Some advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themanthemyththelegend

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know this is probably the wrong place to post this but I would like some advice if anyone has experience with this....

So I signed a one year lease that starts August 1, however, for multiple reasons I signed this lease too prematurely and would like to get out of it. It is a big apartment building that isn't easy to "sublet", so I am not sure if I am screwed and stuck in the lease.

The lease doesnt start for 3 months which would give the landlord plenty of time to find another person to live there, I would even be willing to lose my security deposit and a months rent.

Has anyone had a similar experience to this/any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to get out, just get out. That's why it's called a "security deposit."
When you signed the lease, do you remember the clause that specifies "premature ending of a contract?"

If you want to get out, just get out. That's why it's called a "security deposit."
When you signed the lease, do you remember the clause that specifies "premature ending of a contract?"

RELETTING:
There is no early termination clause in this Lease Agreement. You will be liable for a reletting charge equal to 85% of the highest monthly rent during the lease term up to a maximum of $1,000.00 if you (1) fail to move in or (2) move out without our prior written approval, or (3) are judicially evicted. The reletting charge is not a cancellation fee and does not release you from your obligations under the lease. It is not a release. The reletting charge is not a lease cancellation fee or buyout fee. It is an agreed-to liquidated amount covering only part of our damages, that is, our time, effort, and expense in finding and processing a replacement. These damages are uncertain and difficult to ascertain – particularly those relating to administrative and marketing costs. You agree that the reletting charge is a reasonable estimate of such damages and that the charge is due whether or not our reletting attempts succeed. The reletting charge does not release you from continued liability for future or past-due rent, charges, fees or other sums due under this lease.

21. RELEASE OF RESIDENT. Tenant may have special statutory rights to terminate the Lease early in certain situations involving sexual assault or sexual abuse, family violence or a military deployment or military transfer.

22. CANCELLATION. If written cancellation is received within 72 hours of the date the resident signed this document, the lease will be void without penalties; unless property has received first installment and/or resident has been issued keys.

"X" IS A COMMUNITY IN WHICH IT IS DIFFICULT TO RELEASE OR RELET AN APARTMENT SPACE ONCE YOU HAVE SIGNED THIS LEASE. WE CANNOT PROVIDE ASSURANCES AND WE DO NOT REPRESENT THAT YOUR SPACE WILL BE RELET OR THAT A REPLACEMENT RESIDENT WILL BE FOUND IF YOU FAIL TO TAKE POSSESSION, IF YOU ARE CONTEMPLATING AN EARLY MOVE‐OUT, OR IF THE SPACE IS VACATED FOR ANY OTHER REASON. YOU WILL REMAIN OBLIGATED UNDER THIS LEASE AND WILL NOT BE RELEASED SHOULD YOU VACATE OR FAIL TO TAKE POSSESION SAVE AND EXCEPT AS PROVIDED FOR UNDER PARAGRAPH 22 OF THE LEASE.

So from my understanding is they try to fill it, but do not promise they can? I feel that with 3 months to the date they can probably find someone to live there....... Should I look into special statutory rights to terminate the lease? I have family history of violence within the last year with police records I could use

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask what is the reason you are not willing to fulfill this contract?

May I ask what is the reason you are not willing to fulfill this contract?

Signed the contract too prematurely.... Did not take fully into account the COL (Thought my income next year would be about 10k higher). the place is also more of a dorm style apartment with drunken 20 year olds running around and as a 24-25 yr old this does not sound appealing at all, especially for the price tag on it.

Talk to the landlord and explain your situation. They might be dicks about or they may be helpful. I moved into a place that I absolutely hated and the landlord told me they had a 30 day guarantee which wasn't in the lease. I was able to move out a week later with no penalty.

Talk to the landlord and explain your situation. They might be dicks about or they may be helpful. I moved into a place that I absolutely hated and the landlord told me they had a 30 day guarantee which wasn't in the lease. I was able to move out a week later with no penalty.

I am hoping that they will be understanding since it is 3 months till the move in.... I just don't know the best way to approach the situation but I know that living there will be stretching my $ more than I am comfortable with and I don't see myself being happy there

I am hoping that they will be understanding since it is 3 months till the move in.... I just don't know the best way to approach the situation but I know that living there will be stretching my $ more than I am comfortable with and I don't see myself being happy there
As @Affiche said, you need to speak with the landlord. Be ready to lose the security deposit, and maybe fork out rent for a month. If he is reasonable, he will acquiesce. However, next time be sure to make a better deal and read the small print. All the times I have contracted, I always try to amend the clause because not having a "buy-out" option is extremely risky.
Business has a proverb for this: "The large print giveth... the small print taketh away."

Reactions: 1 user