Sophomore Check Up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted407021

Hey everyone. I'm resurrecting this thread to see if someone will bite.

I have seen a few threads here lately with sophomores wonedering where they stood so far, and I decided I should ask as well.

I'm a sophomore biology major. Following my freshman year I now have a 3.43 cGPA (calculus is not my friend). By the time I graduate I can bring it up to about 3.65. I am taking 17 hours this semester: ochem, physics, psych, economics and genetics and so far so good.

ECs: I have >112 hours at a need based clinic. This is just from July to the current time. I hope to have around 400 hours by the time I apply. I really enjoy the work and I can probably get a great LOR from the director. (we can get LORs from people like that, right?) I am a member of my school's Aikido club. I have been a clarinetist for 7 years and I plan on joining my school's symphony int he Spring. I am a 6 year member of a dove hunting club (although I'm a staunch vegetarian).

I will be prepared to take the MCAT in August of next year. How do I look? Thank y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Planning to apply for the 2015-2016 cycle yes? What kind of schools are you looking to apply to? Your ECs are relatively weak and don't paint a picture of a strong applicant or someone who is super sure they want to go into medicine. Then again you have plenty of time to clean that up if you're a first semester sophomore

I plan on applying for the 2016 entering class. I would like to apply broadly in the Southeast, but my first choice, based on location, class size and curriculum would be Mercer. Could you expound on what would make my ECs weak? Perhaps I should mention that my volunteering is 7 hours a week. Although I think you are trolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get your research going. You are involved in some unique clubs, so keep up with them, looking into leadership roles.

Try to find some other ECs you are interested in.

Thanks for the input, Lya. In addition to what I stated above, I am looking into volunteering with Upward Bound as I have a strong interest in education and in advising younger students.

Thanks for the input, Lya. In addition to what I stated above, I am looking into volunteering with Upward Bound as I have a strong interest in education and in advising younger students.

Even with that, I'm afraid that you will be a part of other cookie-cutter applicants. Are you interested in doing something along the line at the next level? Maybe something like conducting a semester research project on ways to improve education?

Even with that, I'm afraid that you will be a part of other cookie-cutter applicants. Are you interested in doing something along the line at the next level? Maybe something like conducting a semester research project on ways to improve education?

I am interested in being an advisor to upcoming college students. As far as research goes, I spent a bit of time in a cancer research lab but I didn't like the work. I think I would get more out of spending time improving my musicianship than working on education research.

Also, could the director of the clinic I work for write me a LOR?

I am interested in being an advisor to upcoming college students. As far as research goes, I spent a bit of time in a cancer research lab but I didn't like the work. I think I would get more out of spending time improving my musicianship than working on education research.

Also, could the director of the clinic I work for write me a LOR?

Yeah, the director could write a LOR. Did you find other research labs more interesting? Not doing research is fine, since some students do get in without them, but that might be a huge drawback in some schools. It doesn't have to be anything medically related. It could be something related to social science. But hopefully you will eventually figure out how to answer, "What's your research experience?"

Unless you are doing concerts nationally and/or won national awards as a clarinetist, that musicianship might not be appreciated as much as you hoped. I have been a cellist since I was young and even traveled to Europe for a concert tour, but many interviewers did not seem to care as much. Something to think about, as you prioritize and manage your time.