Some advice (& encouragement too) would be great

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blacchic856

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
New to sdn. I've read some great advice on other topics and hoping for the same. I've decided I'll like to apply to medical school next cycle. Graduated in 2011 with a B.S. in Health & Exercise Science. Right now I'm taking a bunch of science prereqs I didn't have in undergrad. My initial plan was to go PA since I'm 26 but I know in my heart I won't be satisfied as a PA after a few years in practice.

I'm currently doing a DIY-post bacc via my community college due to finances. They have a strong partnership with a university that has both MD and DO schools so I'm hoping they will be acceptable. In terms of GPA, it's not great. I took 3 art classes post-bacc at the same community college in 2012 for "fun" in which I received 1 F and 2 Cs. These grades aren't anything like my primary transcript, 3.45 overall. But counting them in my overall GPA, it drops it down to a 3.26 but science is higher, 3.57.

Here's the schedule I drew up proceeding forward:
Spring 2015: 4.0
Bio I - A
Chem I -A
A&P I - A

Summer 2015:
Chem II

Fall 2015:
Orgo Chem I
Bio II
Physics I

Spring 2016:
Orgo Chem II
Microbio
Physics II

Summer 2016:
Biochem
MCAT

Am I missing anything? Should I retake those art classes for the schools that honor grade replacement? I can easily get an A in all those courses, I simply stopped attending after mid-semester. If I get a 4.0 in the classes I have scheduled now, my science gpa will be 3.67 but the overall will hover at 3.37.

Outside of the classroom, I have 750 internship hours with Susan G. Komen for the Cure, 2 leadership positions in student organizations (President of one and 1st Vice President of a sorority). I counted these as volunteer experience, both 300 hours each. 8 hours shadowing an OB MD and 6 hours shadowing a PA.

I currently work as a rehab/therapy aide so I have direct patient care experience and should have about 2000 hours by the time of application. Not sure how much that matters to admissions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
New to sdn. I've read some great advice on other topics and hoping for the same. I've decided I'll like to apply to medical school next cycle. Graduated in 2011 with a B.S. in Health & Exercise Science. Right now I'm taking a bunch of science prereqs I didn't have in undergrad. My initial plan was to go PA since I'm 26 but I know in my heart I won't be satisfied as a PA after a few years in practice.

I'm currently doing a DIY-post bacc via my community college due to finances. They have a strong partnership with a university that has both MD and DO schools so I'm hoping they will be acceptable. In terms of GPA, it's not great. I took 3 art classes post-bacc at the same community college in 2012 for "fun" in which I received 1 F and 2 Cs. These grades aren't anything like my primary transcript, 3.45 overall. But counting them in my overall GPA, it drops it down to a 3.26 but science is higher, 3.57.

Bio I - A
Chem I -A
A&P I - A

Summer 2015:
Chem II

Fall 2015:
Orgo Chem I
Bio II
Physics I

Spring 2016:
Orgo Chem II
Microbio
Physics II

Summer 2016:
Biochem
MCAT

Am I missing anything? Should I retake those art classes for the schools that honor grade replacement? I can easily get an A in all those courses, I simply stopped attending after mid-semester. If I get a 4.0 in the classes I have scheduled now, my science gpa will be 3.67 but the overall will hover at 3.37.

Outside of the classroom, I have 750 internship hours with Susan G. Komen for the Cure, 2 leadership positions in student organizations (President of one and 1st Vice President of a sorority). I counted these as volunteer experience, both 300 hours each. 8 hours shadowing an OB MD and 6 hours shadowing a PA.

I currently work as a rehab/therapy aide so I have direct patient care experience and should have about 2000 hours by the time of application. Not sure how much that matters to admissions.
Are you strong in the sciences bcuz that schedule seems rough?

Bio I - A
Chem I -A
A&P I - A

Summer 2015:
Chem II

Fall 2015:
Orgo Chem I
Bio II
Physics I

Spring 2016:
Orgo Chem II
Microbio
Physics II

Summer 2016:
Biochem
MCAT

As above, that's a pretty rough schedule if you're going to be working and trying to do other EC's during it. I would probably not take Microbio, and swap Biochem into that slot. Supposedly the new MCAT focuses a lot on Biochem, so it would be nice to take it before taking the MCAT.

Could you maybe take two classes for summer 2015? If you could squeeze in Bio II and Chem II it would make your life easier. Fall2015 would be orgo/physics/biochem, Spring2016 would be orgo/physics/MCAT prep. Depending on when classes end, have a month to study and then take the May or June MCAT and be complete end of July.

