some quotes from pre medical forum on college confidential

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wlee43

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"CC's veteran posters are wayyyyyy more knowledgeable in my opinion, and they offer advice without the ulterior motives that are all too present on SDN

"Personally, I stay away from SDN at all costs. WOWMom hit the nail on the head when she said "hysteria and hype." The mood there is just a lot different--almost feels desperate, in my opinion"

"maybe it's just the kids at CC are awesome"

what's up with parents and high schoolers bashing this website :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well of course SDN has more hype and hysteria. It also has more great, priceless advice.

SDNs has like 10 times the volume of CC, so its basically going to have more of everything.

It's up to you to sift through the trolls and other crap and recognize the gold when you see it. That principle is not unique to SDN. Welcome to the internet.

Yeah, they sure do have a lot of people who actually know what they're talking about over there on CC. All we have are professional students of all types all the way up to attendings and professors. Who needs that when you can get advice from college freshmen and high schoolers? Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Yeah, they sure do have a lot of people who actually know what they're talking about over there on CC. All we have are professional students of all types all the way up to attendings and professors. Who needs that when you can get advice from college freshmen and high schoolers? Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Don't forget the helpful contribution of helicopter parents.

I've never been on College Confidential, but from the description it sounds exactly like SDN. People who in many cases have no experience giving other ppl advice who do not know the real answer.

I looked at CC once when I was in high school...then realized it had so much wrong information on it that it might keep me OUT of college.

Not to mention that everyone on CC is obsessed with Ivies. Thats where you'll find the parents who pay a college "counselor" 5K to make their kid a perfect application.

CC has tooo many engineers ew.

Haha... that place is hilarious. The funniest part is that it's all these helicopter parents trying to get their lazy kid into some prestigious school when the kid obviously doesn't have what it takes to even apply or find the answers for himself. And then the whole thing repeats itself on their pre-med forum. I mean... com'on people, when will you let your "kid" go?! 18? 22? 35? 10 years after you're dead?!

You guys are pretty high-strung about lots of stuff :laugh: just read some of the "WAMC" threads to see how many people are completely out of touch with reality.

This is a great forum though, and I've gotten tons of great information over the years.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are pretty high-strung about lots of stuff :laugh: just read some of the "WAMC" threads to see how many people are completely out of touch with reality.

This is a great forum though, and I've gotten tons of great information over the years.
SDN WAMC = CC, more or less. The pre-med forums are full of good information if you are wary of posters with pre-med status. But looking back as a neurotic pre-med I bought into some of the BS that's present on here.

College confidential... ugh. Should be more aptly named "Parents Who Want 'My son/daughter went to Ivy' Bumper Stickers"

College Confidential completely sucks. The only thing that ****hole of a website is good for is making intelligent students feel ******ed just because they don't attend an Ivy league school.

That place is freaking scary and nuts. The obsession with ivies is unhealthy.

That place is freaking scary and nuts. The obsession with ivies is unhealthy.

OMG! Don't you know that if you don't get into an Ivy you will probably have to Caribbean or DO? Like I am super cereal.

College Confidential completely sucks. The only thing that ****hole of a website is good for is making intelligent students feel ******ed just because they don't attend an Ivy league school.

Honestly, the only thing I've learned from that place is that the further to the left you are on the bell curve, the more you believe your kid MUST go to an Ivy to be successful. That place has more wannabes than an open American Idol audition in Nashville and New York combined!

The best thing we can claim about SDN is the occasional input from attendings - the people who really know what they're talking about.

The best thing we can claim about SDN is the occasional input from attendings - the people who really know what they're talking about.

For some things. I think the best app help comes from adcoms and students who have been through the process in the last 5ish years.

It seems most of the users on CC are parents. Open any thread and most posts begin with "my D" or "my S".

OMG! Don't you know that if you don't get into an Ivy you will probably have to Caribbean or DO? Like I am super cereal.

Don't lump DOs in with Carribean, bro.

They aren't the same? :confused:

lolwut

Not at all. One grants an MD, leading to acceptances in the most prestigious of residencies. The other does spinal adjustment or something like that.

Not at all. One grants an MD, leading to acceptances in the most prestigious of residencies. The other does spinal adjustment or something like that.
Trolls trolling trolls.

+pad+Also, 2,000. I'm not sure whether to feel proud or ashamed.

Here you go:

[YOUTUBE]9mWa_rBE_wA[/YOUTUBE]

Blatantly stolen from a poster in the pre-osteo forum.

This

(Please tell me you are being sarcastic)

More interesting than any thread on CC:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKdbWwruY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

It took me a while on CC to figure out that "D" stood for daughter. Everytime I read a thread like "what are my D's chances at Harvard med", I thought, gee, these people sure are vulgar.

It took me a while on CC to figure out that "D" stood for daughter. Everytime I read a thread like "what are my D's chances at Harvard med", I thought, gee, these people sure are vulgar.
Resist urge to sign up for CC and respond with...

"Throw some D's on that b****!"

2010-10-04-18-35-32676717658.jpg

Maybe we'd be more reputable if some of us weren't typing with

bigmeatyclaws-thumb.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I used to be a regular poster on the pre-med forums at CC. I would say that the amount of parents in there is just overwhelming. They do have one regular med adcom, an attending or two, and a few medical students (one who is actually a mod here).

The only thing I would say is that most of the experiences there are from their "D" or "S". You will see a lot of personal anecdotes, but nowhere in comparison to the amount of reference anecdotes.

I personally like SDN better just because of the variety of answers and responses you get and the greater amount of information available. The premed forums are quite slow on CC.

I used to be a regular poster on the pre-med forums at CC. I would say that the amount of parents in there is just overwhelming. They do have one regular med adcom, an attending or two, and a few medical students (one who is actually a mod here).

The only thing I would say is that most of the experiences there are from their "D" or "S". You will see a lot of personal anecdotes, but nowhere in comparison to the amount of reference anecdotes.

I personally like SDN better just because of the variety of answers and responses you get and the greater amount of information available. The premed forums are quite slow on CC.

yea he's easy to spot

haha.... nice catch. someone should start a series of (troll) threads (on CC) and post replies assuming this is the person's meaning....

2 things about your signature....1. it reminds me about that song from 2011...by whiz khalifa(?) 2. It hurts my eyes. But then again I haven't had any sleep for at least 2 days.

2 things about your signature....1. it reminds me about that song from 2011...by whiz khalifa(?) 2. It hurts my eyes. But then again I haven't had any sleep for at least 2 days.

Lol, oddly enough, that last part of your comment reminded me of another Wiz Khalifa song...:rolleyes:

LOL. This thread is a joke! It's like 9th graders laughing at middle schoolers for being immature. CC does have involved parents, but so what? They are trying to help their S or D (yeah that naming is weird) into Ivy league schools, which really can change your life. I think since most people here aren't Ivy League, they undervalue it/are jealous.

Some people on there are ridiculous with their "I NEED HARVARD BUT HAVE A 3.0", but so are people on here with their dreams vs. reality. There is good advice on both sites, and bad advice on both sides. Both users are 4 years older, too. It's really stupid to think we are superior...

"CC's veteran posters are wayyyyyy more knowledgeable in my opinion, and they offer advice without the ulterior motives that are all too present on SDN"

CC is a farce and everyone knows it. Some of the things they write give me peptic ulcers. (OP: "so def, is a 920 a good score on the sat?" Poster: "ya bro u should be aight")

I'm not 4 years older, though, I'm a HS senior. :laugh:

And you thought SDN was a gunner territory....
CC is a gunner country.