Someone please hold my hand and guide me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fdsa2495

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm meeting with a psychiatrist next week because I want to rip my brain apart. I'm the worst person to ask when it comes to decision making and I am so pessimistic let's not go into detail.

Enough about my stress as a pre-med but I can't decide whether or not to take a gap year. Yes, I am aware there are multiple threads on this but I still wish to post because I cant relate exactly to them.

Here are my two options:

1) I apply this cycle. I am currently a 3rd year taking 18 units, and working part-time (24 hrs/week) and volunteering for a few hours per week. My gpa is 3.9, and I have more than 3 years of clinical experience, which does not include any shadowing only inpatient care. I have not taken the MCAT but plan to in May if I choose this option. I am trying to study for the MCAT in between my classes (not really working out). I have started on my personal statement and I have decided on whom to ask for letters of recommendation. I have around 2 years of computational biology research and inpendent study hours for this research. I do have extracurriculars in 3 clubs, VP of 2 and President of 1 (and co-founder).

2) I take a gap year. I will graduate on time and continue research work. This summer probably do an internship (I have applied but still have heard back from any internships). During gap year, I plan to work more at a hospital and possibly gain shadowing experience. Also, I have just started on a paper right now so it might be published by then. Alongwith my part-time job, I could also TA for some classes during the gap year because I love teaching. If I were to take a gap year, I would study for the MCAT over this summer aongwith the internship and take the test in August. Retake in Jan. 2017 if required.

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE FROM ADCOMS, GAP YEAR STUDENTS, NON-GAP YEARS, PEOPLE APPLYING THIS CYCLE ETC.
Again, I am seeing a psychiatrist because I don't know what's right for me and I know this is a decision that I must make for myself but I just need opinions from others and see what I am missing that might help me make a decision.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go for the gap year if you are not confident that you can take the test in may and want to build up your app more. Better to wait a year and have a stronger app than having to reapply if anything goes wrong.

Reactions: 4 users
Take a gap year or two. Med school is going nowhere - and 1 or 2 yrs is not going to make that huge of a difference in the face of med school+residency+/- fellowship

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You sound really burned out. For that reason alone, take the gap year.

But also having more focused time to study for the MCAT will help you. And gap years are the best. :)

Edit: But ask your professors sooner rather than later (i.e. while you are still fresh in their brains). They can always save the letter for next year.

Reactions: 1 users
"I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE FROM ADCOMS, GAP YEAR STUDENTS, NON-GAP YEARS, PEOPLE APPLYING THIS CYCLE ETC."

AKA, "anyone's advice will do"

But seriously OP as the others have said, calm yoself and take the gap year. Good research good stats

You probably don't need a gap year, but if you want to maximize your chances (and give yourself some time to decompress), I would recommend one.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with what others are saying on taking a gap year. I was pretty frustrated with myself when I decided to take the gap year due to just not being ready to apply early with a strong app, but I've now realized that it was the best decision I could make because now I have so much time to make sure my PS has been read by multiple people, prepare for interviews, get more EC's and boosting my gpa, and just enjoy life without being frantically rushing everything in for med school. Go enjoy your gap year!

currently in my gap year and love it. I think this has been the best year of my life lol. I'm making money and have some time to relax, see friends and family, and travel before starting school.

It also makes secondary writing easier because you have more time, and interviewing easier since youre not a student!

Take a gap year. You've done a good job to get yourself in this position. Make sure you only have to take the MCAT once and apply once.

Also, I think gap years are good. Gives you a little time off school. Can focus on your app and doing other things you enjoy. Its one of those things that will suck for a little bit because you'll be thinking about how your a year behind blah blah blah. But in the long run you will appreciate it. Everyone does.

Also, just a word of advice. Try to relax, do things you enjoy to make yourself happy. When you have difficult decisions, just try to break them down analytically and make the best decision you can. And most importantly, know that in the end, whatever decision you make will be the right one because you will make it work with your life. Theres very few decisions in your life you will truly regret...and this is certainly not one of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Take the gap year. I studied for the MCAT during the year, but I treated it like a class and you are already in 18 units. The plan that you have for your gap year will only make your application better and you will have time to get everything ready for a great application. Try to get your LORs lined up before you leave school and enjoy the small break.

Why are you meeting with a psychiatrist? Maybe you should hold off applying until you get yourself together emotionally and physically . The whole application process just might do you in. Take care of yourself first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. I don't think I've ever seen SDN answer quite so unanimously. There is always some crank (often me) who just has to give a contrarian opinion.

Not this time, though. Take the gap year. Try to fit some time in it for pleasure, and being young. Read classic literature, go hiking in a national forest, play a 24 hour xbox marathon, some ridiculous fun things that are meaningful to you and have nothing whatsoever to do with your career goals. You will be better for it, and not just as an applicant.

"I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE FROM ADCOMS, GAP YEAR STUDENTS, NON-GAP YEARS, PEOPLE APPLYING THIS CYCLE ETC."

AKA, "anyone's advice will do"

But seriously OP as the others have said, calm yoself and take the gap year. Good research good stats

LOL I don't know what I was thinking at the time

Why are you meeting with a psychiatrist? Maybe you should hold off applying until you get yourself together emotionally and physically . The whole application process just might do you in. Take care of yourself first.

Anxiety, maybe? I really don't know, I'm just extremely stressed out. I don't want to waste an entire year but then I want to get into a good school. But I think I'm going to go for the gap year because I really want to do an MD/PhD.

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it. I just kept worrying that I might be too old, or loose motivation. But then again, I don't feel ready to apply either. So possibly gap year:)

Well MD/PhD is reason enough. Do productive research during your gap year. You are up against stiff competition and you don't want to be at any disadvantage.

