some would call it a miracle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

that dr. jack

Captain Bringdown
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my acceptance at COMP. I never thought I'd get accepted period, much less have a choice. I've got until friday to decide between TUCOM and COMP.

So, all you kids currently applying and hoping to god you'll get in, I wish you the most luck. Don't worry, and for god's sake, don't take the overbearing advice of anyone else.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on the acceptances!! :clap: :clap: why was it such a miracle? were your grades and mcats low or was there something else going on that made you think you wouldn't get acepted?

Congrats. Go to COMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by sistahnik
congrats on the acceptances!! :clap: :clap: why was it such a miracle? were your grades and mcats low or was there something else going on that made you think you wouldn't get acepted?

My grades and mcat were not so good, and I had a downward grade trend while I was doing all my pre-reqs as a postbacc. But they asked me about it at COMP, and I had pointed out very clearly the nature and hours of my current career, so I guess they understood.

This sounds so cliched, but I guess I see it as a miracle because I really didn't think I had a shot in hell. I'm not brilliantly intelligent, nor do I come from a "good" family where they push their children into doing challenging things in life. I didn't go to a prestigious school or have any groundbreaking research and leadership opportunites. I was born out of wedlock to two drug addicts and raised by my grandparents, so I expected a very different life. I'm kind of the only person in my family who has gotten this far in anything, and it's weird.

The process is so random, and I know so many people who were disappointed year after year. I decided to apply one year, balls out, and it paid off. I still can't believe how fortunate I am to have this chance.

Congratulations!! You're going to do great no matter where you go. Best of luck! :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by that dr. jack
My grades and mcat were not so good, and I had a downward grade trend while I was doing all my pre-reqs as a postbacc. But they asked me about it at COMP, and I had pointed out very clearly the nature and hours of my current career, so I guess they understood.

This sounds so cliched, but I guess I see it as a miracle because I really didn't think I had a shot in hell. I'm not brilliantly intelligent, nor do I come from a "good" family where they push their children into doing challenging things in life. I didn't go to a prestigious school or have any groundbreaking research and leadership opportunites. I was born out of wedlock to two drug addicts and raised by my grandparents, so I expected a very different life. I'm kind of the only person in my family who has gotten this far in anything, and it's weird.

The process is so random, and I know so many people who were disappointed year after year. I decided to apply one year, balls out, and it paid off. I still can't believe how fortunate I am to have this chance.

In all your posts you have come across with maturity and humility. You will make a great addition to either COMP or TUCOM (of course, selfishly I want you to come to TUCOM because you seem so cool!), both are great schools. Good luck with your decision and congrats on the first step of becoming a physician.

Tiffany

that Dr. Jack, I agree with elysium. I get the impression that you are very mature and have a great deal of humility, which is probably what the adcoms felt in your personal essays and at the interviews. you will become a fine and caring doctor. you never know who has been in the same situation growing up as you did. I have a similar background and I wasn't expected to have the goals in life that I have. but it doesn't matter where you come from, when you set goals and expectations for yourself, you are bound to succeed. again congrats and best of luck!!! :clap: :clap:

Congrats, doctor.

Anyone who's a fan of such a fitting Catherine Wheel lyric surely deserves their shot. You're an inspiration to this semi-slacker.

Originally posted by Febrifuge
Congrats, doctor.

Anyone who's a fan of such a fitting Catherine Wheel lyric surely deserves their shot. You're an inspiration to this semi-slacker.

Yeah, it was either that or:

there's more to life than bit&%es, weed and mercedes- master P

Thanks for the support and I am very impressed that you got the quote. CW is one of my all-time favorite bands, and I personally promise to somehow find a way to use my power as a physician to rape rob dickinson.

....and I totally want to thank all of you for being so effing rad. I'm on my hiptop, in my 11th hour here at work (no end in sight), and you guys have totally made my day.

Congrats that dr. jack! You'll do great!

bump

Just wanted to add my story, because I'm also in the miracle category. 3.0 CGPA, 2.75 SGPA, as a Bio and English double major -- the only thing I had going for me was my MCAT, 32O (11, 10, 11). Did the Georgetown SMP, only got a 3.2, but I just got in at NYCOM. :D It's definitely possible to make up for a bad past, although I may have the lowest GPA of anyone from my undergrad who got into a US school. :p

Any other miracles this year?

:clap: Good job dr. jack. Good luck with your decision!

Nice work Dr. Jack! Kudos to you! Have a great holiday. You deserve it!

Congrats! But WTF is Hollywood Upstairs????