South University School of Pharmacy (Entering 2016) C/O 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seems like there is some other bias going on with him, you toured but did not apply?
I toured last year and wanted to see how the college is before applying. Have you been to the campus?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
those saying South isnt as good of a school, in all seriousness PCOM would be lower ranked, right? Since its a relatively new school. Ive been accepted to South, hoping to hear from other two schools in GA.

I believe PCOM and South are both unranked. I would probably choose South over PCOM fwiw.

Choosing between PCOM and south I would go with south because it's a 3 year program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I've been on the Savannah campus, interviewed a couple weeks ago, got accepted but declined the offer.

Why did you decline it now?

Interviewed and accepted at multiple other programs since Savannah,
Some factors were nicer and newer facilities, govt grant funded research programs, and experience of faculty...

Oh okay. That's good. Good luck bud!

why the hell is this in pharmacy thread? there is a subthread for this

I toured last year and wanted to see how the college is before applying. Have you been to the campus?
I turn everything in, on time but haven't heard back from the school. Everytime I call I get sent to the voicemail. I leave VM and no one calls me back. I'm worried cuz I haven't gotten an interview invite and I really like the school. Anyone else in my shoes??

For those who got acceped....how long was it take to hear back from the school? Either accepted/rejected/ or waiting-list? I had the interview on March 4, and still not hearing back from them.. So nervous. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who got acceped....how long was it take to hear back from the school? Either accepted/rejected/ or waiting-list? I had the interview on March 4, and still not hearing back from them.. So nervous. :(
the response was pretty fast, i interviewed jan 8 and accepted on 13th. I remember they said notification is given within 1 or 2 weeks.

the response was pretty fast, i interviewed jan 8 and accepted on 13th. I remember they said notification is given within 1 or 2 weeks.
Thankyou so much...
Addition to that...did you recieve a phone call from the school???
Thanks!

Hey I interviewed March 4th also and just got the acceptance email yesterday (3/10/2016)

Hey I interviewed March 4th also and just got the acceptance email yesterday (3/10/2016)
Thanks!
Still not hear anything back from the school yet. I'm a little worried.

I have a silly question hoping that some of you who got accepted can share with me....what questions specificly did you ask the interviewers at the end of your interview?

Thanks.

I have a silly question hoping that some of you who got accepted can share with me....what questions specificly did you ask the interviewers at the end of your interview?

Thanks.
I asked about their chances of residency after graduation. What sort of rotations did they offer in their 4th year? For me I talked about nuclear pharmacy since that sounds like an interesting field to me. Just ask them any questions within reason that you have about their school concerning what you want to do.

Hi everyone, I was on the waitlist and finally got an email yesterday. I feel so rushed and stressed lol. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone needed a roommate in Savannah. I'm moving in June. Please pm me if so!

Hi everyone, I was on the waitlist and finally got an email yesterday. I feel so rushed and stressed lol. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone needed a roommate in Savannah. I'm moving in June. Please pm me if so!

You should have received a link to to the South University class of 2019 Facebook page in an email. You will get better replies on Facebook than on here. That is what worked for me :)

You seem to have a lot of preconceptions about what pharmacy is like without actually having started pharmacy school yet.
As for attendance, since it's a 3 year program, I suppose attendance could be important. Not to me personally or my style of learning. But mandatory attendance checks seems very juvenile and maybe even patronizing of "professionals".
As for dress code, I suppose it is a requirement for retail and industry pharmacists. But the hospital pharmacist that dresses professionally on a daily basis is like a unicorn. It's extremely impractical. Once again, "dress codes" are something the matriculating students should have learned before entering pharmacy school.
I suppose I shouldn't say the school is "unknown", but less reputable at least compared to the other schools in Georgia. They have lower admission standards (I believe they just eliminated the PCAT requirement, low as it was at ~50% previously) and lower NAPLEX/MPJE pass rates. Though their 3-year curriculum may have something to do with that, my colleagues are in general agreement that, generally, the students are not usually the best (though better than PCOM).
As for eating. Literally all pharmacists, retail and hospital, eat on the go or at their workstation.

In any case, South University's parent company went through, and lost, a rather large federal lawsuit having to do with their financial aid and recruiting practices.

In Decemeber, they were put on a 12-month warning by SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges) which is their accreditation association for the entire college due to their financial situation. This is because they most recently lost their case in November, so things are looking on the pessimistic side for them. Don't think they have a problem with the ACPE accreditation, but they're pretty lazy anyway.

Hey there! Super late, and not that it matters, but I just wanted to give some background into the attendance situation. If a student is doing poorly in their classes, they will be sent to meet with the Academic Progressions Committee, at which time their attendance is reviewed as well as a number of other factors. If a student hasn't done well and hasn't been attempting to come to class, they are less likely to be given "Probation", and more likely to be dismissed from the program. Another reason is that some professors build in-class participation into their rubric, for a small percentage of the grade, if a student wasn't in class for the exercise, they get a 0; some professors also build into their syllabi a max number of lectures a student can miss before they start losing letter grades in the class, though this is less often the case. Just wanted to shed some light on the "why", although I can totally understand how some would perceive this as patronizing.