This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbPreDent94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people have posted their personal issues in hopes to find advice, so I'd really like to share mine and would appreciate any feedback. I have recently just transferred to a university as a biology major. This is my second semester here and it's going horrible. I had some serious personal family hardships this semester which included my sister dealing with a drug addiction, my best friend passed away, I found out my aunt has lung cancer, and I also discovered that my dad who I thought was passed away isn't actually my dad and my biological father is alive and we've been in contact. It has been anything but easy to concentrate on school and I'm on the fence with passing my classes. My finals are this week and I have to make ridiculously good grades on them in order to pass the classes with low grades(B's and C's). However, I explained my situation to my math teacher and he informed about the option to request a hardship withdraw which is basically the school withdrawing you from your classes without penalty. This withdraw will not show up on my transcript, but I hate to lose all my progress this semester and feel like it was all for nothing. Is it better to have lost a whole semester or explain to dental schools why my grades suffered?

ANY AND ALL ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I would take the withdrawal and run with it, and take what you learned this semester and apply it to the next.(if it's the class with a C) Very few schools if any would do withdrawals without it appearing on your transcript, consider yourself lucky.

Reactions: 1 users
I would take the withdrawal and run with it, and take what you learned this semester and apply it to the next.(if it's the class with a C) Very few schools if any would do withdrawals without it appearing on your transcript, consider yourself lucky.
agreed... I would take the withdrawal with a sigh of relief and get As next semester in the same class. Time will pass regardless.

Reactions: 1 users
I know a lot of people have posted their personal issues in hopes to find advice, so I'd really like to share mine and would appreciate any feedback. I have recently just transferred to a university as a biology major. This is my second semester here and it's going horrible. I had some serious personal family hardships this semester which included my sister dealing with a drug addiction, my best friend passed away, I found out my aunt has lung cancer, and I also discovered that my dad who I thought was passed away isn't actually my dad and my biological father is alive and we've been in contact. It has been anything but easy to concentrate on school and I'm on the fence with passing my classes. My finals are this week and I have to make ridiculously good grades on them in order to pass the classes with low grades(B's and C's). However, I explained my situation to my math teacher and he informed about the option to request a hardship withdraw which is basically the school withdrawing you from your classes without penalty. This withdraw will not show up on my transcript, but I hate to lose all my progress this semester and feel like it was all for nothing. Is it better to have lost a whole semester or explain to dental schools why my grades suffered?

ANY AND ALL ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!
Thank you.
A withdrawal is likely much cheaper than a post-bac or masters.