Some Trivial Questions About Attire and Skype

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grenth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To preface I have studiously used the search function and looked at quite a few old threads on these questions. However, I want the most up to date info as some threads date to my junior high days and psych specific info as many of the threads I found pertained to medical or dental school.

First, as a female interviewing for clinical and counseling programs is it important (would I look out of place) if I wore gray suit pants and a black blazer instead of a full suit? The med school applicants on SDN seem to think you would look like a rube in anything less than a navy or charcoal tailored full suit. I'm trying to keep costs down as I have already spent about a $1000 on applying and I have a required in person interview that will probably cost me about $400. I am willing to spend the money on a full suit though to not feel uncomfortable if that is what the majority of females wear.

Second, I got an interview invite for a student Q&A and a social on a Sunday and an all day in person interview the next day. The invite said they would do Skype interview and that it would not affect one's status to interview via Skype but I feel nervous about Skyping when they have such an involved in-person process. If you were me would you spend the $400 to fly and interview or would you risk the Skype?

Any input would be really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

IMO-the gray/black combo should be fine. It sounds like you're aiming to be professionally-dressed, which is the main goal. 'Business casual' is not recommended b/c others will be suited up (this is the first and last time to leave a strong first impression, yes?). Look the best you can with what you can afford. After all, no one is expecting you to wear Annie Klein suits and Louboutins...that'll come later for internship interviews and your dissertation defense. ;)(just kidding...I won't be able to rationalize spending $800 on one pair of shoes...for a long time, if ever. No offense to anyone who does.)

If you really need to save $$$, do skype. But if you LOVE this program, fork out the $400 and. Travel there for all they have to offer. Otherwise, accept Skype, choose nice, quiet place and dress well for the Skype interview and don't second guess yourself after you make the decision b/c your going to want to appear confident during your interview and any indecision may affect your overall interview permformance.

Good luck! :luck:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Regarding skype, I would only do it if you have a lot of other interviews and this school is more of a back up. When I applied, I ended up with way more interviews than I thought I would. I ended up having conflicts, so I opted for a phone interview at one of the schools that I was less interested in. When I got on the phone, I was informed that they had made all their first round offers before they even conducted the phone interviews! So, just because skype is offered, it doesn't mean that it is viewed as equivalent.

This is not to mention that skype really limits your opportunity to get a feel for the school.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Suit pants and a blazer is appropriate for an interview because it is professional attire. Many of the other applicants will have lean budgets as well and may or may not be able to spring for a tailored suit. I certainly don't own a suit and do not have the funds for one. For my interviews I'm opting for a skirt and blazer combo and honestly, that's more "me" anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
If I had a Skype interview I'd totally wear no pants.

People tell me they dress like they would anyways just to be in the right mindset. Seems reasonable although I wouldn't worry about socks and stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all the feedback. You guys are like the ego to my id's desire to be cheap and my super-ego's desire to be "the perfect candidate". I think I'll save money by wearing the clothes already I own and spring for the travel because that school is in my top three.

Also if you have friends or relatives that are close in size ask if they might have something for you to borrow. This didn't occur to me until I was telling a friend about my upcoming interviews and she asked me if I had a "real" winter coat, not a "California winter" coat lol. She thinks she has one that will fit me which is good because I don't have the funds to purchase one at this time.

Also if you have friends or relatives that are close in size ask if they might have something for you to borrow. This didn't occur to me until I was telling a friend about my upcoming interviews and she asked me if I had a "real" winter coat, not a "California winter" coat lol. She thinks she has one that will fit me which is good because I don't have the funds to purchase one at this time.
That's a great idea. I have several sisters close to me in size and they may have some things.

Another trivial question about attire: I have a pair of black flats and a pair of black ankle boots. Does it matter which I wear? I didn't know if ankle boots aren't professional enough. They're suede and pretty nice, but I will stick to flats if that is the norm for grad school interviews. Thanks for any guidance! Sorry to be an anxious applicant

Last edited:
If I had a Skype interview I'd totally wear no pants.

People tell me they dress like they would anyways just to be in the right mindset. Seems reasonable although I wouldn't worry about socks and stuff.
You beat me to the no pants comment. :D
Seriously though, I don't think too many psychologists wear suits these days. I personally haven't worn a suit since the 80's unless you count the rented tux at weddings. This might be different in the stuffy old East, but out here in the West it gets more casual every day.

Wear whatever makes you feel and look the most professional, while also feeling comfortable. When I was interviewing for internship, I drug around these awesome 'power heels' in my bag, and ended up not wearing them because I did not feel as powerful as my heels would make me look. So I went into the interview with modest flats. No biggie. They still asked the tough questions and I still feel the interview went well.

Another trivia question about attire: I have a pair of black flats and a pair of black ankle boots. Does it matter which I wear? I didn't know if ankle boots aren't professional enough. They're suede and pretty nice, but I will stick to flats if that is the norm for grad school interviews. Thanks for any guidance! Sorry to be an anxious applicant

It's doubtful that something as small as shoe choice (between flats and boots) is going to be the deciding factor or even a factor. I mean, if someone wore ratty sneakers I might think "this person doesn't care enough to look professional" and that would be a problem, but flats versus angle boots? Doesn't matter to me. I'm trying to get to know a person to decide if they are someone I want to work with for the next 5+ years, so shoes aren't the major consideration.

Unless the person is my size.

Now that I'm at my interview, I do see what a silly question that was. thanks for the input!