Sound familiar?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinpsychgirl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

YES!

I could have written that post 7 or so years ago. I went to an elite, private undergraduate institution and did my graduate work at a large, state university with a party school reputation. Certain people didn't get it at all (including my parents).

As it turns out, now that I'm done with school, I'm back at an elite private institution. Although it was just how it turned out - I've always made career moves based on the best match, not the reputation of a program to lay people. But it was almost as if you could hear the sigh of relief from my family, as if they were saying, "Phew, it all works out." :rolleyes:

I do believe that some of this is regional/cultural - I grew up in an affluent area of the northeast, and I think this might be less of an issue if my family and friends had a different frame of reference...

LOL yeah people don't understand. I've told people of a few programs I was not accepted and got the, "I thought you were doing well in school...my son/daughter got in THAT school out of HIGH SCHOOl! How could you not get in?!!!"

After awhile..it's not worth explaining LOL
Jon

Members don't see this ad :)
Jon4PsyD said:
LOL yeah people don't understand. I've told people of a few programs I was not accepted and got the, "I thought you were doing well in school...my son/daughter got in THAT school out of HIGH SCHOOl! How could you not get in?!!!"

After awhile..it's not worth explaining LOL
Jon

i agree it gets really annoying...i also hear: so you're not going to be a REAL dr.? thats always a good one hehe

The first part of your post doesn't describe me...but I'm very familiar with the last part. I wish there were a way to explain just how hard it is to get accepted. The numbers usually do the trick. The program I got accepted to's last stats show a 4% acceptance rate, that usually gets a nod and and eyebrow raise, but I wish they would ooh and ahhh a little more. This certainly is a process that can't be shared with family and freinds.

I basically had to work my way up from the bottom, started off at a rather seedy urban community college...most of my classmates were pretty depressing (not to mention the teachers) but I had a few good ones who sparked my interest in psychology and I did the whole work hard, get good grades thing and was able to transfer on partial scholarship to a respectable, though not prestigious state university. I'm hoping my rather unimpressive start won't hurt my chances...I don't know if the admission people will like the fact that I worked my way to where I am or be disappointed because I didn't start off at Yale or something.

I definitely know what you mean about people not understanding what it takes to get into grad school, though. My parents were all like, you should go to Harvard, with your 4.0 GPA they'll be begging for you to apply :laugh: . Yeah me and a few hundred thousand other students with 4.0's, Never mind that Harvard's clinical psych program isn't even registered on most lists of top schools and that I'd be in debt for the rest of my life and oh yeah, I have about as much of a chance of being accepted as I do of being struck by lightning while being chased by a purple alligator.

chaos said:
I have about as much of a chance of being accepted as I do of being struck by lightning while being chased by a purple alligator.

I love your analogy. Maybe if we used this to explain to outsiders about the probablility of getting into Harvard or Yale's clinical programs they would be able to understand a bit better.

I also agree that I expect a more impressive reaction when I tell people about a 3-5% acceptance rate. I usually throw in how it is easier to get into a med school then a clinical phd program, and then people seem to get it a bit better.

At least we can all appreciate our accomplishments :thumbup:

Psyclops said:
The first part of your post doesn't describe me...but I'm very familiar with the last part. I wish there were a way to explain just how hard it is to get accepted. The numbers usually do the trick. The program I got accepted to's last stats show a 4% acceptance rate, that usually gets a nod and and eyebrow raise, but I wish they would ooh and ahhh a little more. This certainly is a process that can't be shared with family and freinds.

agreed. another aggravation for me is that my brother is a first year med student (that's not the aggravation, I'm so proud of him), and most people have some concept about how hard it is to get into med school and how hard med school itself is, but have no idea that grad school, particularly for clinical psych. is (i guess) equally hellacious. so, i find busting out the old, "statistically, grad school for clinical psych is more selective than most med programs." then i at least get an, "ooohhh."

bigmood said:
agreed. another aggravation for me is that my brother is a first year med student (that's not the aggravation, I'm so proud of him), and most people have some concept about how hard it is to get into med school and how hard med school itself is, but have no idea that grad school, particularly for clinical psych. is (i guess) equally hellacious. so, i find busting out the old, "statistically, grad school for clinical psych is more selective than most med programs." then i at least get an, "ooohhh."

Erg. grad school in clinical psych is (on average) NOT as tough as med school.

ha ha, sounds very familiar...I go to a top 15 program, but I had barely heard of my university before I started researching clinical programs. It would be nice if my school had an immediately impressive name like Harvard or Yale, or if lay people recognized the prestige of attending a top clinical psychology Ph.D. program, but whatever, I'm over it. I'm not in grad school to impress my parents' friends.

