Someone should explain the features of a class II Amalgam Cavity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osahon7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any help will be appreciated please! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what you're asking. Are you asking about the prep design?

Members don't see this ad :)
90 degree cavosurface margins, axial wall following the contour of the tooth, flat pulpal and gingival floor, converging buccal and lingual walls, broken contact on buccal/lingual/gingival walls of the proximal box. add retentive grooves if needed.
Include a reverse S curve to the buccal by the proximal box and a dovetail on the occlusal portion of the preparation that does not extend over the marginal ridge.

Reactions: 2 users
At our school we learned parallel buccal and lingual walls as opposed to converging. I have heard both ways taught. For the most part a moot point as the last amalgam preparation I did was for boards.

This is the class 2 guide we're taught in preclinic from our operative professor: http://ccnmtl.columbia.edu/projects/virtechs2006/pdfs/opclass2prephandout.pdf

I think it goes over every detail you can think of. My dentist cousin read it and laughed, it's much easier in real patients than this makes it out to be.
Thank You for your reply!! Can you as well share me a Pdf file for Cavity Preparation For a Gold Restoration! A need a Theoretical Approach!! Thans