Soon to be veteran introduction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camtheman77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, my name is anthony and I am currently a solider deployed to Afghanistan. I am 21 years old and will be getting out of the army on or before july 2015. I made the decision to pursue the path of being a MD after my experience with medicine as a combat medic. Current gameplan is to move to San Antonio TX, and use my post 9/11 to pay my way through undergrad. From there im planning on relying on student loans to pay for actual Med School. I would like to go to UTSA for undergrad and Med School, but we all know that what is certain today is cloudy tomorrow. I plan on pursing EM as my specialty. Everyone always says " Oh your specialty will change" but I am sure it will not. I love everything about EM. Anyways, hello to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Many thanks for your service to our country! Hooahh!

Hey there, my name is anthony and I am currently a solider deployed to Afghanistan. I am 21 years old and will be getting out of the army on or before july 2015. I made the decision to pursue the path of being a MD after my experience with medicine as a combat medic. Current gameplan is to move to San Antonio TX, and use my post 9/11 to pay my way through undergrad. From there im planning on relying on student loans to pay for actual Med School. I would like to go to UTSA for undergrad and Med School, but we all know that what is certain today is cloudy tomorrow. I plan on pursing EM as my specialty. Everyone always says " Oh your specialty will change" but I am sure it will not. I love everything about EM. Anyways, hello to all!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your service. Much respect.

Sounds like you have a great plan. Good luck.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I'm in the same boat. Will ETS in August after 10+ yrs of service. My goal is to do EM ( experience as a combat Corpsman) or Urology ( trained as urology tech) but I have an open mind to hopefully learn and experience new things. Cannot wait! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Did you enlist from Texas or list your Home of Record as Texas? If so you may be eligible for the Hazelwood act.

Howdy! I am prior military medic (although not combat) too. I separated and used my GI Bill, graduated, and I am currently in the application cycle right now. If you need any help or advice with anything, I would love to be of help to you! Welcome =]

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks @DrOMG I definitely will. I unfortunately am not from texas, and as a then proud cali resident but my HOR f3om there :( sad day

Thanks @DrOMG I definitely will. I unfortunately am not from texas, and as a then proud cali resident but my HOR f3om there :( sad day

I am a FL resident but my wife wants to move near her family in CA. It will take me a yr before I'm consider for in-state tuition. California tuition is really expensive for OOS but hopefully I can navigate successfully the VA benefits and the FAFSA loan!

Fellow vet here. You're probably better off paying your way through undergrad then using the GI Bill to pay for medical school. You'll end up with less debt.

I think it comes out to the same because the max payment for GI BILL is round ~19k and med schools are 30k+ a yr. So either way I will have debt, but I will do the numbers. Thanks!

I think it comes out to the same because the max payment for GI BILL is round ~19k and med schools are 30k+ a yr. So either way I will have debt, but I will do the numbers. Thanks!

Max payment for GI bill for a state medical school of which you are a resident of that state is 100% of tuition. That can add up to a a lot more than 18K depending on the state.

Max payment for GI bill for a state medical school of which you are a resident of that state is 100% of tuition. That can add up to a a lot more than 18K depending on the state.

That's what I was thinking. Since MS is much more expensive than undergrad, if Uncle Sam will pay for one, better to have it be MS.

You are correct sir, I never thought about it that way. Here is the link:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/resources/benefits_resources/rates/ch33/ch33rates080114.asp

The only thing is that the options for medical school will be significantly smaller. ONLY IN-STATE PUBLIC MEDICAL SCHOOLS. Also, I will need to figure out how to take care of the family and bills during undergrad. PRIVATE LOANS?!

We'll see... Thanks for the advice and I will reassess the plan and come up with a solution.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are correct sir, I never thought about it that way. Here is the link:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/resources/benefits_resources/rates/ch33/ch33rates080114.asp

The only thing is that the options for medical school will be significantly smaller. ONLY IN-STATE PUBLIC MEDICAL SCHOOLS. Also, I will need to figure out how to take care of the family and bills during undergrad. PRIVATE LOANS?!

We'll see... Thanks for the advice and I will reassess the plan and come up with a solution.

It's ma,am. I got my undergrad before I joined the Army so I started using the GI bill. The only downside is it may run out before you finish school as medical school lasts a bit longer than undergrad. I applied for vocational rehabilitation last year and I got accepted. That doesn't run and works pretty much same.

GI bill only covers 36 months of tuition, so the way I look at it is I can sprint through undergrad. I rather be established comfortably, with a degree rather than relying on loaning it though undergrad. Plus I am moving to Texas, so Med School is much cheaper there. Plus, it gives time for my significant other to finish her degree while we are living comfortably off my GI Bill. Thats just my prespective. I even thought about attending ushus, or applying for HPSP, but after venturing over to the military med section, alongside my personal experiences with the army, I think I would rather get hit by a bus lol.

