Someone tell me if I'm wasting time this summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luke587

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My advisor tells me i need to retake a couple classes so I'm going to list the ones I've done and the grades I've gotten.

General Chemistry 1: B
General Chemistry 2: B-
General Bio I: B+
General Bio II: B
Anatomy: A-
Physiology: A
Calculus: A+
Organic I: A-
Organic II: A-
Statistics: A+
Organic Lab: A

So she says i need to retake Chemistry II, but why??? I honestly don't want to and think i've proven I'm better than what my first year grades indicate, what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Keep the B its not worth retaking.

Agree with ^

It was first year, and a B- isn't great, but it's not terrible either. You've since gotten A's in upper level classes that prove you can put in the time/effort required to excel. BTW: Nice job with the upward trend. That's what ADCOMs will be looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not retake any of those classes.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

If you don't want to, don't do it. Ultimately, is your decision not your advisors'

I got a b- in a chemistry class early on...you will be fine. I didn't know they gave out A+ at college level. My school just has A or A-

What, no C's??? You're fine. No need to retake any of those classes.

Yeah, definitely don't retake. The fact that you got A's in Orgo pretty much negates the B's you got in Gen Chem. Use that time to shadow, volunteer, or do research.

Definitely don't retake anything higher than a C. If you retake a B and get an A, my reaction would be, "Great, so you went up one letter grade after learning the material twice. Have a cookie?"

Thanks for the replies guys. A+'s are given out at my university to maybe 5-8 kids out a class of 300. I got a 102% in calculus because of an extra credit question on the final and i got a 100% in statistics, I like math but somehow sucked at general chemistry weird right? Anyways i emailed my advisor and told her i wasn't retaking chemistry II and she suggested physical chemistry which applies calculus and i would be able to get a minor but I'm thinking screw it and I'm going to do research instead and finish a couple gen ads at my community college this summer. Thanks for the advice.

I highly recommend against retaking the classes you listed. You can do better things (like shadowing or researching) with time given in summer rather than potentially increasing the GPA by 0.05.

she suggested physical chemistry which applies calculus and i would be able to get a minor but I'm thinking screw it ...

Good thinking. Physical chem is the killer of many a GPA and it's not worth the minor if you aren't genuinely interested in the material.
Nice work on orgo, too. :cool: