Some insight, advice, motivation and information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarveyR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there all,

To give you a little background I am a soon to be second year medical Student from Charles University. I am a non-EU.

Last year i could not pass a compulsory subject and I struggled with it a lot so I was not allowed to register for second year naturally and basically was made to go though this whole subject again. It was very painful for me as academically I never really failed and got good if not impressive grades.

I suffered a lot of depression and I still do even much better now. Anyways last year I decided that I would like to learn German while I complete the subject I did not pass and now I have a low B2 level of German. I hope to reach C1 by the end of this academic year.

I have already read a few posts how hard it is for non-EU and I understand that but I would like to still get some insight from you lovely people.

I am mainly interested in USA so naturally I will sit my USMLE step I after my third year, Step II after fourth and fifth year. Clinically school is absolutely bull**** sometimes so inorder to avoid böse überraschung ( nasty surprise) I plan to do fourth months of clinical internship in my own country during the holidays and come back and nag the professors as much as I can to help me out ( some of them are really nice though)

Okay too long sorry, so here is what I want to know.

I will be single and gay ( and I am not into relationships anyway) the thing is I may not have enough money in my last year to directly apply for residency so I will have to take a year to work somewhere else.

I will have Germany and other german speaking countries even though i have got the impression the others aren't so welcoming and ofcourse the UK.

The thing is I have insecurity of my age ( will be a graduate at 28 after 7 frigging years of studying, but legally two years younger ) and I have the choice of either starting F2 from UK or directly specialization from Germany. The latter would cause me to start specialization along with my classmates. I know this is silly being insecure about age but I am also looking for my best options, particularly what is good for me. I know I am not suppose to compare as everyones life is different but the brain and the heart is totally at war.

So considering my situation should I go an apply to Germany and UK both ( probably not Uk again the cost of sitting PLAB), Is germany really that bad for doctors , especially single ones? I plan to apply to residency while I do my job. Going where will be looked favorable upon my Residency application, a non-EU graduate from a EU country who knows about another language of another well developed EU country and practicing there ( basically Asian, who knows English, the asian mother tongue and German + hindi) or UK? Hope this is not confusing XD. I will clarify if you want more explanation.

Also, please let me know is it possible to do all this and attend residency interview when you are working in Germany as a doctor. Why do I feel they are gonna be brutal? The say I have leave for 26 days as per current information.

Anyways, please let me know about your opinion. I am a sincere student( i am just bluffing i procrastinate a lot :p ) and I would like to have your opinions about working condition. Give me both the good and the bad sides. And now. From now on, my journey with SND starts and make new friends and provide help in return to the best of my abilities.

Looking forward to receive replies from users.

Members don't see this ad.

Please move this thread to appropriate section if needed. I am not sure hw this works however please kindly explain the process.