@xffan624 - Sorry for the confusion

@camtheman77,

That's what I was thinking, at this time undergrad is the #1 priority bc if I don't do good I won't even have the opportunity to apply to med school. My wife is also a veteran and will be going to college full time so with both GI BILLS we should be stress free for the next 3 yrs. Also, I will apply to Voc. Rehab when times comes (30%+ disability) and the Cal Fee Waiver Program after I become resident in a yr. So if everything works as plan we should be good.

Good luck to you all!

I just learned about Texas in my final out brief and the counselor said that you will have to use all yourbenefits first (GI BILL, VOC REHAB, etc...) before you can apply for it.

Have you considered looking at HPSP if you don't mind going back into the military?

Im not sure who your talking to, but definetly not me lol

Finally ETSed to California. WOW! 8 months of research and preparation are paying off, except all the stupid extra fees CA has for everything!!!
The most important thing I learned was about in-state tuition. After reading and asking to a lot people I was sure I was not going to get in-state tuition. But the last month in the Army I switched my state in my pay to CA and my last LES has CA as my state. I requested to see the Dean of Education and told her about my plans to live in CA for many years. I have a home lease, voter registration, got a CA driver'a license, vehicle registration, plus my wife is a CA resident. I also explained to her that in AUGUST 2014 Congress passed a law that will authorize in-state tuition to all veterans in any state. The schools will have until JULY 2015 to change their policies. She did some research and authorized me!!! Instead of $248 per unit I will pay $46. Plus, many more Financial Aid options are available now that I am resident. I am also completing a Special Circumstance Application to update my FASFA due to the lost of my income and hopefully more options become available.

I just wanted to let you guys know that the tools and programs are in place, you just need to learn the system and never accept a NO for an answer!!!! Good luck!

RLTW!!!

How's the desert nowadays? Probably still the same since I was there. Veteran 2003-2007 Marines. 2 tours while active, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Pakistan. Got out 2007 but worked at Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan, and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for another 3 years as a defense contractor doing IT work. I used my GI bill to pursue nursing and take all my pre-reqs for medical school, and now currently an RN. I've always dreamed of becoming a physician, so here I am taking it one step at a time to hopefully live my dream and be a physician in the military someday. I'm hoping to apply to med school this cycle, but my MCAT isn't till October so I'll probably wait till next cycle depending on my score.

Best of luck to you brother!

How's the desert nowadays? Probably still the same since I was there. Veteran 2003-2007 Marines. 2 tours while active, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Pakistan. Got out 2007 but worked at Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan, and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for another 3 years as a defense contractor doing IT work. I used my GI bill to pursue nursing and take all my pre-reqs for medical school, and now currently an RN. I've always dreamed of becoming a physician, so here I am taking it one step at a time to hopefully live my dream and be a physician in the military someday. I'm hoping to apply to med school this cycle, but my MCAT isn't till October so I'll probably wait till next cycle depending on my score.

Best of luck to you brother!

Regardless of your score, I would definitely wait until next cycle. Being complete in November is not a good idea even with an excellent application. Like any successful mission you only want to do this process once.

Regardless of your score, I would definitely wait until next cycle. Being complete in November is not a good idea even with an excellent application. Like any successful mission you only want to do this process once.
Thanks xffan624 for the reply. How about DO schools with later application deadline? I definitely want to turn in an excellent application, but always worried about pushing my mcat later which makes my application complete in November.

Thanks xffan624 for the reply. How about DO schools with later application deadline? I definitely want to turn in an excellent application, but always worried about pushing my mcat later which makes my application complete in November.

I'm referencing the MD applications. I'm not really comfortable commenting on whether you have a shot at the DO programs later. If you do get in though, declining an acceptance if you wanted to take a shot at MD would be an awkward situation.

My advice: Take the MCAT this year. Apply early next year and depending on the score to both DO and MD programs. I honestly was still in the military and had last taken my prereqs more than 7 years ago so when I applied I wasn't even sure I could do well on the MCAT. So I took it the year before I applied. After I did well on it, then I thought about applying.

I'm referencing the MD applications. I'm not really comfortable commenting on whether you have a shot at the DO programs later. If you do get in though, declining an acceptance if you wanted to take a shot at MD would be an awkward situation.

My advice: Take the MCAT this year. Apply early next year and depending on the score to both DO and MD programs. I honestly was still in the military and had last taken my prereqs more than 7 years ago so when I applied I wasn't even sure I could do well on the MCAT. So I took it the year before I applied. After I did well on it, then I thought about applying.
Thank you for the advice! I'm worried about how my mcat results will be this October since the prereqs were such a blur, but I have been studying a lot this summer, so hopefully everything will work out.

Thanks again for your advice!