South University school of pharmacy c/o 2018 Columbia SC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RN2010

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I just interviewed at South Columbia campus last Friday. anyone going there? mind sharing your stats and how long after the interview you were contacted.

Members don't see this ad.

I just interviewed there last Friday as well. I heard it takes 5 to 10 days

Pls how was the interview? What kind of question were asked?

Members don't see this ad :)
interview was really laid back. mostly situational questions.

Hi, anyone going to the Columbia campus this June?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! My name is Melanie, and I am the Vice President of the class of 2017, as well as the President elect for Kappa Epsilon Pharmaceutical Fraternity. I want to congratulate everyone for getting an interview! It does take up to 10 days to hear back. If you have questions feel free to ask!

Reactions: 1 users
Interviews are not bad are all..it is a closed file interview.

Hi Melanie..I am Rabiaa, I will be going to south Columbia this June..how was the first quarter, any advice ?

The best advice I can give you is start from day one. Do not get behind. The first two weeks will seem extremely easy. And then the wave hits. If you spent those first two weeks studying you will be fine. But if you spend those first weeks hanging out and relaxing, you are in for probably the roughest time of your life. My first quarter we lost 10% of our class. If you need help ask for it THE SECOND you need it. Don't wait until you are behind. What questions do you have?

Hi Melanie..I am Rabiaa, I will be going to south Columbia this June..how was the first quarter, any advice ?

Also, do you have an undergraduate degree? Are you strong in A&P? Are you strong in chemistry? Now is the time to brush up on those subjects, you will be expected to have a mastery of prerequisite coursework.

The best advice I can give you is start from day one. Do not get behind. The first two weeks will seem extremely easy. And then the wave hits. If you spent those first two weeks studying you will be fine. But if you spend those first weeks hanging out and relaxing, you are in for probably the roughest time of your life. My first quarter we lost 10% of our class. If you need help ask for it THE SECOND you need it. Don't wait until you are behind. What questions do you have?

Hi Melanie, I understand the accerelated program is rigorous, but is Q1 usually the toughest to get through compared to other quarters? And how do you do with time management?

Hi Melanie, I understand the accerelated program is rigorous, but is Q1 usually the toughest to get through compared to other quarters? And how do you do with time management?

Hey!
No, Q1 is the easiest quarter you will have. The material is the easiest (less complex concepts, less material to cover). I am not trying to scare anyone, but I do want you all to have an accurate picture of how this will go. No one understands the program until they do it. They will tell you during orientation, don't bother trying to explain to family and friends because they just won't get it. Q1 is where you need to figure out your study habits, what works, what doesn't, and solidify your time management. As the quarters progress the classes get harder, and there is much more material to cover. Don't underestimate any class, you will regret it. This program is 100 percent possible to anyone and everyone willing to put in the work, the energy, and make the sacrifices. Time management is something you will have to figure out for yourself, because you have to find what works for you. I schedule all of my time. When I get home from school I know I have X amount of work to do, and X number of hours to do it in. I have never had a problem with time management, I learned to manage my time during my undergraduate studies. Sorry. That was long. I hope I answered your question?

Hey!
No, Q1 is the easiest quarter you will have. The material is the easiest (less complex concepts, less material to cover). I am not trying to scare anyone, but I do want you all to have an accurate picture of how this will go. No one understands the program until they do it. They will tell you during orientation, don't bother trying to explain to family and friends because they just won't get it. Q1 is where you need to figure out your study habits, what works, what doesn't, and solidify your time management. As the quarters progress the classes get harder, and there is much more material to cover. Don't underestimate any class, you will regret it. This program is 100 percent possible to anyone and everyone willing to put in the work, the energy, and make the sacrifices. Time management is something you will have to figure out for yourself, because you have to find what works for you. I schedule all of my time. When I get home from school I know I have X amount of work to do, and X number of hours to do it in. I have never had a problem with time management, I learned to manage my time during my undergraduate studies. Sorry. That was long. I hope I answered your question?

No, that was a great reply, encouraging and thank you so much for the insight. Many students like yourself have said time management is key. Look forward to meeting you in June!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, that was a great reply, encouraging and thank you so much for the insight. Many students like yourself have said time management is key. Look forward to meeting you in June!

No problem!! If you have any more questions just ask or PM me. I will see you at orientation!

Reactions: 1 users
great advice.. Can't wait to meet you all :)

Hey!

would like to start preparing for Q1 since I have some free time.. what would you suggest ?

would like to start preparing for Q1 since I have some free time.. what would you suggest ?

You need to be strong in A&P for your Pathophysiology course, so brush up on that. There won't be time to go back and look up things you have forgotten. Calculations. Work calculations backwards and forwards. If you don't know where to start, go to the PTCB website, they usually have practice problems for technicians getting their state certification. I would HIGHLY suggest learning your drugs. Our class was tested on Brand/Generic, Pharmacologic and Therapeutic classes for the top 200 drugs according to Sigler. Sigler does have an app but it's 30.00, I suggest getting the drug cards when offered to you, I think during orientation, because they are better to study with than the app (I have both). There's really not much else you can prepare for in advance.

Thanks for all these info~ week ago I just got the offer from Columbia Campus. I am still thinking if I should go I am worrying about the distance learning, never had experience like these....

Thanks for all these info~ week ago I just got the offer from Columbia Campus. I am still thinking if I should go I am worrying about the distance learning, never had experience like these....

