Some Questions about PTCAS/Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taurusgrl326

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some questions that maybe you can help answer because it seems some people can't answer for me. SORRY first since this seems to be a long post... =/

Is it possible to study for MPT and then DPT later? The governor just signed the bill for cal states in CA to be DPT so I was wondering maybe I can study MPT at a cal state and by the time they have a DPT program in a few years maybe I can continue my studies there.

OR in general for any schools if I study MPT first and then DPT, then would it be an extra year since MPT and DPT curriculum seems to be similar except some stuff here and there.

After I e-submit PTCAS:
1. I have anatomy and medical terminology to take still but I don't know which semester and which school I will be able to take it at. PTCAS wants us to put our in progress/planned courses: I know which courses but the problem is when/where. Should I just put it for Spring 2011 at the CC I'm currently taking classes at since I read that PTCAS only lets us change our information once after fall semester until the middle of January?

2. I am going to start volunteering this week for inpatient hours at a hospital and I don't know how many hours I am going to volunteer yet. Do I have to put in the information before I esubmit because when I tried to leave the hours blank and the PT's email address blank (I need to ask for it), it won't let me save it. Also, if I do put in an estimate of hours, would it automatically email the PT or does it only email the PT when I need verification from him? I'm afraid of putting the information down first and PTCAS would email the PT and he would get the wrong idea...

Members don't see this ad.

I'll help you as much as I can -

From what I know you can still get an MPT to begin with and then go somewhere for a tDPT (transition program) later. I've seen a good number of them just while researching schools.
You can still work with a MPT but you may get paid less/have a harder time getting a job since most people probably have DPTs - however, maybe your company would pay for your transition program

I can't really help with the coursework question - I do know that on page 44 of the general instructions PDF on PTCAS they have a list of things you can change after you e-submit (at anytime and just during the academic update) I'm pretty sure you can only update planned coursework during the acedemic update, and I would think you would be able to change where you took the course, but I'm not sure, I haven't had to do this

As for the hours, you have to hit the "send verification" icon after you put all that information in - so unlike the references, it does not automatically send it (not everyone gets their hours verified) so you could just estimate the hours for now- however, once you verify the hours you cant change anything
and as you have seen you cant save it until you have an email address, so you will need that

Is it possible to study for MPT and then DPT later? The governor just signed the bill for cal states in CA to be DPT so I was wondering maybe I can study MPT at a cal state and by the time they have a DPT program in a few years maybe I can continue my studies there.
I doubt you would be able to "continue" from an MPT program into a DPT program if they make the switch while you're enrolled. However, after graduating with an MPT you will then be able to complete a tDPT (transitional dpt) program if you choose. It an abbreviated program that is designed to grant the DPT to already licensed/practicing PT with a bachelors or masters (or certification if any of those are even still around, hah)

1. I have anatomy and medical terminology to take still but I don't know which semester and which school I will be able to take it at. PTCAS wants us to put our in progress/planned courses: I know which courses but the problem is when/where. Should I just put it for Spring 2011 at the CC I'm currently taking classes at since I read that PTCAS only lets us change our information once after fall semester until the middle of January?
My suggestion would only be to make your best guess. I did run into a problem with this. I had planned to take Spring courses at a college I had not previously attended but later changed my mind. During academic update I was not able to delete that school from my application, even though I had not taken any courses there. With that in mind, yes, stating that you will take them at your current cc is probably your best bet.

2. I am going to start volunteering this week for inpatient hours at a hospital and I don't know how many hours I am going to volunteer yet. Do I have to put in the information before I esubmit because when I tried to leave the hours blank and the PT's email address blank (I need to ask for it), it won't let me save it. Also, if I do put in an estimate of hours, would it automatically email the PT or does it only email the PT when I need verification from him? I'm afraid of putting the information down first and PTCAS would email the PT and he would get the wrong idea...
Call the PT (or volunteer office) that you will be volunteering with. Explain that you just wanted to have his contact information and a rough idea of how many hours you will have per week in order to complete your applications. It won't seem odd to them, and you will be on the same page.

My suggestion would only be to make your best guess. I did run into a problem with this. I had planned to take Spring courses at a college I had not previously attended but later changed my mind. During academic update I was not able to delete that school from my application, even though I had not taken any courses there. With that in mind, yes, stating that you will take them at your current cc is probably your best bet.

You said you weren't able to delete the courses even though you didn't take it, did that affect anything at all? You weren't able to update anymore after that one time?

Other than that, I'm going to go with all the suggestions everyone posted. THANKS for the help. Almost last minute stuff always makes me nervous