :)
Most school probably would not. It is largely due to the military commitment you are making... if you are going to the military take special considerations into the speciality you choose. It is likely that many of the doctors will go into the frontlines and obviously medical conditions would be a huge detriment.

In military institutions, you are a soldier first and whatever else second. If you can't be a soldier, then you're no good to them. ;)

I see. It sounds like the other schools don't have such requirements and don't require a physical either then.
Cool. Thnx guys.
Btw, I think medicine is so broad that so long as you choose your specialty and the settings for your job wisely, you could most likely get away with a heck of a lot of medical conditions.

Most schools have a piece of paper you have to sign saying you can do a list of things. However, they'll make exceptions however they want to. Didn't Hopkins accept a quadriplegic a couple years back?

My own school has a dude on crutches.