Anxiety, maybe? I really don't know, I'm just extremely stressed out. I don't want to waste an entire year but then I want to get into a good school. But I think I'm going to go for the gap year because I really want to do an MD/PhD.

I took a couple yrs off before med school and I'm not at any huge disadvantage.

You won't be at a disadvantage. Won't be too old (no such thing), etc.

Learn to handle stress though. Its not a magic trick. Life will only get more stressful when your working, kids, big time bills, buying houses, loans. Its all about how you handle these things and make yourself happy.

Define "good school"? Any US Allopathic school will give you a comprehensive medical education. If you do want to go into an MD/PhD program those notorious research rankings are more important. In the latter case, I would suggest a gap year because you're going to need extra time to get a highly competitive MCAT score (think 95%+) and more research experience. I also think the gap year would help clear your mind for the seemingly never ending journey of medicine.

I am currently studying for the MCAT and I would say that, if you are having problems with your mental health at the moment, then taking the MCAT in May is a bit short notice, especially since it's right before applying

Take the GAP year. I wish you best of luck :)

It's absolutely not a "waste of a year." Currently in my gap year; I've been accepted to multiple schools and couldn't be happier. I have time to chill out, hang out with friends and family, make art, and read what I want. It was also great for my applications; I had more time to write and perfect every element of it. Medical school is a ton of work, and having had time to decompress this year has been absolutely invaluable for my health, both mental and physical. I've been getting back into shape, volunteering, and teaching subjects that I enjoy (for work). Go for it, and relax! You're going to be fine, but going into med school directly (taking into account your current stress/anxiety level) is not a good idea. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Best of luck!

worrying that I might be too old

:lol: however, on a serious note ... :lol: I'm 51. One might say I took a gap generation (or 2). Don't be me and don't put in a rushed app.

Reactions: 4 users
The fact that this decision is making you want to rip your brain apart (even if you're just being dramatic) makes me think a gap year would do you good. Making your application as strong as possible is one good reason. The other is that you will absolutely need to have your mental health together. Even people with no history of any such issues can struggle mightily in med school and beyond.

Reactions: 3 users
100% agree with my learned colleague on this one. OP, med school is a furnace and I've seen it break even healthy students. Go into this only once you're healed.

The #1 cause of my students' failing out, being dismissed or withdrawing from our program is due to mental health issues.

The fact that this decision is making you want to rip your brain apart (even if you're just being dramatic) makes me think a gap year would do you good. Making your application as strong as possible is one good reason. The other is that you will absolutely need to have your mental health together. Even people with no history of any such issues can struggle mightily in med school and beyond.

100% agree with my learned colleague on this one. OP, med school is a furnace and I've seen it break even healthy students. Go into this only once you're healed.

The #1 cause of my students' failing out, being dismissed or withdrawing from our program is due to mental health issues.

It only gets worse. My parents are both physicians and they said residency was much more torturous than med school.

Take the gap year. I was also extremely stressed about this decision at this point of last year with an MCAT coming in May. I ended up moving my MCAT to July so I wouldn't have to study on top of work and class and volunteering and it worked out well. I would highly recommend giving yourself some room to breathe. I ended up happy with my July MCAT score and am not sure I would have been if I had gone ahead with it in May. I was briefly disappointed in myself for not getting it all done in my initial "plan" but I am so glad things played out this way. I can't imagine having applied last year when I was so stressed, and now I'm really looking forward to the upcoming application cycle. Best of luck and remember there's no "right" way to go about this. Just apply when you feel you can put the best application and your best self forward.

Take the gap year for all the reasons you've thought about, plus give yourself time to develop better stress reducers. The stress is only going to go up from here, and hearing someone who will potentially one day be responsible for my medical care say "I'm the worst person to ask when it comes to decision making and I am so pessimistic let's not go into detail," methinks you need some time to get this sorted out before actually starting med school. Good luck!

I was in the same boat as you and I ended up taking a gap year. It was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made. Gave me time to do things slowly, find what I liked, and reduced stress. Moreover, the avg med student hovers around 24-25 so even if ur taking a gap year you will still be below the average age of med students. Why worry? If all your friends are applying then let them. Find the path thats best for you!

Do it once, do it right the first time.

Take the gap year, they're actually really fun.

lol thought the same and took gap year. Wish I had pushed myself to take the mcat and just applied. Make sure you know why you are doing your gap. Stress alone is not a good reason.

lol thought the same and took gap year. Wish I had pushed myself to take the mcat and just applied. Make sure you know why you are doing your gap. Stress alone is not a good reason.

Why did you wish you had just applied?

Why did you wish you had just applied?
Well I didn't need an smp, and if I had planned it better, I would have completed courses earlier and taken mcat over summer before senior year or spring of senior year. Of course then if I took this route I still would have taken gap time off in btw but I would not have taken 2-3 extra years like what I ended up doing. I have lost motivation and direction over these extra years of "finding myself". I would have rather wanted to be a med student living far from family than living close by. But tht just the way I think. I don't necessarily like to surround myself w/ comfort, I tend to get lazy and unproductive which is how this current gap year has gone. I also tend to find employment really hard to come by not because I am not qualified (well partly yes for the jobs I want) but also because when employers ask how many years you will commit and what are your future plans, I always am honest about that (not that honest to imply I'll ditch you guys asap which is usually done by saying 'I am applying to med school' but I make the journey in delivering my words with previous activities. Overall, I've come upon petty job offers or job environments where I am just unhappy. Where I am happy, I get no pay. I am thankful for the lessons I've learned so far and will never forget them but I can't help but think that all the mud in my face could have been avoided (who knows where I would have needed this patience to tolerate in the future lol).

Last edited: