SOPOMORE GPA 3.97 (SCI 3.94).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kanseou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI. To all hard studing students.
I am posting for a my son

Major: Biology.
GPA: 3.98 (SCI 3.94) - 3 semisters finished(Sophomore).
Earned:48 credit hours
College ranking: US 50-130 (He did not study hard during High school years.)
ACT: 34
Race: Asian.
Volunteer: 100 hour finished in a hospital during summer vacation and keep doing 2-4 hours per week.
Forecast: He is like to studying major.

Is there a chance to receive a scholaship at a MD school ? like a MSTPs.
Is the college raking does matter for acceptance to a top ranking MD schools?(actually, this is a my main concern)

Please give any advise, if you have any.

Thank your for all the advises,
Have a nice holiday and happy new year.

Members don't see this ad.

College rankings do matter, but nowhere near as much as GPA, MCAT, clinical experience and research. Those should be his top priorities. A 4.0 student from UC Irvine is better off than a 3.6 student from Stanford.

Even if he doesn't get in a top tier school, he can still become a great doctor, however. Every American MD school is high quality and he will be able to land a good residency and become a practicing physician even if he goes to Rosalind Franklin.

^ Concur. If you are thinking of trying to transfer him to a higher ranked undergrad, I would advise against it if your sole basis is rankings...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Dougkas and Max.
I really appreaciate for the advices.
We are not thinking to transfer not at all. He like this college.

If anyone have opinion, please post for me.
Thank you again and Happy new year! to all.

College ranking matters very little for medical schools. And you don't need to go to a top medical school to be a good doctor.

Mr. Lamel
Thank you very much for your opinoin.
Happy new year!

HI. To all hard studing students.
I am posting for a my son

Major: Biology.
GPA: 3.98 (SCI 3.94) - 3 semisters finished(Sophomore).
Earned:48 credit hours
College ranking: US 50-130 (He did not study hard during High school years.)
ACT: 34
Race: Asian.
Volunteer: 100 hour finished in a hospital during summer vacation and keep doing 2-4 hours per week.
Forecast: He is like to studying major.

Is there a chance to receive a scholaship at a MD school ? like a MSTPs.
Is the college raking does matter for acceptance to a top ranking MD schools?(actually, this is a my main concern)

Please give any advise, if you have any.

Thank your for all the advises,
Have a nice holiday and happy new year.

Yes, there is certainly a chance for him to receive a scholarship at a MD school if he keeps that GPA up.
The other determine factor for being awarded merit scholarship would be his MCAT score. I would guess that this must be >95th percentile.

Yes, there is certainly a chance for him to receive a scholarship at a MD school if he keeps that GPA up.
The other determine factor for being awarded merit scholarship would be his MCAT score. I would guess that this must be >95th percentile.

Hi.
Thank you for your opinion.
I just want to give him a hope and encourage.
I will keep encourage him to get a good GPA and study MCAT.

Thank you again and Happy new year and Good luck to you all.