The distance learning really isn't any different than if they were there. And we do have professors lecture from our campus as well, but the majority are from Savannah. It is all real time. If you have a question, you just touch your microphone button and ask it. There isn't anyone in my class nor the class above us that has expressed any difficulty with the distance part. For your first two quarters there will ALWAYS be a professor in the room with you, if you need clarification after the lecture is over or for whatever you need. And the professors in Savannah are just as available to us as they are to the Savannah students. You email them that you need to talk if you have questions and you can set up a private video conference in one of the conference rooms, or Skype from your laptop, or via the normal telephone or email communications. But there is always someone there to help if you need it. It's not like we are in a room all alone with no access to any professors.

the interview was about 20 minutes. straight up 4 situation questions and then u can ask them questions if u have any. Tour was given alternatively depend on which interview section u assigned into
Pls how was the interview? What kind of question were asked?[/QUOT

The distance learning really isn't any different than if they were there. And we do have professors lecture from our campus as well, but the majority are from Savannah. It is all real time. If you have a question, you just touch your microphone button and ask it. There isn't anyone in my class nor the class above us that has expressed any difficulty with the distance part. For your first two quarters there will ALWAYS be a professor in the room with you, if you need clarification after the lecture is over or for whatever you need. And the professors in Savannah are just as available to us as they are to the Savannah students. You email them that you need to talk if you have questions and you can set up a private video conference in one of the conference rooms, or Skype from your laptop, or via the normal telephone or email communications. But there is always someone there to help if you need it. It's not like we are in a room all alone with no access to any professors.
Thanks for such a informative informations!!!!!

That was a very good information. May you please share your first year experience? Such as, How's your experience so far? How's the material? study habits? how's the exam is like? What do you think about the material that the professor presented during lecture? How's your classmates? How's the housing and living situation around you??? If you have another choice, would you choose to go to South, SC?

I love being at South, and I would pick it over and over again. BUT, I have always done well in accelerated classes. It is not for everyone. The material is hard, and they give you a lot of it very fast. The exams are hard. The quizzes are hard. It's not supposed to be easy. We will have people's lives in our hands, and if it were easy everyone would do it. I study every single day. I never get behind, I never put it off until later because there won't be time later. There are some people in my class that are struggling but I think that is due to their own personal study habits. This program is not impossible if you are willing to do the work and make the sacrifices. There is a lot of apartments near the school so housing shouldn't be a problem.

That was a very good information. May you please share your first year experience? Such as, How's your experience so far? How's the material? study habits? how's the exam is like? What do you think about the material that the professor presented during lecture? How's your classmates? How's the housing and living situation around you??? If you have another choice, would you choose to go to South, SC?

I love being at South, and I would pick it over and over again. BUT, I have always done well in accelerated classes. It is not for everyone. The material is hard, and they give you a lot of it very fast. The exams are hard. The quizzes are hard. It's not supposed to be easy. We will have people's lives in our hands, and if it were easy everyone would do it. I study every single day. I never get behind, I never put it off until later because there won't be time later. There are some people in my class that are struggling but I think that is due to their own personal study habits. This program is not impossible if you are willing to do the work and make the sacrifices. There is a lot of apartments near the school so housing shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again for such a great info., Do you the school last year passing rate and retention rate? How many students graduate ontime??

Thanks again for such a great info., Do you the school last year passing rate and retention rate? How many students graduate ontime??

That is all a matter of public record, I don't know the statistics off hand. You can look it up or email the school's admissions committee, and they can send it to you.

anybody going here looking for a roommate?

anybody going here looking for a roommate?

Hi! Do you know of any places and would you be looking for a place close to the university? I'm still a little 50/50 however at the moment about living alone/roommate

Hey guys! Congrats on getting into the program or/and getting an interview invite.

I am currently attending South University SOP in Columbia, SC. I will be graduating in 2016. I am trying to find a roommate from May20-Jan6th if anyone is interested. Thanks!

Do you know how many seats are remaining.

No ma'am. They don't tell us.
I interviewed on March 27th an I got an email last thursday saying I was on the waiting list and I called and spoke to the assistant dean and she informed me that i was close to the top of the list but she didn't have an exact number for me at the moment....Do you know if they heavily utilize the waiting list and how many people in your class or the class below you was accepted off the waiting list

Just curios if anyone that interviewed on March 27th got accepted

http://www.sacscoc.org/2014decemberActionsandDisclosureStatements/SouthUniversityBDG.pdf
You may want to contact SACS and see how this affects their pharmacy program. The entire school/university is on a probation period and they may not be able to grant degrees if their accreditation is revoked. Just trying to let you know since I know of someone who had something similar happen to him.

For anyone that was alarmed by this post, I want to clear a few things up for you. No, South University is NOT in danger of losing their accreditation. This PDF was taken from the website of the SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools). This is a regional accreditation board who we are fully accredited by. SACS accredits the entire university, and as a Pharmacy program we are also accredited by ACPE (Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education). There is absolutely no reason to believe that we will lose our accreditation. Many schools are put on warning every year. This is how you know the system works! The Accreditation boards are there to keep everything running at the standards they set. They are there to PROTECT US. If you have any questions at all regarding this subject please feel free to contact me. If I cannot answer your questions, I will put you in direct contact with someone who can!

South is also under government watch in terms of financial situations. This is very alarming.

hey I'm interested in applying to South univ. and i have a 3.2 gpa, pharmacy experience, senior in undergrad, but i plan on not taking my pcats. do you think i have a chance of getting in?

Hey everyone! My name is Melanie, and I am the Vice President of the class of 2017, as well as the President elect for Kappa Epsilon Pharmaceutical Fraternity. I want to congratulate everyone for getting an interview! It does take up to 10 days to hear back. If you have questions feel free to ask!
Hi, my interview is next week at the South Carolina campus! what are the topics for essay questions and how do I prepare for the interview? Also, what kind of situational questions do they ask?

Hi,
I just had an interview at the SC campus. How is the program so far? Did u like the school?