Sophomore Summer.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

Tawantinsuyu

What do you think would be the best way to spend my summer if I'm pre med? Not sure if I'm going to be taking the MCAT next year. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to check boxes, but my job options are...
a. Pool lifeguard, Probably would have extra time to volunteer in the hospital
b. Ocean lifeguard
c. Try and get a research position in a lab
d. Get a paid position in a hospital as a transporter or something

I think I'd enjoy doing any of these, but which do you think will benefit me most in the long run in terms of med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I did research, volunteered at a hospital, and studied for the MCAT. Just do something meaningful that will keep you busy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any of those should be fine, just don't do what I did.......Summer OChem is not fun.

If you are in a position to take the MCAT, definitely study for and take the MCAT.

Try and get a research position. If this cycle has taught me anything, it is how much productive research is valued at the more competitive schools.

What do you think would be the best way to spend my summer if I'm pre med? Not sure if I'm going to be taking the MCAT next year. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to check boxes, but my job options are...
a. Pool lifeguard, Probably would have extra time to volunteer in the hospital
b. Ocean lifeguard
c. Try and get a research position in a lab
d. Get a paid position in a hospital as a transporter or something

I think I'd enjoy doing any of these, but which do you think will benefit me most in the long run in terms of med school?

What do you think you'd enjoy the most? Which of these experiences have you had the least about of exposure to?

I think at least having exposure to research is something you should do just so you know sorta how it all works. However, I think getting clinical position is most important (EMT, nursing aid, or maybe even a PT aid). It really surprises me how many of the applicants can decide that they want a career treating patients with only doing around 100 hrs of patient contact experience (I never could...).