Alternatively, you could do this in 2 years instead of 1. That would make for a much more comfortable experience, allow you to take a lighter schedule, and afford more time for EC's and work. Given your GPA, it's especially important that you crush your class and crush the MCAT... So maybe this is the better plan.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Slow and steady wins the race, especially when trying to get into medical school. I definitely would not plan on taking classes while prepping for the MCAT. Yes, it can be done, but as others have said, you seem to be trying to cram everything in. Take a breath, space stuff out a bit, and you will be happier for it.

Best advice given to me when I was expressing frustrations as a nontrad student: "Don't get so focused on where you want to be that you forget to have fun where you are."

Reactions: 1 users
Are you strong in the sciences bcuz that schedule seems rough?

Just looked at my excel spreadsheet and I 11-A, 3-A-, 1-B+, 4-Bs and 2-Cs (Exercise Physiology and Guidelines to Allied Professions [not sure if this even counts as a science course]). Those 2 Cs were the same semester I found out my mother had recurrent breast cancer. Hoping for mercy on those.

As above, that's a pretty rough schedule if you're going to be working and trying to do other EC's during it. I would probably not take Microbio, and swap Biochem into that slot. Supposedly the new MCAT focuses a lot on Biochem, so it would be nice to take it before taking the MCAT.

Could you maybe take two classes for summer 2015? If you could squeeze in Bio II and Chem II it would make your life easier. Fall2015 would be orgo/physics/biochem, Spring2016 would be orgo/physics/MCAT prep. Depending on when classes end, have a month to study and then take the May or June MCAT and be complete end of July.

Alternatively, you could do this in 2 years instead of 1. That would make for a much more comfortable experience, allow you to take a lighter schedule, and afford more time for EC's and work. Given your GPA, it's especially important that you crush your class and crush the MCAT... So maybe this is the better plan.

My original plan was to take Chem II, Bio II & Microbio as 5 week courses each session this summer. I dropped microbio before classes started to give myself some sort of break before Fall. Unfortunately, the only professor teaching 5-week Chem II was not conducive to my learning style and now I'm in the 15-week Chem II. I'm much more confident and comfortable in this class.

To give background, this past spring was my 1st time taking serious classes since 2011. I worked 6 hour days on non-class days (usually 9-3) and 8 am - 1 pm on class days (in class from 1:30 pm - 9:55 pm). My supervisor is extremely understanding and I do A LOT of studying at work. It's really a laid back job. This Fall, I will only be working 3 days a week, taking off on class days (scheduled 10:50 am - 7:15 pm). Only taking 1 summer class lets me save up to pay down the Fall classes and cut back on my work hours, which relieves a good amount of stress.

Nothing is set in stone. I do need to pace myself! It's a guideline but I also know that really learning the material and 4.0 semesters are all that matters right now.

ETA: Because I'm only taking 1 Summer long class, I'm actively seeking PRN clinical research work. I was told research is very important.

Last edited:
Retaking non-science courses doesn't count for grade replacement under AACOMAS guidelines. this is the only place there the grade replacement comes in, not at the school where you're retaking the courses.

ECs sound good. Your timeline is good, too. Good luck!

Retaking non-science courses doesn't count for grade replacement under AACOMAS guidelines. this is the only place there the grade replacement comes in, not at the school where you're retaking the courses.

Wait what?! If one retakes a non-science course like English or History, it doesn't count for grade replacement?

ECs sound good. Your timeline is good, too. Good luck!

Thank you!

I would probably not take Microbio, and swap Biochem into that slot

I'm pretty sure that BioChem has Orgo II as a prereq, so that wouldn't work.

I'm pretty sure that BioChem has Orgo II as a prereq, so that wouldn't work.

Depends on the school. At my school, you only need to have taken intro bio and chem.

Just checked my old school and they require Orgo II and Molecular Cell Bio as prereqs for Biochem. I won't be attending there.

It seems I calculated my gpa wrong (counted a W) and I currently have a cGPA of 3.35. That is still on the low side and with perfection moving forward can be raised to a 3.46. After checking area schools, its within the accepted students range but still on the left of the median. I think I've got a chance if I perform exceptionally well on MCATs.

Wait...where are you taking Biochemistry? Not at community college, since it's a 300 or 400 level course. If I were you, I'd take a few more 300/400 level courses, such as Biochem II, Genetics, Advanced A&P, Histology, all that good stuff. It will show you can handle upper level courses while also preparing you for med school. Oh and they should be taken at a proper university. I did everything I could at community college then did upper level stuff just to show them I could handle it. I guess it worked because I was accepted.

I'll be taking biochem at Rowan University or Rutgers University - Camden. The first is within 10 minutes of my house, the latter 25 minutes. I do plan on taking higher level science courses like genetics, pathophysiology and pharmacology (if possible) Fall and Spring, whether I'm accepted the next cycle or not. It's been a while since I sat in a 400 level classroom .