South Pointe Hospital Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andypatch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of the residents from this program are out there and could possibly comment on the pros and cons of the residency, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is essentially zero credible information regarding osteopathic anesthesiology residencies to be found on this board. ABA board certification is the "gold standard" and few round here would disagree with me.

I was a student at South Pointe hospital for some time last year. While I did not get a chance to rotate in dept. of Anesthesia, I have met several residents and a program director. My impression is that it is a pretty good program, and residents are happy and are not over worked. Most of the residents are married with kids, and working hours allow plenty of time outside the hospital. It is a pretty small program, they take 2 residents per year, and this allows for close friendships among residents. South Pointe hospital is a part of Cleveland Clinic system, and residents do a portion of their rotations at the Clinic, it is my understanding that these rotations are excellent. Senior residents are able to secure very competitive fellowships at the Clinic and other top hospitals. Program director is excellent. He is an advocate for medical students and residents. It was very easy for me to approach him, and every time he was very willling to provide advice and info about the specialty and about his own program.

I would give this program a serious consideration.

I was a student at South Pointe hospital for some time last year. While I did not get a chance to rotate in dept. of Anesthesia, I have met several residents and a program director. My impression is that it is a pretty good program, and residents are happy and are not over worked. Most of the residents are married with kids, and working hours allow plenty of time outside the hospital. It is a pretty small program, they take 2 residents per year, and this allows for close friendships among residents. South Pointe hospital is a part of Cleveland Clinic system, and residents do a portion of their rotations at the Clinic, it is my understanding that these rotations are excellent. Senior residents are able to secure very competitive fellowships at the Clinic and other top hospitals. Program director is excellent. He is an advocate for medical students and residents. It was very easy for me to approach him, and every time he was very willling to provide advice and info about the specialty and about his own program.

I would give this program a serious consideration.

If you want a job outside a select few hospitals in Michigan, I would recommend an allopathic residency. If you want a fellowship at the REAL Cleveland Clinic, again I would recommend an allopathic residency. Don't make things any harder on yourself.

I spent some of my MS 3/4 years at South Pointe. Rotated in Medicine, Critical Care, Cardiology, Emergency, and Surgery. For a brief time I was interested in their Anesthesia program, but declined the interview after securing Allo invites.

The physical environment in the ORs is pretty nice. The entire area was renovated/added-on (not sure which), a number of years ago. The anesthesia machines were updated with each room having it's own Pyxis machine. From what I remember the case load at SP is fairly bread & butter. SP has residencies in a General Surgery, Ortho, Plastics, and Vascular. From what I remember the Vascular service is very busy. I'm sure some of the patients are sick but most of the complicated cases go elsewhere.

If you're wanting to stay with an Osteopathic program, then I would say that SP is a pretty good choice. They're a 275 bed community hospital so your cases are as such. Otherwise I would take the comments of others here seriously.

Last edited:
I am currently a CCF resident. Rotated with a guy from South Pointe. From what I hear its a cushy residency. Home call, bread and butter cases, with the opportunity to rotate at the CCF. And no the residents are not treated like outsiders when they rotate at CCF. If you went there I would think you would have good training and be prepared for anything. The certification though would likely leave you with limited places that you could be hired. Just my two cents.
NARC

The home call alone leads me to believe that you would NOT be prepared for anything when you finish. It sounds like you MIGHT be ready for an outpatient surgery center upon completion.

--do not do an osteopathic anesthesiology residency unless you have no other choice. ....and i mean no other choice
--i really thought that you had to do an MD residency to do MD fellowships but regardless of whether or not it is possible i have to agree it is unlikely to get a fellowship after an osteopathic residency. if you have heard of someone i guarantee they are the exception not the rule.
--cleveland clinic foundation is a fantastic program with absolutely NO prejudice vs. DOs -- go for the real thing. lots of DOs, zero prejudice against comlex, etc.
I am a DO in the CCF anesthesia residency, pm me if you want

The home call alone leads me to believe that you would NOT be prepared for anything when you finish. It sounds like you MIGHT be ready for an outpatient surgery center upon completion.