JatPenn said:

This is something I've thought about before. They are very different for sure, but I think that a clin psych phd program is more challenging. Here is why I think so. My understanding of med school is that although it is alot of work, it basically amounts to rote memorizaton. The research component of the PhD programs requires a depth of understanding, the ability to link concepts, the ability to formulate new questions, opreationalize, and execute the study. I'm not certain they can be compared. I always find that on the whole bio-psych clases to be less challenging only because they tend to be more memorization related. But, when it comes to bio-psych research, then it gets extreemly complicated and challenging. Just some thoughts...

chaos said:
I basically had to work my way up from the bottom, started off at a rather seedy urban community college...most of my classmates were pretty depressing (not to mention the teachers) but I had a few good ones who sparked my interest in psychology and I did the whole work hard, get good grades thing and was able to transfer on partial scholarship to a respectable, though not prestigious state university. I'm hoping my rather unimpressive start won't hurt my chances...I don't know if the admission people will like the fact that I worked my way to where I am or be disappointed because I didn't start off at Yale or something.

I definitely know what you mean about people not understanding what it takes to get into grad school, though. My parents were all like, you should go to Harvard, with your 4.0 GPA they'll be begging for you to apply :laugh: . Yeah me and a few hundred thousand other students with 4.0's, Never mind that Harvard's clinical psych program isn't even registered on most lists of top schools and that I'd be in debt for the rest of my life and oh yeah, I have about as much of a chance of being accepted as I do of being struck by lightning while being chased by a purple alligator.

My story is exactly the same as yours! I don't think starting off at a community college hurt my chances at all, especially since I am finishing at a respected (though not ivy league) university. I got exactly the same number of interviews (2 at institutions that are members of the Academy of Clinical Psychological Sciences) and offers as everyone else that I spoke to who had similar credentials (GRE, GPA, experience, etc.). I think that my GPA, GRE scores, and research experience served as proof to the schools that I have what it takes! So, I'm in the same boat and will be beginning my graduate study at a well-respected Ph.D. program in Clinical Psychology this coming fall! As long as your application is strong and well-rounded, you will have the same opportunities as everyone else! Good luck!

Psyclops said:
This is something I've thought about before. They are very different for sure, but I think that a clin psych phd program is more challenging. Here is why I think so. My understanding of med school is that although it is alot of work, it basically amounts to rote memorizaton. The research component of the PhD programs requires a depth of understanding, the ability to link concepts, the ability to formulate new questions, opreationalize, and execute the study. I'm not certain they can be compared. I always find that on the whole bio-psych clases to be less challenging only because they tend to be more memorization related. But, when it comes to bio-psych research, then it gets extreemly complicated and challenging. Just some thoughts...

Agreed.

JatPenn said:

Did you mean getting into med school is tougher than getting into clinical psych grad school?

Mell-Dogg said:
My story is exactly the same as yours! I don't think starting off at a community college hurt my chances at all, especially since I am finishing at a respected (though not ivy league) university. I got exactly the same number of interviews (2 at institutions that are members of the Academy of Clinical Psychological Sciences) and offers as everyone else that I spoke to who had similar credentials (GRE, GPA, experience, etc.). I think that my GPA, GRE scores, and research experience served as proof to the schools that I have what it takes! So, I'm in the same boat and will be beginning my graduate study at a well-respected Ph.D. program in Clinical Psychology this coming fall! As long as your application is strong and well-rounded, you will have the same opportunities as everyone else! Good luck!

I also had a years worth of community college courses under my belt (from highschool and during summers) before I applied and I don't think it hurt at all. I would also say the the community college I went to had some great psychology classes, and they were on certainly on par to classes I could take at my home institution (course content equitable, stimulating, etc...).

clinpsychgirl said:
But, my very supportive and loving family and friends were somewhat baffled that not all of the programs invited me to interview. Imagine that, lol! :rolleyes: What's more, family/friends are shocked that I did not get a first round offer at every place I interviewed at! Believe it or not- some schools put me on the (gasp) waitlist! And then they seem to equate undergraduate reputation with the prestige of a graduate program. "Why didn't you apply to ______ (name your prestigious undergraduate institution with a crappy/and/or non-existent clinical psychology graduate program here)?" Sound familiar?

So it's fine. I tactfully deal with it. I patiently explain to the lay people in my life the difference between undergraduate programs and graduate programs, the overall competiveness of clinical psychology, and why I ended up at the best program for me. I am very proud of my program and am happy to share that with my less-informed family and friends (in addition to my colleagues, who don't need the long-winded explanation).

So true. My family couldn't understand why I didn't get in to schools my first 2 times applying--after earning at 3.85 at a top undergrad institution and having several publications under my belt.

Also, when talking to friends and co-workers, I was embarassed to admit that this year was my 3rd year applying. I prefaced it by saying "I applied to really, really, really competitive programs" and provided the acceptance stats.