Southern California Dentist vs Texas Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheToothHurts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a fourth year dental student at a Texas Dental school and was having a hard time deciding where to practice. Ultimately, it is between staying in Texas or living in California. For the most part, from my understanding, it is better to stay in Texas because southern California is super saturated with dentist, cost of living is higher, and that there is a state income tax.

However....I have family living in California and I am willing to make sacrifices. I was just wondering for those dentist that practice in so-cal if they can make an honest living and what it is like. And for those dentist who have moved from either cali to tex or vice versa what was the outcome. It is a very difficult decision for me to make. On average, most first year dentist in Texas can make ~$200k, and I was wondering how that compares to dentist in Cali. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As a new grad in SoCal (LA, IE, OC, SD etc)you can reasonably expect $500-550/day, no benefits, and having to combine several part time jobs into a full schedule. The only fulltime associate positions will likely be at hmo or dentical offices. Good luck.

Hi, I am a fourth year dental student at a Texas Dental school and was having a hard time deciding where to practice. Ultimately, it is between staying in Texas or living in California. For the most part, from my understanding, it is better to stay in Texas because southern California is super saturated with dentist, cost of living is higher, and that there is a state income tax.

However....I have family living in California and I am willing to make sacrifices. I was just wondering for those dentist that practice in so-cal if they can make an honest living and what it is like. And for those dentist who have moved from either cali to tex or vice versa what was the outcome. It is a very difficult decision for me to make. On average, most first year dentist in Texas can make ~$200k, and I was wondering how that compares to dentist in Cali. Thanks!

Since when does a first year dentist in Texas earn 200k?

Reactions: 1 users
Since when does a first year dentist in Texas earn 200k?

probably near the Rio Grande or West Texas is all I can think of. I got some pretty crazy offers in rural Southern Arizona and New Mexico - except there's not much outside other than land.