Well that is sort of a rough way of putting it but in essence I completely agree. I found that I had some of my most memorable experiences in residency on call such as airway adventures throughout the hospital. I guess you could come in from home for a case but it wouldn't be the same experience as being awoken from the call room in the middle of the night and going to the OR only to see a stretcher come FLYING around the corner with an emergent crani, trauma, AAA, etc.

That and the 8 hour finger reattachments:rolleyes:.

Long time reader, first time poster. However, since I'm a South Pointe resident, I figured now the most appropriate time to respond. Hopefully I can answer questions and dispel rumors.

We're a small program taking two residents yearly, with a linked AOA internship. We work alongside CRNAs and AAs to cover the 12 ORs and the endo suites. Cases are typically B&B as alluded to by Green. Call is, indeed, from home as we don't have in house OB or trauma. I would estimate I go in about every third night of call (q3-4) for an emergent case (e.g. appy, perf bowel, AAA, torsion) or airway. There is the CCF affiliation that affords us the opportunity to rotate there for hearts and SICU. OB and Peds are out of house also, other than the few peds (dental and ortho) cases we do in house.

Graduates don't seem to find trouble in securing jobs and/or fellowships. Last year's guys both took fellowships (Peds and CT [at CCF]). The two before them took private practice jobs. So it doesn't seem owning an AOA certification precludes one from finding work outside of Michigan as suggested, nor landing an Allopathic fellowship.

Now, I'm not as naive to think that my program is top tier and the best of the best. I realize there are certainly better programs out there, and being at a smaller institution does, perhaps, limit my exposure to certain things I'll encounter as an attending. Hopefully any deficiencies can be made up with my stunning good looks and rapier wit. ;)

Let and flames and/or questions begin, and feel free to PM me.

I don't think you'll get too many flames, but you never know around here:rolleyes:.

Anyways thanks for coming out of the woodwork and posting. Personally, I have VERY limited knowledge of AOA anesthesia residencies. Anything I spout off about them is pretty much anecdotal, either based on opinion or something I have read on this board over the years.

I do firmly believe that ACGME programs are the "gold standard". AOA programs are so far and few between that I think that many employers all across the country have very little familiarity with them and I think that this can hurt you in certain markets when looking for a job. I can't really comment on being "prepared" for private practice, I think more comments by you could be helpful.

Anyways, thanks for posting!

Thanks for posting. First-hand information is always more useful.

Major Charles Emerson Winchester III had rapier-like wit and he was a great chest surgeon.
You should be fine too!:)

Long time reader, first time poster. However, since I'm a South Pointe resident, I figured now the most appropriate time to respond. Hopefully I can answer questions and dispel rumors.

We're a small program taking two residents yearly, with a linked AOA internship. We work alongside CRNAs and AAs to cover the 12 ORs and the endo suites. Cases are typically B&B as alluded to by Green. Call is, indeed, from home as we don't have in house OB or trauma. I would estimate I go in about every third night of call (q3-4) for an emergent case (e.g. appy, perf bowel, AAA, torsion) or airway. There is the CCF affiliation that affords us the opportunity to rotate there for hearts and SICU. OB and Peds are out of house also, other than the few peds (dental and ortho) cases we do in house.

Graduates don't seem to find trouble in securing jobs and/or fellowships. Last year's guys both took fellowships (Peds and CT [at CCF]). The two before them took private practice jobs. So it doesn't seem owning an AOA certification precludes one from finding work outside of Michigan as suggested, nor landing an Allopathic fellowship.

Now, I'm not as naive to think that my program is top tier and the best of the best. I realize there are certainly better programs out there, and being at a smaller institution does, perhaps, limit my exposure to certain things I'll encounter as an attending. Hopefully any deficiencies can be made up with my stunning good looks and rapier wit. ;)

Let and flames and/or questions begin, and feel free to PM me.