Space Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halcyonpage

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the recent hullabaloo about Mars water and colonization, what is your take on the future of space medicine? I am considering branching into this field, though I am currently more into bioengineering.

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't thought about it. Baylor has a space medicine program (Houston, go figure).

Reactions: 1 user
With the recent hullabaloo about Mars water and colonization, what is your take on the future of space medicine? I am considering branching into this field, though I am currently more into bioengineering.

Lots of fun and important science questions.
I think you're pretty early to be deciding, but bioengineering is a great tie into space medicine.

When the time comes to think about 4th year rotations, take a look at this one if it is still around:
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/aerospace-medicine-clerkship/

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Aerospace medicine is actually pretty boring in practice- you're mostly doing pre-flight physicals for pilots and astronauts. If we start doing more space travel and such, the field could gain in importance, but that's going to be a looooooong way off.

It's boring now.... Give it 15 years, when I'm actually going to be practicing. I hear a lot of colonization efforts are starting soon after that.

It's boring now.... Give it 15 years, when I'm actually going to be practicing. I hear a lot of colonization efforts are starting soon after that.

As one who had family employed by NASA and who follows the space industry a little more closely than the general public, I have to seriously ask (especially regarding space colonization):

Are you for real?